Supertech failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can see in the photo what they look like. Notice how some look silver and some look copper? That's basically what I see. I didn't see the particles, but they just basically glimmered when I shot light at it. This is abnormal?

Oil in Pan

Hmm, well this engine has always seen oil changes between 4k and 5k. The previous owner had every single oil change receipt and handed them over to me when I bought the car.

I guess I'll get a UOA next time around and see what is going on with my engine.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
At one time this very website praised the ST filters.

No. At one time *SOME* on this very website praised the ST filters.

--not everyone did.

That looks like a Champion E-core ST filter based on the hard to see picture. Exposed media on the return side with a nylon lattice cage. The particles look to be quite large. Iconsistent pleat spacing is common so if that is what you see I would not judge on that. Cut around the base with a drimel tool if you have one and look for any kind of gap or hole in the media. If you have to use a hack saw remember that you will likely create some metal particles in the process. Those particles did not come through an intact filter media.

I believe this board is inhabited by Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde. Last week I started a thread about the apparently thin media in an ST filter-cutting it was like a cutting a piece of regular paper-and I got torn to shreds. Looks like I might have been correct in my assumptions after all.

Steve

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
That looks like a Champion E-core ST filter based on the hard to see picture.

It's not; the 3614 has a metal cage with a spring loaded bypass valve on the bottom baseplate.

Originally Posted By: steve20
I believe this board is inhabited by Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde. Last week I started a thread about the apparently thin media in an ST filter-cutting it was like a cutting a piece of regular paper-and I got torn to shreds. Looks like I might have been correct in my assumptions after all.

Steve

I doubt it. Cutting the media in no way tells you it's efficiency at various micron ratings. Visible chunks of metal aren't going to make it through any oil filter media regardless of how easy it is to tear...

Quote:
Plus I've had some beers and don't want to work with a hacksaw at the moment.

Wise move!!
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

It's not; the 3614 has a metal cage with a spring loaded bypass valve on the bottom baseplate.

Looking into it, the filter media is enclosed by this grey looking plastic lattice. I'm gonna get the hacksaw out tonight and take some pictures of what I find. I'll keep you all posted.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I tend to change the oil in my car around 3500 to 4000 miles. These engines tend to have a lot of blowby, and the timing chain is pretty sensitive to fresh oil. Plus, I'm dead broke and can't afford a new car. I did this oil change for a grand total of $14.

Nothing at all wrong with a budget oil change at 3k-4k. Its exactly what I do!!! Im just running the M1 because I got it for free.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Looking into it, the filter media is enclosed by this grey looking plastic lattice. I'm gonna get the hacksaw out tonight and take some pictures of what I find. I'll keep you all posted.

33.gif

My bad, the 3614 is an e-core. My car uses the 4967.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
At one time this very website praised the ST filters.

So either the quality and/or maker of these filters has gone down or it was just the "product of the month" like so many other things around here. Remember when all the rage was Havoline, GC, PP and now its YB.

Well, I'll give you the chronology in terms of ebb and flow here.

Old style "clicker" Champ filters. Worked just fine, but showed the highest incident of fatigue related issues (breached media at the sealing seam) in services of unknown length in at least one quick lube situation.

Ecore introduction: Some initial bonding issues with the fabric/fiber/whatever end caps. Not truly an issue ..but something to nitpick. The combo ADBV/bypass kinda squished everything together anyway ..but nitpick's pick
21.gif

I don't recall ever seeing a BITOG user have an issue with the clickers outside of the quick lube owner (under the Warner label) and he would never bother to qualify how long the filters had been in service. The Warner's that were used on GM vehicles didn't have the issue ..so this pointed to the clicker bypass as being the longer term problem as the media saturated.

The clicker has been abandoned in the ST line in favor of the "blue button" and outside of one user putting an Ecore ST filter on a high performance Chevy big block with the in block bypass defeated/plugged, I can't recall an issue with them.

I used to buy them every time I went to Wally's. When they were $2.02 ..it was hard to resist. Now that they're so much closer to MC ..(I miss the BOGO AATG though)
21.gif

I got around to cutting it open. There was A LOT of oil inside trapped between the pleats and the outer casing. From now on I may stab the end of the filter to drain it, because just tipping it over intact does not get it all out. Made me feel bad that I've been throwing them out all along with all that oil inside.

Anyway, here are the pictures. The filter seemed to be intact just fine, and the filter media was pretty stable. It at least verified to me that my engine is pretty clean. I did not see any metal particles in the pleats.

filter4.jpg

filter5.jpg

filter6.jpg

filter7.jpg

edit: I should note that in the 2nd picture...that metal particle ring junk near the bottom is where I cut it open, so disregard that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Tim H.

Some of the particles in the oil look silver and some look like copper.

That doesn't sound like filter failure to me.....

No, that sounds like bearings......

See if they stick to a magnet. If they do then its not bearings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back