2018 CR-V, Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, 4502 miles

Given the operating environment 4.4% fuel dilution isn’t bad at all. Heck, my 2.4 Honda DI engine has registered 5% in highway driving with good wear numbers. I’d guess something else was contributing to wear metals whether air filtration or short tripping. And maybe, just maybe, 0w-20 would not be the worst choice. I’d agree a time-based interval would be in order.

Last edited:
Yeah - that’s reason enough to change more often …
Have a MitiVac ? Could leave a 20k filter for two OCI
I do leave it on for two OCI. I just twist it off, empty it and twist it back on. It's very easy to reach on this car and the sure grip they use makes it easy to remove without damaging the can.

Here’s what the air filter looks like.
IMG_0326.jpeg

I think HONDA recommended owners of CR-V with D.I. to drive interstate speeds to lower ( burn off ) the fuel in the oil . That too lowers oil level . Happened once with '18 Accent with the G.D.I. when going on long drives of 60+ on interstate . Don't drive long trips as much , thus no low oil levels since .

Last edited:
This run of 4500 miles lasted 315 days at an average of 14.3 miles per day, so mostly short trips. At that rate, we're averaging 5217 miles per 12 months. Winter lows got down below 10F several times and below 0F once this past winter.

This entire run, with the exception of two tanks, was run with 91 octane. I noticed that with 91 octane, the oil level no longer rose on the dipstick. Unfortunately, that did not keep the fuel dilution away, though I do believe it helped. Imagine what the fuel % would be if the oil level was noticeably rising.

I chose M1 ESP 5W30 due to its high viscosity and reputation as a "stout" oil, which I figured I needed with this vehicle. I wanted the ending viscosity to be no lower than a thin 30 grade, so success.

I don't believe I've ever seen a TBN this low, regardless of miles on oil. But 4500 miles just seems too low for this oil to be this "spent". Going forward, I'm considering different approaches: either 6 month oil changes (even though each oil change will only have ~2600 miles), or a short 3-4 month winter OCI, with the other 8-9 months being a longer OCI.

They mention silicon. No work was done on the car in these 10 months, so no gasket sealers, etc to consider. From the VOA, we know this oil only contributes about 5ppm, so I will take a look at the air filter. I have not checked it probably since last oil change, but it only has 10000 miles / 18 months on it.

Their comment on Magnesium can be explained by carryover of the previous oil which had over 700ppm in its formula.

Oxidation, I guess is normal for this oil. I think virgin values are right around 30?

View attachment 177595

This is a good example of why one may want to step up in viscosity in an engine which is a known fuel diluter. At 4% your oil still remained within grade and being that the engine is spec'd for 20w IMO you're good to go on this interval.

TBN isn't everything btw. ACEA Cx oils have a low starting TBN and you can't compare this TBN figure with the published TBN because they use a different test method.

Back