Evans Waterless Coolant and good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was surfing the net for race car parts(mmm) I came across some coolant that is listed as Evans Waterless Coolant. I tried the search feature but only a couple of hits that I found mentioned it but didn't list or discuss if it worked well for broad applications or if it is any good at all. The site mentions " Evans NPG+ Waterless Coolant is the recommended coolant for all gasoline and diesel engines" according to their site. Yet on a different page it mentions that it should only be used with a modified waterless coolant system. Is this stuff any good? Evans coolant link Evans Coolant They list three different "coolants" if you will and a prep fluid. $32.50 a gallon seems a little steep to me, but who knows. Anybody with knowledge or experience with this stuff let me know if it's any good,

97Prizm

Evans coolant works very well and is a long life coolant that uses no water. I have used it in a Dodge truck with Cummins engine(NPG+), but if I had to do it all over I would not have bothered.

Here is my opinion. If you have a problem cooling system or just need that last extra bit of cooling, maybe there is reason to use it. The problems I see are that it costs too much initially- wow is it actually up to $32/gal now? Then you have to make sure to get ALL the water out of your system before using, which is almost impossible unless you just rebuilt your engine and can also somehow drain your heater core completely. Then, if you do any work down the road like a new water pump, you have to drain and reclaim your coolant, or go back with new. So keeping several gallons of it in the vehicle is required or you end up contaiminating it with regular coolant or water in a pinch out on the road somewhere.

Just go into it with your eyes open. Oh yeah, and you will have to buy a low pressure radiator cap, like 7 psi.

Ran it for years in my Honda Valkyrie motorcycle. Good stuff, never have to worry about corrosion and could run the bike with a zero pressure cooling system, which lengthens the life of the hoses. Worked very well. I used the NPG+ which I beleive is less viscous than the original formula.

Isn't this stuff just a 100% propylene glycol base with a proprietary additive package?

I sort of wonder about this, since its viscosity has to be considerably higher than water/glycol mixtures. I'd think heat transfer would also be lower unless there's some sort of magic ingredient in the glycol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back