2018 Silverado 5.3 due for a coolant flush - Dexcool alternatives?

It's about time to flush the cooling system in my 2018 Silverado 5.3L gas pickup and I would like to switch to a "better" coolant, if one's available. I've been reading about the Shell Rotella ELC (and ELC NF) coolants some guys have switched to in their gassers, and I was wondering if this stuff was suitable for my '18 Silverado.

Do I need the NF stuff, or is the regular ELC formula ok to use?

Do I need to use any sort of special cleaner / cooling system flush chemical to prepare my system for the new coolant type? Or is just thoroughly flushing it with water adequate?

In regards to the last question, what has been the maintenance history of the cooling system? How many miles are on it? Still all original coolant?

i ditched dexcool at 145kish when my OE water pump died and have been running on prestone universal made to roughly 40/60 with distilled water. i dump the lower radiator hose once a year and refill. no issues at 234k

Just did a swap on coolant before the winter on my 2018 Sierra as it has been over 5 years on the coolant. Just stick with Dexcool, there is no reason to waste time and money to switch to a different coolant. These engines are not like the ones in the late 90s that suffered from the lower intake gaskets not being compatible with Dexcool.

In regards to the last question, what has been the maintenance history of the cooling system? How many miles are on it? Still all original coolant?
The truck has about 50,000 miles on it (original coolant), but I'm concerned about the coolant being over 5 years old.

you could also check for electrolysis and pH level of the coolant in there now along with what temps it specs to and decide if you actually need to replace it...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Back