Zerex Asian Red vs. Toyota Long Life Red Coolant and mixing?

I'm using red Pentofrost A1 in my Toyota engines. Stocked up on that years ago when it was on sale for cheap. I have 1 gallon of concentrate left on shelf. Good stuff, never had any problems. If the price is as crazy now as people suggest, will use Toyota OEM stuff going forward.

Thanks to X15 for the lesson!

Reactions: X15
As a search will reveal there's many threads on this forum about the now superseded LL Red, at least one showing label listed ingredients and inhibitors. Toyota has said the newer SLL compatible with older LL Red,, good enough for me. I'd stick with any of the Asian Phoat AFs listed in this thread for topic vehicle.
The Toyota Red (long life) coolant is NOT superseded by Toyota Pink (super long life). Both products are readily available from Toyota and you should use red or pink depending upon your application. And YES, I know that Toyota stated that the pink is backwards compatible. With that said there have been some reports of pink being used in "red" cars and causing W/P leaks, I don't know if they are verified however.
I will continue to use red since it's available and it's what my Toyota has been running since it rolled off of the assembly twenty-four years ago.

Red (long life) Part Number :

00272-1LLAC-01​

Pink (super long life) Part Number :

00272-SLLC2​

The Toyota Red (long life) coolant is NOT superseded by Toyota Pink (super long life). Both products are readily available from Toyota and you should use red or pink depending upon your application. And YES, I know that Toyota stated that the pink is backwards compatible. With that said there have been some reports of pink being used in "red" cars and causing W/P leaks.......
Okay, the use of older short service interval Toyota LL Red now "replaced" by SLL pink 'for use in Toyota vehicles since ~2004'. Since Toyota says SLL completely backward compatible and has a more than double the service life (years) interval of the old LL Red, it would be my choice in any case. Personally, I've found LL red to be hard to obtain and relatively pricey, not that I would use it in place of SLL pink anyway. As for the water pump reference, been covered before this sub forum. I'm satisfied with the explanation posted by a member using a Toyota tsb reference to it, that the so-called wp concern with SLL non conclusive. More rumor based.

As for the semantics of the use of the term "superseded" a quick definition check shows, " to replace something, especially something older or more old-fashioned". Which in the case of old LL red vs current SLL pink ' in Toyotas since ~2004 (20 years)', is accurate. Not to mention Toyotas SLL completely backward compatible statement for original LL red vehicles. Cheers.

Last edited:
Okay, the use of older short service interval Toyota LL Red now "replaced" by SLL pink 'for use in Toyota vehicles since ~2004'. Since Toyota says SLL completely backward compatible and has a more than double the service life (years) interval of the old LL Red, it would be my choice in any case. Personally, I've found LL red to be hard to obtain and relatively pricey, not that I would use it in place of SLL pink anyway. As for the water pump reference, been covered before this sub forum. I'm satisfied with the explanation posted by a member using a Toyota tsb reference to it, that the so-called wp concern with SLL non conclusive. More rumor based.

As for the semantics of the use of the term "superseded" a quick definition check shows, " to replace something, especially something older or more old-fashioned". Which in the case of old LL red vs current SLL pink ' in Toyotas since ~2004 (20 years)', is accurate. Not to mention Toyotas SLL completely backward compatible statement for original LL red vehicles. Cheers.
Actually red is cheaper when you factor in the idea that red is full strength vs pink that is 50/50. One gallon of red yields two gallons.

Actually red is cheaper when you factor in the idea that red is full strength vs pink that is 50/50......
Actually, you would need to factor in that SLL has a subsequent to FF Toyota recommended service interval of 5 years/60k miles vs 2years/30k mi. for the old/replaced since 2004 LL red. So, twice the service interval of the old LL Red. I'm thinking that service interval factored in SLL with newer PHoat inhibitor pack and chemistry still the better choice., That said, if using old LL Red works for you, cool. Cheers.

Last edited:
Back