Rotella T6 10-30

It looks like what they are after is for everyone who is able because of the temperature requirement to run 10-30. There was no stipulation that the 10-30 had to be synthetic or even a blend while a 15-40 was causing deposits in the hydraulic lifters. I guess the thinner 10-30 cleans better than the thicker 15-40. FCA/Stellantis has already done the oil juggling act on the Ecodiesel until they finally did away with it. I guess they (Cummins or Ram) decided they needed hydraulic lifters to help quieten it down some but still have to cut it off in the drive throughs.
Cleaning has nothing to do with the grade. It is a function of base stock composition.

A 15W-40 may have a lesser quality VM and of a higher quantity than a 10W-30. This is their concern. It’s the VM that leaves this type of deposit.

Cleaning has nothing to do with the grade. It is a function of base stock composition.

A 15W-40 may have a lesser quality VM and of a higher quantity than a 10W-30. This is their concern. It’s the VM that leaves this type of deposit.
Thank you. You answered my question about what was published earlier. They can’t market the oil they show the viscosity for as a 10-30 and it have API certification. Numbers too far out of bounds.

I have a 22 Ram 2500 and being that I visit here on BITOG I am continuously looking for a better oil for my truck. I’ve been looking at the R T6 10-30 and the specs that they (Shell) have posted on their website is the same exact specs as R T6 15-40. Does anyone have any insight as to what the real specs are for the 10-30 ? TIA
Mopar recommends it over valvoline and if you go to any Ram dealer service center they will use T-6 10w30 for the Gen 5 6.7

Wow, T6 0w-40. Somewhere on bitog a storm is brewing. Is the new holy grail oil, to dethrone M1 FS 0w-40? Brotella, welcome to the "0w-40 all the things" club.

Wow, T6 0w-40. Somewhere on bitog a storm is brewing. Is the new holy grail oil, to dethrone M1 FS 0w-40? Brotella, welcome to the "0w-40 all the things" club.
It’s kind of silly in this context where the license and specifications dictate a minimum HT/HS. Any difference between a grade is going to be minimal.

And as for the winter rating that’s dictated by your expected starting temperature.

Mopar recommends it over valvoline and if you go to any Ram dealer service center they will use T-6 10w30 for the Gen 5 6.7
They should use it! However, the dealer I bought mine from used regular 15-40, (first "free" oil change) even after me having a discussion with the writer about the specific oils that were used in the 19' plus 6.7's. Luckily, I caught it on the receipt, and had it changed before leaving. It took forever the second time, probably because they had to run out and get it. I've run T6 5-40 ever since. 98k miles now.

They should use it! However, the dealer I bought mine from used regular 15-40, (first "free" oil change) even after me having a discussion with the writer about the specific oils that were used in the 19' plus 6.7's. Luckily, I caught it on the receipt, and had it changed before leaving. It took forever the second time, probably because they had to run out and get it. I've run T6 5-40 ever since. 98k miles now.
The service center should know 19 + it is either Rotella 10W30 or 5W40. 15W40 isn’t specced for the gen five.

Tough crowd on the hdeo side.
It is when you say that a Shell Oil has Dethroned a Mobil Oil that many members think is a great oil. I will put it this way, and this is just me, Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 might be ok in Lawn Equipment. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is what I would put in my Car. The Euro Specs are as good or better than the HDEO Specs, meaning CK-4

It is when you say that a Shell Oil has Dethroned a Mobil Oil that many members think is a great oil. I will put it this way, and this is just me, Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 might be ok in Lawn Equipment. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is what I would put in my Car. The Euro Specs are as good or better than the HDEO Specs, meaning CK-4

Rotella T6 0w40 doesn’t meet SN or SP. Simple

Rotella T6 0w40 doesn’t meet SN or SP. Simple
I didn't think so either, but it does. This is for the CJ-4 not + or the CK-4 datasheet. This is what Shell is linking to on the /en-us/ server.

Now I have to go look to see if the T6 5W40 meets some recent API Spark Ignition service category - again.
Just did. Nope! looking at a CK-4 Datasheet.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 093216.jpg

1709825972557.jpeg

I didn't think so either, but it does. This is for the CJ-4 not + or the CK-4 datasheet. This is what Shell is linking to on the /en-us/ server.

Now I have to go look to see if the T6 5W40 meets some recent API Spark Ignition service category - again.
Just did. Nope! looking at a CK-4 Datasheet.

View attachment 207048
1709825972557.jpeg
How do you know which publications to believe and which ones to dismiss?

How do you know which publications to believe and which ones to dismiss?
Well, the incorrect Typical Characteristics was an obvious cut and paste error.
The T6 0w40 datasheet is old (2017) and also not the current API C-category spec. - So that is also suspect.

Often times there are interns doing this "drudgework". Inexcusable as someone should have signed off.
but, Inside industry, I have seen multi-departmental signoffs pencil whipped way to often.

You have a dog in the fight, why not take the advice printed at the bottom of the Data Sheet and "... contact your local Shell Technical HelpDesk" and report.

Here is a link:

Last edited:
I’ve seen the T6 10w30 at O’reily autoparts for $35 a gallon, $10 more a gallon than 5w40. $30 increase on an oil change for me so I’d pass and keep using 5w40.

Back