2018 CR-V, Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, 4502 miles

All engines 5,000 max.
I appreciate your opinion. Plenty of people running longer than that here that would disagree with you. Depends on the engine and the driving style. Someone driving 30000 mi a year does not need to be changing their oil 6x each year IMO.

I appreciate your opinion. Plenty of people running longer than that here that would disagree with you. Depends on the engine and the driving style. Someone driving 30000 mi a year does not need to be changing their oil 6x each year IMO.
That’s not an opinion. I was a tech at a whole lot of manufacturers and am a tech currently at BMW. We do oil changes at 5,000 miles. I have seen what happens when drains are extended.

All engines 5,000 max.
That’s not an opinion. I was a tech at a whole lot of manufacturers and am a tech currently at BMW. We do oil changes at 5,000 miles. I have seen what happens when drains are extended.
The next "Tech's" opinion is 7500 miles 😂. There's more to it than just a blanket statement of "All engines 5,000 miles" needing an oil change.

Agree. Especially when you see the HPL intervals of 20K plus and the insides are pristine. Dnewton has some on I believe supertech conventional.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
All the engines I’ve seen with extended drains were ‘prestine’ on the inside as well. The rings get worn out. Just bc the oil is full of detergents doesn’t mean it’s a good oil. Toyota is the best vehicle there is for reliability and even those are oil burners at 100,000 miles if oil is extended to 10,000 miles. Honda engines get ruined by fuel dilution if not changed at 5,000 miles. I’ve seen this a whole lot. Marketing are the ones responsible for the manufacturers setting the maintenance schedules, it’s all to say we have the lowest cost of ownership on our vehicles. If you read the fine print it also says normal service is 10,000 mile intervals, severe service is 5,000 or sooner. Severe service is what 99 percent of all consumers fall under. All techs agree 5,000 miles is the best for engine longevity.

Toyota is the best vehicle there is for reliability and even those are oil burners at 100,000 miles if oil is extended to 10,000 miles. Honda engines get ruined by fuel dilution if not changed at 5,000 miles. All techs agree 5,000 miles is the best for engine longevity.
I have a Toyota and a Honda, neither of which get changed at 5000 miles. Here's the valve train on the Honda at 122,000 miles with changes averaging 7500-9000 miles. My Toyota has 98,000 miles and doesn't burn any appreciable volume during its current 11,000 mile OCI (soon to be changed). "All techs agree..." no matter what comes next, that's not going to be factual.
accord valve train.jpeg

All the engines I’ve seen with extended drains were ‘prestine’ on the inside as well. The rings get worn out. Just bc the oil is full of detergents doesn’t mean it’s a good oil.......................Marketing are the ones responsible.....................................
Interesting conclusion. But nonsensical anecdotes are no better than marketing claims. Same ballpark, nosebleed seats. Further away from the truth.

There are certain engines that produce sufficient particulates, and/or fuel dilution, and evaporated fuel byproducts. A great example is the stunningly well built Ford 3.5L Ecoboost, which will last forever if treated well, and fail much more rapidly if not. The oil change is the only way to remove these circulating contaminates. We can, to some extent, combat rapid timing chain wear under these conditions by stepping up in viscosity. However, when the oil reaches an unfavorable level of contamination, we do see increased wear rates.

In my example the oil is fully contaminated by 4500 miles. Changing at 5000 and not 10,000 drastically reduces the time the engine operates on contaminated oil. Extending timing chain, phaser and piston ring life likely into the 400,000 mile range.

I have a Toyota and a Honda, neither of which get changed at 5000 miles. Here's the valve train on the Honda at 122,000 miles with changes averaging 7500-9000 miles. My Toyota has 98,000 miles and doesn't burn any appreciable volume during its current 11,000 mile OCI (soon to be changed). "All techs agree..." no matter what comes next, that's not going to be factual.View attachment 190742
That engine is port injected and not direct injection nor turbo. I’m a tech in the businesss and have worked for pretty much every manufacturer. I know 100 percent how it all works. Majority of people have their oil changed at 5,000 miles who are Maticulis with maintenance. The amount of money spent on vehicles is not worth trying to risk damaging equipment, especially when it clearly states 5,000 miles for severe service. Direct injected engines produce more soot than diesels and is dispensed in the oil. Go try and convince others about all that BS bc I’m not the one.

That engine is port injected and not direct injection nor turbo. I’m a tech in the businesss and have worked for pretty much every manufacturer. I know 100 percent how it all works. Majority of people have their oil changed at 5,000 miles who are Maticulis with maintenance. The amount of money spent on vehicles is not worth trying to risk damaging equipment, especially when it clearly states 5,000 miles for severe service. Direct injected engines produce more soot than diesels and is dispensed in the oil. Go try and convince others about all that BS bc I’m not the one.
That 122,000 mile Honda engine is a 2014 K24 Earthdreams engine. From Wikipedia: "In 2013, Honda began production of freshly designed K24W. It was an entirely new 2.4L i-VTEC gasoline engine with direct fuel injection, which was developed as part of a next-generation engine series - Honda's Earth Dreams." My Toyota is a 2018 with low tension rings...losing no measurable volume of oil in 10,000 miles for over 97,000 miles so far....

I have a Toyota and a Honda, neither of which get changed at 5000 miles. Here's the valve train on the Honda at 122,000 miles with changes averaging 7500-9000 miles. My Toyota has 98,000 miles and doesn't burn any appreciable volume during its current 11,000 mile OCI (soon to be changed). "All techs agree..." no matter what comes next, that's not going to be factual.View attachment 190742
How does the cylinder walls look like? My Honda is as clean as this but cylinder walls show scratches although very early stage. Maybe worth checking for you as well.

How does the cylinder walls look like? My Honda is as clean as this but cylinder walls show scratches although very early stage. Maybe worth checking for you as well.
I can only assume the cylinder walls look fine...as I'm observing zero symptoms of any problems. My posts were only to provide examples of engines that do NOT exhibit problems even though the OCI's are well above 5000 miles....even more than double that mileage.

Back