General AltiMAX RT43

Posted by: Cooper

General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 09:44 PM

Just got a new set of General AltiMAX RT43 tires put on the Forester. I have only driven in the snow so far. Initial impression is that they are far superior to the Yokohama Geolander G91F tires that came off of it. They were the OEM tires and had only 13k on them. I got a great trade in deal at DT for them. I did not feel safe having the family on those tires and felt that I had to make an upgrade in tires.

The Forester drives as a Subie should in the snow now. I was hesitant to purchase a tire like General, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how nice of a tire it has been so far. Very high quality compared to what I was expecting. It cost HALF of what the Michelin Defenders would have cost! That is the other tire I was leaning toward. In the end, and how well the RT43 has been reviewed, it was a no brainer for me.

I will keep up to date with how they handle in the near future.

Anyone else running these General AltiMAX RT43 tires?
Posted by: The Critic

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 09:50 PM

Not to rain on the parade, but did you investigate the rolling resistance of these tires, compared to the Defender or the OE tire?

Usually there's a 3-5% penalty in fuel economy, which can add up to hundreds of dollars over the life of the tires.
Posted by: dparm

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 09:53 PM

General is owned by Continental. They're a very big tire company and an OEM supplier -- I would not hesitate to use them.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Not to rain on the parade, but did you investigate the rolling resistance of these tires, compared to the Defender or the OE tire?

Usually there's a 3-5% penalty in fuel economy, which can add up to hundreds of dollars over the life of the tires.

It has yet to be determined how they will do in that aspect for me. Fuel mileage is not my number one concern. If I can stay even close to what I was getting, I will be happy. If I am not happy with them for whatever reason, I have 45 days to exchange them with no questions.

Do you know something that I don't about this specific tire?
Posted by: spasm3

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 09:57 PM

I would look for the low rolling resistance tires, and avoid them. The factory continental contipro contact tires are worn evenly across the tread and on each side but are almost shot at 21k miles. She does not drive it hard and they have been maintained ( pressure and rotation). Any fuel savings are negated by buying tires with a short life.
Posted by: GutsyGecko

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 09:59 PM

I have general AltiMax arctics. Even better in the snow! General makes great tires!
Posted by: The Critic

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I would look for the low rolling resistance tires, and avoid them. The factory continental contipro contact tires are worn evenly across the tread and on each side but are almost shot at 21k miles. She does not drive it hard and they have been maintained ( pressure and rotation). Any fuel savings are negated by buying tires with a short life.

That is a gross generalization. Fuel savings technology is becoming integrated into most of the newer tire designs. Some tires are designed to push the envelope in terms of fuel economy, but even those are getting much better.

Anyway, this is way off-topic for the OP (my apologies), but I was just curious if he had considered this aspect…and what his findings were.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 10:04 PM

No problem Critic. I am interested in all thoughts on these tires. That is why I posted.

Honestly, LRR tires are not the first thing I look at. Traction in all weather, handling and long life are my biggest priorities. Cost was a large thing because it cost $350 less to get these than the Defenders I had planned on getting. So, that was my deciding factor.

Tire Rack rated them very high in their tests and I always take into consideration Tire Rack reviews before buying any tire.
Posted by: Astro14

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 10:07 PM

Just put them on the XC. No snow in VB, But the ride and handling are good.
Posted by: daves87rs

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 10:46 PM

Worth it to be safe in bad weather though....
Posted by: SLCraig

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 10:51 PM

General is one of my favorite brands.
No need to pay the premium for other brands when you have tires like General.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/04/14 10:56 PM

Good to see it's getting glowing reviews....short of the "hard as rocks" below freezing, my Altimax RTs have been a pretty good tire. Something for me to consider when looking for tires on my other two...
Posted by: jorton

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 12:54 AM

I have 2 on my Jeep Patriot. When they arrived via Fedex I could not believe how light they were, and how flimsy the sidewalls are. They get good wet traction and they are quiet. Can't really judge handling because 2 original Goodyear's are still on the back. RT43 have 1 ply sidewall and the Goodyears are 2. In my mind 2 sidewall plys is better but I'm not a tire expert so maybe it doesn't matter.
Posted by: Falken

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 08:02 AM

Nice to see that there are options other than just going the Michelin route!

After this Winter I don't think I plan on going anywhere near LRR tires either.

Freak early or late snowfall requires a sound A/S tire, forget about fuel economy in Montreal with our roads and poor weather.

Giving up traction to a likely freak snowfall is not a good way to go.

Last Winter we had a late snowfall, and I was outside with the flakes falling with a jack putting my Winter tires back on after recently taking them off.

I tried to tough it out but with a half inch of snow on the ground my OEM Dunlop A/S tires struggled to go up a small hill into our parking lot, almost didn't make it up.

Heard people love the Altimax Arctics as well, maybe I'll try them out after my IG-20s wear out instead of getting Blizzaks.
Posted by: JHZR2

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: spasm3

User error. We got rid of that model on our car at 55k with still 4/32 of tread. My boss has about the same on her car, and they haven't been used up either.

I wouldn't be avoiding LRR, though there may well be other better options for other reasons. LRR doesn't have to mean poor life at all, unless you drive poorly, in which case no tires will last.

I'm amazed at the swapping of the Subaru tires at 13k. I'm not one for needing awd to get around, but it should maximize traction even on poor tires.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'm amazed at the swapping of the Subaru tires at 13k. I'm not one for needing awd to get around, but it should maximize traction even on poor tires.

Well, considering my wife drives this vehicle about 80% of the time with my 2 young sons, it shouldn't be too surprising. She told me she didn't feel safe even with the all wheel drive. The OEM Geolanders were not at all an all season tire. So, new tires it is....and I will leave snow tires for a different discussion. I have found a good set of all weather tires have worked fine for me with careful driving.

She is happy driving it now. She has driven it in the snow the last couple of days.

I also got a decent trade in deal for the OEM tires......
Posted by: Papa Bear

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 10:04 AM

Sooner or later you'll own Generals.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 10:19 AM

Papa Bear, if you can remember that jingle...you're too...well...you're my age...because the car in the commercial is about a '74 Caprice.

By the way, the Pierce-Arrow in the first shot is awesome!
Posted by: wymi516

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Well, considering my wife drives this vehicle about 80% of the time with my 2 young sons, it shouldn't be too surprising. She told me she didn't feel safe even with the all wheel drive. The OEM Geolanders were not at all an all season tire. So, new tires it is....and I will leave snow tires for a different discussion. I have found a good set of all weather tires have worked fine for me with careful driving.

She is happy driving it now. She has driven it in the snow the last couple of days.

I also got a decent trade in deal for the OEM tires......

What did DT give you for the 13k mile tires in trade?

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 12:24 PM

$100 trade value for the Geolanders.
$375 for the 4 new tires on price match.
$16 each for installation.
tax....
$405 total out the door.
Posted by: yonyon

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

And if your luck is like mine, every [censored] set of Generals you buy will make you wish you spent the same money on a decent set of mismatched used random Chinese brand tires with holes in them instead.

Give me one of the Kenya Kinetica, two Spartan Dark Whores, and one Maybe-Mile in a completely different size, thanks.
Posted by: fdcg27

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 04:41 PM

Good to know that the RT43 is a good all season tire.
They are pretty inexpensive so they represent a useful alternative to other more costly brands.
Sorry that Subaru put such unsuitable tires on a car intended as a bad weather daily driver.
The OEM Geolanders on our '09 Forester were very good in the snow.
They were, of course, a different model of Geolander.
Posted by: RF Overlord

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/05/14 04:50 PM

My ex needed new winter tires for her car. She now has Altimax Arctics on the rear and RT43s on the front. We just had our first real snow of the season a few days ago, so I haven't yet heard how well they are performing. I be seeing her on Tuesday and give a report.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/06/14 11:36 AM

Update on cold weather performance.....

The General AltiMAX RT43 handles cold weather flat spotting better than the Yoko's did. The Geolanders felt as if they were out of round in cold weather until they warmed up. The General AltiMAX RT43's do not feel out of round when they are cold like the Yoko's did. They feel as if they should, they are not as effected by the cold in this aspect. It is NEGATIVE 5 degrees F here today.
Posted by: supton

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/06/14 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Falken
Nice to see that there are options other than just going the Michelin route!

After this Winter I don't think I plan on going anywhere near LRR tires either.

Freak early or late snowfall requires a sound A/S tire, forget about fuel economy in Montreal with our roads and poor weather.

Giving up traction to a likely freak snowfall is not a good way to go.

Last Winter we had a late snowfall, and I was outside with the flakes falling with a jack putting my Winter tires back on after recently taking them off.

I tried to tough it out but with a half inch of snow on the ground my OEM Dunlop A/S tires struggled to go up a small hill into our parking lot, almost didn't make it up.

Heard people love the Altimax Arctics as well, maybe I'll try them out after my IG-20s wear out instead of getting Blizzaks.

I hear you there. I'm in a rush to put the snows on around Thanksgiving (or whenever the first storm is predicted) and then reluctant to take off until sometime in April (last time I slid off the road was a freak April storm that dumped 6" of slush). That's a long time to run snows, especially when most of the time it's bare pavement. This is the first winter in a long time I've tried running A/S, and while it's no picnic I haven't died yet--just adjusted my driving, and it's been kinda bad lately.

I might give thought next time to "aggressive" A/S or at least try to get anything with decent winter ratings, and cheapo winters for say just the three worst months.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/06/14 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: yonyon

And if your luck is like mine, every [censored] set of Generals you buy will make you wish you spent the same money on a decent set of mismatched used random Chinese brand tires with holes in them instead.

Give me one of the Kenya Kinetica, two Spartan Dark Whores, and one Maybe-Mile in a completely different size, thanks.

Just curious, what was your last set of General tires?
Posted by: yonyon

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/06/14 06:12 PM

My last set of Generals were Altimax HPs.
Posted by: leeharvey418

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/07/14 07:35 AM

I put Altimax RT 43s on the RAV4 back in November. They replaced Nokian WR G2 SUVs, and they're head and shoulders above the Nokians in dry and wet pavement performance. They may not be quite as good in snow, but they still do an adequate job (especially when you consider that I've gotten over two feet of snow at my house in the last week and a half).

So, yeah. I'm a fan of the RT 43.
Posted by: Drew99GT

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/09/14 09:37 AM

I wanted to get RT43s for my Corolla but I got a set of Michelin X-Radials for super cheap that I couldn't pass up.

The RT-43 is designed with snow traction in mind. They also tested as the best all season toruing tire on Tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=178

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/09/14 05:01 PM

Yeah, good test review. I gotta say, I am loving these tires! They have been a great tire all around so far. Much better than any other tire I have purchased. I have had Yokohama, Michelin Primacy MXM4 and Primacy MXV4.
Posted by: GMFan

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/09/14 08:54 PM

I have the previous generation General Altimax RT on my Mazda. I haven't had any trouble with them to speak of and they are better in the snow than I expected given the reviews I read about them. To me they are a quality "budget" Continental tire just like Kelly tires from Goodyear.

I personally like the aggressive tread patterns the General tires have and the new RT43 seems to follow suit.

For what it's worth I did not notice any MPG drop between these Generals and the LRR Michelin "Energy" tires I had on prior.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/14/14 07:18 AM

After a couple of weeks of driving on the General AltiMAX RT43 I am still impressed. They ride very comfortably in all conditions so far. Just haven't driven them in warm weather yet. We have had clear dry weather in the 50's though and they were great in normal dry conditions. We have had hard rain and they resist hydroplaning without any noticeable traction loss. They are nice and quiet, responsive and comfortable. So far, ice, deep snow, wet snow, rain, and dry have all been very easy to manage with these tires.

I am a Michelin to General Tire convert! I would highly recommend these General AltiMAX RT43 tires! I don't recommend very many products either.

I have the 225/60/17 H rated General AltiMAX RT43. I know that the T rated tires have a cap ply as well. That is very important in a T rated tire IMHO. The difference between the H and T is the sidewall strength. The H rated has a stronger sidewall, so, I would imagine the T rated is a little more comfortable and a little less responsive. The H rated is comfortable and responsive though for me. Much more comfortable over rough roads than the Yoko's I had. Since I live in Ohio, rough roads are a part of life, I have to have a comfortable tire to manage these horrible roads we have.
Posted by: Miller88

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/14/14 08:51 AM

I need to buy tires for the Focus soon. I was looking at these. I'm stuck between

AltiMax RT43, CS4 and Kumho KH20.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

Those names are awesome!

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/14/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I need to buy tires for the Focus soon. I was looking at these. I'm stuck between

AltiMax RT43, CS4 and Kumho KH20.

I really like the General AltiMAX RT43. I have heard really good things about the Cooper CS4 from others. I would stay away from Kumho IMHO.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/17/14 10:46 AM

Apparently the snow that fell in southeast Michigan this morning is of the type for which the RT 43 is ideally suited. People were sliding all over the place, unable to make it up 5% grades, and generally suffering through our latest snow event. Not me... I barely noticed a loss of traction, and never felt like the snow was pulling me off course.

My admiration for the RT 43 continues to grow.
Posted by: sparky123

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/17/14 04:23 PM

Miller88. I'm familiar w/the Cooper CS4's T-rated tires. Very good winter traction, which it seems the RT 43 has as well. CS4's ride alittle stiff on the 05' Focus. I'm assuming it has something to do w/the 2 sidewall plies. If I had to do it over again, I probably would not pick this T-rated tire for the Focus. If weather wasn't so much of a concern, the Kumho KH-20's are a very good tire. Ride smooth/handle well and seem to have very little rolling resistance. When I had my 10' Focus, I put on Bridgestone RE-960's. Oh my what a great tire. Completely transformed the car. Probably not your best choice if you're planning on running them year-round in NY.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/17/14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Apparently the snow that fell in southeast Michigan this morning is of the type for which the RT 43 is ideally suited. People were sliding all over the place, unable to make it up 5% grades, and generally suffering through our latest snow event. Not me... I barely noticed a loss of traction, and never felt like the snow was pulling me off course.

We got the same snow here today. Amazing tires in the snow. I just talked a friend into getting them installed. He loves them too. What a great tire the AltiMAX RT43 is!

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/18/14 08:48 PM

Now that is good to know....

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/22/14 09:19 PM

I have driven in all kinds of snow now. Considering the weather we have been getting, these tires are getting a workout in winter weather as of late. I have not had an all season tire ever that has been this good in the snow. All kinds, fresh, slush, ice.....I feel as if I have snow tires. I have to tell myself to not get too confident with them, but, they feel very confident in this weather.

My admiration for the AltiMAX RT43 also continues to grow. Great tire! Last winter I was driving on new Michelin Latitude Tours and these blow those out of the water in all aspects! I have been a Michelin fanboy for years and it is hard to say it, but, I would buy these any day over those. I know, different tire.....but similar use for me. I had those on a 2012 AWD Honda CRV, now, I have the Generals on a 2014 Subaru Forester. Somewhat similar. I love the Subaru. The CRV was fine, but I got ran over by a semi truck on the freeway, so, RIP CRV.
Posted by: rob6773

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/24/14 08:38 PM

After reading this I am considering these for my Honda Ody. I was considering the Hankook 727s but these have better reviews on tirerack.
Posted by: Rand

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/24/14 10:42 PM

well the h727 is a few years old now.. the rt43 is brand new and showing it .

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/25/14 07:07 AM

Also the 727 can be from either Korea or China, not a fan of Chinese tires. The rt43 is from Brazil, so are the DWS Continentals I put on my Subaru. I am happy with those tires.
Posted by: stephen9666

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/25/14 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: rob6773
Also the 727 can be from either Korea or China, not a fan of Chinese tires. The rt43 is from Brazil, so are the DWS Continentals I put on my Subaru. I am happy with those tires.

I'm assuming you're taking this info from Tire Rack's website. Tire Rack was incorrect when they said mine could come from China or Korea. At least, they were incorrect when I bought mine.

I emailed Hankook and asked about it before buying mine, because I won't buy Chinese tires, and they said at that time the H727 for the US market was only made in Korea, not China. I specifically pointed out that Tire Rack said they could come from China, too, and the rep from Hankook said that wasn't correct.

So, if you're considering buying the H727, email them and ask.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/25/14 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: rob6773

My General AltiMAX RT43 tires are made in the USA!
Posted by: sayjac

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/25/14 11:35 AM

First I've read of this tire. Also being T rated, looks to be a new competitor to my favorite tire in this class, the Yoko Avid Touring S, all sizes made in US. Acording to TR, looks like the RT43 is divided up between Brazil, US and Mexico.

Had good success with the set of Altimax HP's I had, and at TR the RT43 are currently less expensive than Touring S. Have to see how they do in TR's survey after more miles have been accumulated. Looks good early though.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/25/14 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: sayjac
First I've read of this tire. Also being T rated, looks to be a new competitor to my favorite tire in this class, the Yoko Avid Touring S, all sizes made in US. Acording to TR, looks like the RT43 is divided up between Brazil, US and Mexico.

Had good success with the set of Altimax HP's I had, and at TR the RT43 are currently less expensive than Touring S. Have to see how they do in TR's survey after more miles have been accumulated. Looks good early though.

The AltiMAX RT43 comes in T and H speed ratings in some sizes. I purchased the H speed rating because I had the option of both in 225/60/17 and that is what came on my Subaru when new. I do see tire rack has very high ratings on the surveys for them now.
Posted by: sayjac

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/26/14 07:48 AM

I see that 5 out 44 available tires of the RT43 come as H rated including your size. So it's a majority T rated tire. As said, early TR survey results look good, but owing to it's new status that's based on relatively low miles accumulated as compared to other tires in it's class.
Posted by: Hollow

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/26/14 09:26 AM

These looks quite nice.

I'll be needing to replace my Primacy MXV4 next year due to age rather than wear (they just keep going...) and these look much more bank friendly and easily available than the Nokian's I was looking at.

Now the only decision would be to get the T rated stock size of 225/60/16 or step up to a 235/60/16 and keep the H (OEM) rating.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/26/14 01:54 PM

Honestly, I would be fine with the T rated if I wasn't able to get the H rated. The T rated will get you a little longer tread life and a little more of a comfortable ride. The H will handle a little better and have a stiffer ride. I would be fine with the T in the OEM size if that was all that was available in this tire. It is that good.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/27/14 09:48 AM

My General AltiMAX RT43 tires are made in the USA!

Likewise, but only because I stepped up to the H-rated version. Had I gone with the 225/65R17 102T, they would have been made in Romania.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/28/14 12:08 PM

Both the T and the H rated tires in my size are made in the USA. I don't see a list of country of origin on their website. Any ideas on how to find out which sizes are made in what country?

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/28/14 12:30 PM

On the Specs tab, the column all the way on the right list country of origin.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/28/14 12:45 PM

This tire is made in a lot of places.
Posted by: Hollow

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/28/14 02:45 PM

Honestly, I would be fine with the T rated if I wasn't able to get the H rated. The T rated will get you a little longer tread life and a little more of a comfortable ride. The H will handle a little better and have a stiffer ride. I would be fine with the T in the OEM size if that was all that was available in this tire. It is that good.

Thanks for the comments. I looks like they are
225/60/16T 700 AB 75,000 rating made in USA
235/60/16H 700 AA 65,000 rating made in Brazil

About $8/tire difference. I'll likely get whichever one Discount Tire has in stock when I need new rubber. I was planning on trying the Nokian eNTYRE, but cost and lack of availability make me hesitant.

FWIW, my Primacy MXV4 have 47,000 miles on them and 7/32 tread left. I have noticed that they are loosing winter performance as the rubber ages, even though they look minimally worn. I'll probably replace them at around 6 years old next year.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/28/14 05:14 PM

So, far, with snow, my wife is very happy with these tires. Not a ton of snow travel, but some really icy roads last week (black ice) and heavy snow tonight have put them to the test. By the way, they're the H rated, in size 215/65r16.

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 01/28/14 05:54 PM

On the Specs tab, the column all the way on the right list country of origin.

Thanks! There are a ton of different locations this tire is made!
Posted by: TrevorS

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 02/04/14 10:41 PM

Just saw the good reviews on tirerack.

I was considering Pirelli P7 or Continental ProContact but these are cheaper and have higher test scores by TireRack.

Do you think these Standard Touring are comparable to Grand Touring tires?

Re: General AltiMAX RT43 - 02/05/14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Just saw the good reviews on tirerack.

I was considering Pirelli P7 or Continental ProContact but these are cheaper and have higher test scores by TireRack.

Do you think these Standard Touring are comparable to Grand Touring tires?

I believe a tire manufacturer can put their tires in whatever class they want to put them in. These AltiMAX RT43 handle similar to all of the "grand touring" tires that I have owned. I believe, as Tire Rack has stated, that these tires are the best handling standard touring tire that there is. I believe Tire Rack even states that they handle like a grand touring tire in the video review if I am not mistaken. Either way, they are excellent tires, especially for the price paid for them.