Supertech failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my Saturn tonight. The filter used as a ST3614 and I noticed that my oil had a lot of glittery wear metal in it when I checked it with a flashlight. I checked my oil filter with a flashlight, and inside two of the pleats were flattened out. All the other pleats looked tightly together, but two of them side by side were much larger than the others. Did the filter media fail and that's why I'm seeing so many particles?

This was with Pennzoil 5-30 ran for 3500 miles.

Think so... I would rather use a [censored] oil then a [censored] filter. IMO ST-Filters aren't very good. I would use a WIX/Purlolator/Amsoil filter.

I'm gonna take a picture and post it. Should be up in a half hour or so.

I doubt it's a failure. The spot where the media is crimped together will usually stretch the two pleats that are connected. It's that was with every filter I've cut open and seen.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
By the way; oil change on a Friday night? That's pretty hardcore!
crackmeup2.gif
Isn't that supposed to be Ladies night? Saturday is Oil Change day isn't it? Do I have an old "Guys Handbook to the world" ?

It was also starting to snow at the time and my car was dusted by the time I got it into the garage. It then began to melt and drip all over my face while I was under the car. I did the oil change around noon so it wasn't night yet.
grin2.gif

I tend to change the oil in my car around 3500 to 4000 miles. These engines tend to have a lot of blowby, and the timing chain is pretty sensitive to fresh oil. Plus, I'm dead broke and can't afford a new car. I did this oil change for a grand total of $14.

It's the auto-focus on your camera. Does it have a manual mode that you can focus yourself. The problem is the infrared eye is focusing on one part but you are trying to take a picture of another...

The 3614 is the exact filter I use for my car.

It would be easier to see what's going on if you could cut the filter open with a dremel or a hacksaw. Just stick a screwdriver or something into an inlet hole to open the ADBV, and tip the filter over to drain it thoroughly.

At one time this very website praised the ST filters.

So either the quality and/or maker of these filters has gone down or it was just the "product of the month" like so many other things around here. Remember when all the rage was Havoline, GC, PP and now its YB.

you kid'n me? hehe... i do mine in 15 minutes.. drive into garage, right up onto ramps, all tools in a drawer for my oil change, new oil and filter in the trunk.. good to go!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
How much metal is in the oil? Can you isolate the particles to see what colour they are?

Some of the particles in the oil look silver and some look like copper.

I will cut open the filter tomorrow. Right now it is real cold in the garage and I don't feel like hanging around in there. Plus I've had some beers and don't want to work with a hacksaw at the moment.
10.gif

I will post pictures of what I find tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

That doesn't sound like filter failure to me.....

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: GMFan

That doesn't sound like filter failure to me.....

No, that sounds like bearings......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back