Castrol 5w30 GMC 2500hd 6.0- 1800mi, still "bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still running short OCI's to keep an eye on things.

Looks like the truck does not like Castrol too well.

Oilreport.jpg

Here's the virgin oil that was sent in.
OilReport2.jpg

Thoughts?

Here's a report from my 2004 HD 6.0 (Same motor,etc) running M1 5w-30.

Maybe its wise to change the oil to a different brand?

oilreport3.jpg

Do a 2k OCI with Pennzoil yellow bottle (either 10w-30 or 5w-30) then do a 3k OCI with the same THEN do a UOA.

You'll be surprised with the UOA results I'd bet.

Also, check carefully the air filter / intake system. SI is too high. My Silverado (which had the same air cleaner / intake system as yours and I ALWAYS had low low single digits. (and my truck saw 4x4 off road a lot of the time)

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: buster
Switch to Mobil 1, Bill's favorite.
grin2.gif

Well, since he is changing oil every 2k that may not stress Mobil 1.

6 quarts of Mobil 1 and a UOA every 2k... :2cents:

I'd love some of that action!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Do a 2k OCI with Pennzoil yellow bottle (either 10w-30 or 5w-30) then do a 3k OCI with the same THEN do a UOA.

I was going to suggest the same thing for your 07. The first OCI should clean out any remaining GTX and sodium. There is a decent sale of the yellow bottle at Pep Boys this month (5qts+PurePrem=$9.99 AR). The price is not low enough for Bill's standards but it should be OK for you.

Your 04 looks like a classic case of a dirty air filter.

Last edited:
Wouldn't sweat it to much...GM's seem to take a long time to break in, but do try YB to see if it 'helps' the process along....

There is nothing wrong with the GTX from the UOA, oil is still in good condition. YB has served me well and is often on sale so thats why I'm recommending it.

The 04 I had posted using the M1 ran high numbers then leveled off. This 07 has had a spike as you can see. Some is from the GTX itself but I'm now starting to wonder whats going on. This past OCI was about 80% city driving, VS 95% hwy on the others.

I hate to but maybe I"ll drain the GTX and put something else in.

Bear with me here....
Is Pennzoil still "not good" "causes film" "its got wax" etc?
How about Valvoline?

Maybe my truck just does not like GTX ??

Thank you kindly for your replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back