Rislone engine treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: cparksjr

One of the ingredients that would not show up on a report is the N-Butyl Acetate. Though it is a small percentage, it does a very good job at cleaning sticky lifters, piston ring grooves and especially the vapors accumulate in cold spots within the engine to help dissolve sludge.

Very interesting. It's information like this that will foster an interest in rislone. That's alot better that saying, "It's a secret" or "It's magic" or something similar. Thanks alot!

This is old news. It was even mentioned (by Gary Allen, I believe) in one of those epic king and I threads from back in the fall. VOAs are not the end-all-be-all of analysis. What would a VOA tell you about arx or LC20 or MMO?

csparks, isn't n-butyl acetate the same chemical that is in many household cleaning products? Or am I thinking of AMSOIL Engine Flush?

Originally Posted By: BrianWC

csparks, isn't n-butyl acetate the same chemical that is in many household cleaning products? Or am I thinking of AMSOIL Engine Flush?

I believe you may be thinking of butyl cellosolve, aka 2-butoxyethanol or ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. I do remember brutal acetate also being an excellent solvent though, it's also used as a flavoring agent :)

It likely is in 409, and as you say in many other household cleaning products. It is an ***excellent*** degreaser but the jury is still out in regards to degree of health hazard.

I have been using Rislone for 30 years because way back when I was teenager i knew an owner of an auto repair shop that used to build motors for ed Pink. He told me the ONLY oil additive he would ever use was Rislone.

Granted, there have been improvements in oil additives over the years but Rislone works. It isn't a strong cleaner which is why they recommend you use it all the time. I don't and never will.

I use it just before an oil change when i have to add a quart and drive for a few hundred miles or more. If your engine is dirty inside you will see the oil get black real quick with the Rislone. Quicker than it normally would with just straight oil.

I have never owned a new car and have always added Rislone with the first oil change on every used car. It works. I just keep changing the oil with Rislone until it stays clean. Sometimes two or three oil changes has been necessary with 2 thousand mile intervals. After that maybe 500 to a thousand miles before an oil change.

If you ever buy a used car that has been neglegted and is filthy inside give it a try. I have never used Auto RX so I can't compare the two. I figure if it works it doesn't need to be fixed.

Last edited:
FastSUV,

Rislone is a good product that's been around for a long time. Now we have Auto RX which I have no experience with but they must be simular cuz they both clean the inside of an engine slowly over time.

Regarless of the brand Rislone is fine. Just make sure you don't leav it in too long cuz it's noted it strips right down to the bare metal and in some circles that's bad cuz the oil can't leave a film/coating of oil on the part.

Durango

That's usually an action reserved for thin flushes and it's a product of the viscosity and the chemistry. Almost all cleaners use polarity to help clean, even arx.

Originally Posted By: Durango
FastSUV,

Rislone is a good product that's been around for a long time. Now we have Auto RX which I have no experience with but they must be simular cuz they both clean the inside of an engine slowly over time.

Regarless of the brand Rislone is fine. Just make sure you don't leav it in too long cuz it's noted it strips right down to the bare metal and in some circles that's bad cuz the oil can't leave a film/coating of oil on the part.

Durango

Well it is a lubricant...I think the appeal is that it is a detergent and not a solvent so it should not hurt to leave it in for 3k??? I have done that on many cars with no ill-effects. It does get the oil blacker faster. I like to give i at least 2500 miles in the crank case to clean. If it stripped it down to bare metal wouldn't they be out of business by now since the recommend it every 3k OCI??? Of course I'd never do it every oil change, but once a year is fine?

That's usually an action reserved for thin flushes and it's a product of the viscosity and the chemistry. Almost all cleaners use polarity to help clean, even arx.

Huh?? I am trying to understand that statement. Are you comparing a cleaner like Rislone to something like a solvent cleaner like Motor Flush?

FastSUV,

Sorry for that statement. It was only a figure of speech that I quoted from opinions of later. I meant that if you have no sludging issues then in reality there's no need to leave it in so long.

Once per year is fine.

Durango

FastSUV Huh?? I am trying to understand that statement. Are you comparing a cleaner like Rislone to something like a solvent cleaner like Motor Flush? [/quote said:
I am saying the opposite. The thinness of the flushes is the reason for their potential to cause wear. Rislone is thin-ish, but not like that other stuff. Granted, I have no idea what effect Rislone has on the host oil (if any) or if it's actually effective. I used it long ago in a time well before BITOG.

I have bought and tested many motor oil additives in the past, and the two only additives i use even to this day are Rislone and MMO ( I use MMO When I can't find rislone). It all started when I was given the keys to my grandpa's 1986 Ford F-150 pickup with the 302 V8. My grandpa was slipping in health really bad in his later years, so the truck was never maintained. When I drove the truck from Pine City Minnesota to Portland Oregon I was surprised to see that the truck in it's condition made it in over 2000 miles. Two days after I got back, the Valve cover and oil pan gaskets started to seep. So My dad and I pulled off the valve covers and to our astonishment, there was about 2" of sludge. We cleaned up the mating surfaces and installed the valve covers and oil pan. Then we put a wix filter on, filled it up with 3 quarts of Quaker state, and two quarts of Rislone. After that we drove the truck from Portland to the Dalles, and back to Portland. all together was about 151 miles. Drained out the oil while engine was hot, and all that came out was black. Then I started using the regimen of 4 quarts of Quaker state, 1 quart of rislone and 1 wix filter. One year later the valve cover gaskets started to seep (these were 10 year 100,000 mile warranty gaskets). So off with the valve covers, and to my amazement NO SLUDGE!!! In fact the valve train was so clean I could eat off it! I installed the new gaskets and carried on with my life. I kept the truck for 2 more years with no problems, until that very sad day. I had just re painted the truck, and took it out for a spin. I was t boned by a guy going 60 mph in a 40. So the moral of the story is... Don't bash other products If you haven't used them!!! just because it costs about 5X cheaper than ARX doesn't mean it's a bad product. I don't doubt ARX's cleaning ability, but at the same time I have never tried it. With that thought in mind I am not going to bash it. What I will say is that rislone works for me, and You just simply can't argue with that.

Nice report! Sucks to have gotten T-Boned.

I can't speak for Rislone engine treatment, but I can for MMO. MMO flat out works, time and time again. It seems to have small but growing following here. I've gotten some PM's from members who tried it with good results. I'm pretty sure you'll be equally impressed with MMO.

AD

My Grandfather used Rislone, don't know if he used MMO.....I never got to know him. When I started to learn about cars he passed from cancer. I wish I could have learned things from him because he was very knowledgeable in a lot of different things.

I think they are both viable products. But if you have time and money I believe the RX will do the most amount of good.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It would be interesting for someone here with a severely sludged engine to try Rislone for a few oil change intervals and report back with results, especially on an engine where you can remove the valve cover easily.

Been there, done that over 30 years ago. Rislone works. I've used Rislone and only Rislone to clean many a used, dirty engines based on what a former engine builder for Ed Pink told me 35 years ago. "Rislone is the only oil additive I would ever use". I've used it ever since anytime I bought a used car with a dirty engine which has been most of the time.

What I like about Rislone is that it isn't an agressive cleaner therefore if you want to clean a really dirty engine out it doesn't flush everything out all at once which can clog oil galleries resulting in a blown engine.

I still use it to this day and it still works fine for me. I don't add it at every oil change only when I think I need it. I am using it right now to get rid of some lifter noise in my '73 Cadillac (rebuilt motor 12 years ago with 80,000 miles on it) that has only been driven a few times a month with a long trip once or twice a year for the last eleven years.

I use mobil 1 and since it is now being driven daily it has had a few issues such as a noisy valve train. It is quieting down slowly but surely. Rislone always works. It just takes a little time.

Originally Posted By: cparksjr
One of the ingredients that would not show up on a report is the N-Butyl Acetate. Though it is a small percentage, it does a very good job at cleaning sticky lifters, piston ring grooves and especially the vapors accumulate in cold spots within the engine to help dissolve sludge.

So why would a VOA not show many of the ingredients the MSDS says it has in it?

Can you post any VOA's or other info for us?

Originally Posted By: Crashbox

I believe you may be thinking of butyl cellosolve, aka 2-butoxyethanol or ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. I do remember brutal acetate also being an excellent solvent though, it's also used as a flavoring agent :)

That is the stuff in the "golden touch" flush series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back