Zerex Asian Red vs. Toyota Long Life Red Coolant and mixing?

The most I can deduce is that a P-HOAT is a P-OAT and is a hybrid....
Yes, Phoat and Poat, same thing. Adding the P (phosphate) to the Oat makes it a {H}ybrid Oat AF. All the AF pictured are Asian PHoat/Poat AFs. All fine to mix with older shorter service interval Phoat Toyota Red, or to get longer service interval, by itself with a system flush.

As an aside, Ford used G-05 Hoat AF for a while. But in that case instead of P, they add a low concentration of silicate to the OAT AF making it a Hoat AF

I had heard about Lexus techs who preferred to replace the pink with red on their own cars.

But without overthinking, my 2006 car came with pink so I’ve used it ever since (3 drain fills).

One thing is pink only comes 50/50. What if a person lives in Alaska? Red comes in 100%.
Interesting...I wonder if that is because they are not economical as diluted Pink. Irritating Toyota only makes the Pink in diluted form. I'm trying to figure out the difference between the Pink and the Red now. I haven't landed on a strong resource explaining that yet.

Yes, Phoat and Poat, same thing. Adding the P (phosphate) to the Oat makes it a {H}ybrid Oat AF. All the AF pictured are Asian PHoat/Poat AFs. All fine to mix with older shorter service interval Phoat Toyota Red, or to get longer service interval, by itself with a system flush.

As an aside, Ford used G-05 Hoat AF for a while. But in that case instead of P, they add a low concentration of silicate to the OAT AF making it a Hoat AF
Ah, interesting...so what is in the Toyota Red then? Is there phosphate or another inorganic component? I noticed the Recochem product suggests the Red is for OAT, but then they say you want their Pink coolant if you want the phosphate additive...suggesting their Red does not have the phosphate in it.

Yeah, whereas these coolants are only marketed as being good for 5 years (though Peak suggests a service life up to 150K miles if you can get that many on the car in 5 years),
Some flavors of Peak are good for 15 years 400,000 miles,

peak.jpg

...so what is in the Toyota Red then?..
As a search will reveal there's many threads on this forum about the now superseded LL Red, at least one showing label listed ingredients and inhibitors. Toyota has said the newer SLL compatible with older LL Red,, good enough for me. I'd stick with any of the Asian Phoat AFs listed in this thread for topic vehicle.

This may help . Scroll down .

As a search will reveal there's many threads on this forum about the now superseded LL Red, at least one showing label listed ingredients and inhibitors. Toyota has said the newer SLL compatible with older LL Red,, good enough for me. I'd stick with any of the Asian Phoat AFs listed in this thread for topic vehicle.
Interesting. Ok, I'll search through the site a bit. Any idea what the primary difference is between the Long Life and the Super Long Life formulas? Most of the aftermarket companies seem to suggest these coolants changed circa 2009. I'm guessing they are designed more for the increased amount of aluminum in the system, will introduction to aluminum engine blocks, and the reduction of cast iron (now that the engine blocks are aluminum). I wonder how the inhibitor packages changed and whether we can see the difference on the labels?

Ah, thanks for the explanation! I missed that comment on the 6 flushes. I used to do this with a fairly elaborate setup with a pump and a reservoir of distilled water. I don't have that available to me right now, so thanks for commenting about this. I was considering doing the same as you did, but flush all the color with regular tap water from my hose, and then try to flush that out with the drain/fill with distilled water. I don't know what would happen in that case, but I do know I won't be able to monitor how much tap water is still in the system, like I can the monitor the left-over green coolant color. :). Thanks!
You can do that with the hose, assuming your tap water is not super hard. My tap water is...yuck. Would never do that in the South Carolina/Georgia states. GA is worse......

If you use the hose, maybe grab a couple of distilled water gallon jugs. Not expensive. Dollar stores have them. Then, do two final drain and fills.

Peak has full strength,

81SCkk8381L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

But it's more red then pink. If you want pink, get the Toyota fluid,

View attachment 203631

Not sure why you're concerned over a few dollars on a service you only do every 100,000 miles.
I'm sticking with toyota coolant. After the initial charge the maintenance interval drops from 10 yrs/100kmiles to 5 yrs/60kmiles. Since only about a third comes out each drain, I plan on doing it every couple of years to protect the water pump and head gaskets. It's so cheap and fast, why risk damage.

I'm sticking with toyota coolant. After the initial charge the maintenance interval drops from 10 yrs/100kmiles to 5 yrs/60kmiles. Since only about a third comes out each drain, I plan on doing it every couple of years to protect the water pump and head gaskets. It's so cheap and fast, why risk damage.
That's why you do 5-6 drain and refill cycles with distilled water. To get virtually ALL the old coolant out. Then you are good to go for 10 years/100K miles.

Someone said above takes 6 drain and fills with distilled water and I agree.. I do it 6 times, then, get an extra 2 gallons of di water and drain while filling for 2 gallons. Catching it is fun. As soon as the second gallon is in, I shut the petcock and let it run until warmed up, heat on (its always on and always warmed up for each drain/fill.)

Then, one last drain. Water coming out should be clear as a bell. Crystal.

Fill with a gallon of concentrate. My sons car drains almost exactly 1 gallon, so works nicely (close enough anyway.) Then 50/50 fill of the reservoir. Squeeze the hoses while running with cap off. Then, cap it and drive. Keep an eye on reservoir next few days. May need to add a touch until all air is out.

Pay attention to capacity of whole system, versus what drains out. Adjust accordingly.

I have done it like this for 35 years, inluding going from DexCool to Peak GLobal Lifetime. Never had an issue.
I agree with you however ......... I see no mention of testing it afterwards

I agree with you however ......... I see no mention of testing it afterwards
Honestly, I live in SC and I know I put in 50% concentrate (based on capacity of system in manual.). So roughly 50/50. For my neck of the woods, even if I’m off slightly, not an issue.

Always good to check though. You’re right.

That's why you do 5-6 drain and refill cycles with distilled water. To get virtually ALL the old coolant out. Then you are good to go for 10 years/100K miles.
Distilled water doesn't have a ph buffer or any cleanup chemistry, I'm weary of just distilled water in my system for multiple reasons. I just bought a 2012 4runner at around 137,000 miles. Previous only owner never replaced coolant based on service records and a visual of fluid. I did 2 drains and fills with 55/45 and running it for a day in between. I wanted to get the new chemistry to help clean up the system. In the summer I will do it again. Our dealers in cold country only carry 55/45, they used to have full strength but don't carry it anymore (my dealer mixed the mix and my corolla's coolant turned to slush at -20F, never been back since). I think even longlife coolant breaks down way before 10 years/100k. I cut that in half with the corolla My hunch is that reports of failed water pumps and even head gaskets, especially in older 4th gen 4runners which have gasket coatings dissolved by coolant (car care nut has a series on 4runner) are due to aged coolant. With 4runner I'm thinking to put this service together with differential and transfer case service every 2 years.

My dad’s Chevy went 25 years on the original dexcool factory fill, one of the most reviled coolants in history. So anecdotal evidence suggests that using almost any compatible coolant mixture will be OK.

I recently drained my old Scion (167k) and I used the Supertech red 50/50 premix with no reservations. I’m probably going to use Xerex Asian in the new one when I do it, mostly because I already bought it.

whats the factroy spec coolant for my 2003 3.5 kia sorento? it had green coolant in it when i bought it in 2016. looks and smells like prestone

First, let's define some terms.

IAT - Inorganic Acid Technology
OAT - Organic Acid Technology
HOAT - Hybrid Organic Acid Technology
PHOAT - Phosphated Hybrid OAT
POAT - May stand for Poly OAT or Phospated [H]OAT

IAT is the 'old school green', it uses only inorganic components, which almost always include silicates.

OAT uses only organic components, such as Sodium Benzoate or Sebacic acid.

HOAT is a hybrid of OAT and IAT, generally an OAT with Phosphate (PHOAT) or Silicate (Si-OAT) added.

Silicates are typically used by European manufacturers as they are compatible with the hard water in Europe, but the silicate concentration has to be maintained at the proper levels, and they can drop out and form deposits.

Phosphates are not compatible with hard water, but this isn't an issue in Asia, so Japanese / Asian manufacturers use it for its superior ability to protect aluminum, and because it doesn't have the drop out issue.

Silicates and Phosphates are NOT compatible with each other, and should never be mixed as it can cause accelerated corrosion, silicate drop-out, and even gelling. This can actually get worse the lower the concentration of silicates gets, so it's important to thoroughly flush the system before changing, and to never top up a PHOAT with silicates.

Okay, so what about Toyota coolants?

Toyota Red is a first gen PHOAT with Sodium Benzoate acid and Molydenum.

Toyota Pink is a second gen PHOAT with Sebacic acid and almost certainly Moly.

Toyota is unique as far as I know in the light vehicle market for using Moly in their coolant, most likely for water pump protection.

Zerex Asian Formula is a first gen Sodium Benzoate PHOAT, all the colors have the same chemistry, it's just a different die, no Moly.

All three of these can be safely mixed, but for the longest lasting performance you should stick with pure Pink.

The Toyota coolants were engineered by CCI and are blended in the US by CCI Illinois, the Zerex formula is from Glysantin.

I strongly suspect that the Peak Pink may be sourced from CCI Illinois and the exact same as the Toyota Pink, but I can't confirm that.

It's been a while since I looked at this stuff, and it's mostly off the top of my head so their may be errors, but hopefully this clears up some of the confusion.

Back