'22 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 2.5k OCI. High oxidation??

Just got my latest analysis back on my Crosstrek. This is the first time running Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. Previous reports were running Schaeffer 9000 0W-20, but it became hard for me to obtain. I've heard great things about the ESP on here but I'm not sure I like it. Subaru calls for 0W-20 SN or SP rated I believe, but I thought I'd try the 0W-30 ESP, which doesn't carry that rating. I'm not liking the high oxidation and low TBN at such a low OCI. Any thoughts on this or should I be concerned? I've been keeping my OCIs short due all along due to the fuel dilution and will continue to do so. Wear metals otherwise seem very good other than a little AL increase, but it is not flagged. I also sent the same oil sample to Blackstone but they take about two weeks longer than Horizon to report back. I sent one to Blackstone because I wanted a particle count test done. Horizon won't do it on used engine oil. I'm testing different oil filters on the car. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Blackstone's fuel dilution number will be much lower than Horizons and unfortunately they don't test for oxidation or TBN for free like Horizon does so I won't see that on the Blackstone report. Should I switch back to the 0W-20 or keep running the ESP 0W-30, which I have a bunch of? I will post up a comparison of the Horizon and Blackstone reports once Blackstone gets around to doing my sample.
IMG_2285.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Intersting
Just got my latest analysis back on my Crosstrek. This is the first time running Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. Previous reports were running Schaeffer 9000 0W-20, but it became hard for me to obtain. I've heard great things about the ESP on here but I'm not sure I like it. Subaru calls for 0W-20 SN or SP rated I believe, but I thought I'd try the 0W-30 ESP, which doesn't carry that rating. I'm not liking the high oxidation and low TBN at such a low OCI. Any thoughts on this or should I be concerned? I've been keeping my OCIs short due all along due to the fuel dilution and will continue to do so. Wear metals otherwise seem very good other than a little AL increase, but it is not flagged. I also sent the same oil sample to Blackstone but they take about two weeks longer than Horizon to report back. I sent one to Blackstone because I wanted a particle count test done. Horizon won't do it on used engine oil. I'm testing different oil filters on the car. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Blackstone's fuel dilution number will be much lower than Horizons and unfortunately they don't test for oxidation or TBN for free like Horizon does so I won't see that on the Blackstone report. Should I switch back to the 0W-20 or keep running the ESP 0W-30, which I have a bunch of? I will post up a comparison of the Horizon and Blackstone reports once Blackstone gets around to doing my sample
Looks OK. Try a thick 0w-20 like PUP 0w-20. Oem filters. Over thinking a little. Jmo
Looks OK. Try a thick 0w-20 like PUP 0w-20. Oem filters. Over thinking a little. Jmo
Just wondering about the high oxidation and low TBN for such a short OCI.... You think that's fine? For as highly touted as ESP is on here, I expected more from this oil.

Looks fine. Oxidation number due to the base oil composition (Ester/AN).

Here's a VOA.

Last edited:
I'm definitely a newbie and no where as knowledgeable as some on this site, but I believe I saw UOA's of HPL's oils also having higher oxidation but this was deemed as completely normal, seeing a VOA of it showed higher oxidation due to the type of base oil being used. May be the same scenerio here.

Interestingly enough. When I last sampled the oil in my Formula boat, the oxidation was even higher, yet Horizon didn't seem concerned about that. It was 37. That's what confuses me.
IMG_2287.jpeg

I'm definitely a newbie and no where as knowledgeable as some on this site, but I believe I saw UOA's of HPL's oils also having higher oxidation but this was deemed as completely normal, seeing a VOA of it showed higher oxidation due to the type of base oil being used. May be the same scenerio here.
I think you're on to something.🤙 See my reply in here regarding my boat sample. Why wouldn't they say the same thing with this sample that they did with my boat?🤷‍♂️ Strange...

Intersting

Just wondering about the high oxidation and low TBN for such a short OCI.... You think that's fine? For as highly touted as ESP is on here, I expected more from this oil.
TBN is not as significant a factor as it has been in the past. New formulations for many oils show lower TBN.

Oxidation value is due to the presence of an ester. Nothing to worry about. Viscosity is perfect.
Nothing to worry about with the slight spike in AL? It wasn't flagged so I assume not. Everything was trending down so.... I know I'm overthinking things but I can't help it, I'm OCD.😂

Here's a VOA.

Awesome, thanks. I feel much better seeing that, plus by all the comments on this thread. I will sleep better at night now.😂

Here's a VOA.

I just noticed the 3 AL in the VOA of the 0W-30 in this link. I guess that explains why my AL went up a few clicks!😎

They're owned by Amsoil so they're biased towards their nemesis, Mobil 1. :ROFLMAO:
Too funny!!
OP: Everything appears to be well in order on your Subaru & nothing to worry about other than keeping an eye on the fuel. Even the fuel may not "Increase" over a longer drain but instead maintain the 2-3% range throughout the ODI. But keep the testing around to confirm that trend.

So here we are two weeks after Horizon processed the same sample I mailed Blackstone at the same time as the Horizon sample and nothing! I'm not surprised though. Blackstone takes forever to process samples. This along with the woefully inaccurate fuel dilution numbers is why I left Blackstone after 10+ years....🤦‍♂️ Anyone want to guess how much longer it will take for Blackstone to get me my report? I say one more week, so three weeks longer than Horizon. They are both in Indiana so location can be ruled out.😂

Back