Rotella T6 2500 miles 1967 VW Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wear metals seem kind of, uh, excessive.
sick.gif
However, the engine has been removed and worked on three times: to modify the intake and exhaust systems (1), to setup proper valvetrain geometry (2), and to repair (3), all without draining or changing the oil. It was repaired due to the engine seizing, which turned out to be because someone
whistle.gif
dropped a washer into the intake and it ended up in #1 cylinder. The repair consisted of removing the head, taking out the remains of the washer, and putting the head back on. So, the engine and oil have had it a lot rougher than normal driving for these 2500 miles.

This was initially one gallon of T6. It was topped off a few times because of a leak (now cured), which added up to about another quart and a half over the OCI.

Filter used was a Napa Platinum 41516, which was not changed.

46334_3332803134659_918187390_n.jpg

P.S. - I'm glad there was no coolant getting into the oil.
grin.gif

Note: This is not a regular aircooled VW engine. It is nearly 100% aftermarket, 2276cc, and fuel injected. Oil temps are about 180-190F usually, highest seen was about 210F.

I'd do a few more short runs on T6 before I send in another sample.
Do to all your recent issues this has a significant number of issues that would give the sample an outlier.

A 67 VW beetle only has a screen and no real filter..that being said..the report is not out of line for wear metals considering the work done.

As a former Beetle owner, I am jealous of your sweet setup!

I would do a short OCI this time and get another UOA. See if the contaminants go down and sleep well knowing you have flushed more out.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
A 67 VW beetle only has a screen and no real filter

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Filter used was a Napa Platinum 41516

Yea, watch out for those coolant leaks in those engines. I hear that if you ever see coolant in the oil with these babies, you might as well hang it up and start over. :)

Was the washer made from Iron, Chromium and Aluminum then?
27.gif

With all that going on this UOA is more of a curiosity. The one after this will have a more realistic indication of wear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
A 67 VW beetle only has a screen and no real filter

Filter used was a Napa Platinum 41516

He must have installed an aftermarket oil filter system. There are generally 3 popular ways of doing this. 1. Tap into the oil pump cover and main oil gallery and install an externally plumbed full flow oil filter. 2. Use an aftermarket oil pump that has an oil filter fitting at its side housing. 3. Modify the base of the oil cooler adapter to accept a standard small oil filter which fits through a cut away part of the engine tin.

Have just sent off for analysis an oil sample from my 1970 1955cc 2013 Peking to Paris Rally Beetle, and will post for compare/contrast purposes. Thanks for posting this as a guideline.

Your zinc count is much higher than T6 usually has. Did you use an additive?

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Have just sent off for analysis an oil sample from my 1970 1955cc 2013 Peking to Paris Rally Beetle, and will post for compare/contrast purposes. Thanks for posting this as a guideline.

Your zinc count is much higher than T6 usually has. Did you use an additive?

No additives. The extra zinc and calcium may be from the lawnmower oil I used previously.

I was a VW tech (dealer and independent) in the '70s and built many, many engines (hundreds at least... they died like flies back then) but I have never seen a UOA from one. Isn't that strange?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I was a VW tech (dealer and independent) in the '70s and built many, many engines (hundreds at least... they died like flies back then) but I have never seen a UOA from one. Isn't that strange?

I have a friend that just did a full rebuild on his 69 for like 200 bucks. Apparently the life span of even the "good" rebuilds is like 70- 100k at the top end these days.

Fun to see a few Bugs here. I grew up with a '70 that my mom bought new in college. That one was driven daily until the late 90s when it met its end in an accident. It had three motors in its long life and I don't think it ever left anyone stranded.

I owned a '67 in high school. It was was ugly but had a fun 1776cc motor in it and was stripped down to the bones, so it was pretty quick!

I have a '66 now has a pretty stout 2110cc motor set up to daily drive. It's in pieces right now, though. I had took it apart and had it blasted down to the metal and painted. I'm excited to finally be getting a garage again soon, hopefully I will get to work on putting it together once that happens.

Robertcope - one step at a time!
Put a plan together!
You wrote 'hopefully".
Remember, hope is not a great strategy!

Good luck, and have fun!

...... which turned out to be because someone
whistle.gif
dropped a washer into the intake and it ended up in #1 cylinder.

Let me guess, that someone was putting on the airhorns on a set of dual carbs! Ask me how I know!!

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
whistle.gif

Let me guess, that someone was putting on the airhorns on a set of dual carbs! Ask me how I know!!

Throttle bodies.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
whistle.gif

Throttle bodies.
smile.gif

Close enough then huh?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back