Which 5w20 is best for mixing with GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuk

I just bought a Mazda 6 Sport and must use 5w20 to maintain the warranty, but I also have a stash of GC I want to use up. I'm thinking I can use 1L of GC at every OCI and no one at Mazda will be the wiser. The obvious choice for the 5w20 would be Syntec, but is there a better choice for mixing?

Don't they just "recommend" 5W-20 -- not require it?

Also, you really should have no problem using xW-30's. I have a stash of 5W-30's, if I bought a new car and it said 5W-20 on the oil cap -- I would still be using 5W-30.
smile.gif

This is what my manual says on page 8-18:

Quote:

Engine Oil

NOTE

Changing the engine oil should be done
by an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

Recommended Oil
Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.
Oil container labels provide important
information.
A chief contribution this type of oil makes
to fuel economy is reducing the amount of
fuel necessary to overcome engine
friction.

U.S.A. and CANADA

Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline
Engines” by the American Petroleum
Institute (API). An oil with this trademark
symbol conforms to the current engine
and emission system protection standards
and fuel economy requirements of the
International Lubricant Standardization
and Approval Committee (ILSAC),
comprised of U.S. and Japanese
automobile manufacturers.

Except U.S.A. and CANADA

Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil. If SAE 5W-20
engine oil is not available in your market. Use
SAE 5W-30 engine oil.

Interesting.... It does only say recommended oil. Does this mean I really can use GC without voiding my warranty?

I literally just got off the phone with Al Harvey, the Mazda Canada Inc., Western Canadian Parts and Service Manager. He says Mazda has no restriction on what grade or type of oil the owner chooses to use. They only require that the owner keep complete receipts and records proving that all the proper maintenance was performed at the proper interval. He did not offer this response in writing, but he did sound convincing. I hope my Mazda ownership experience continues to be as relaxed and reassuring as the call I had with Al was.
smile.gif

lol u can even use 15W-50 in ur mazda and will not void ur warrenty, it's just the recommendation by the factory for optical performance/fuel economy

they use 5W-20 just because for fuel economy purposes, they were supposed designed for 5W-30 oil and that's a better for all year round performance, my gf's mazda 6 i put 5W-30 synthetic for her as well, no harm done

winter u can switch back to 20 weight for better cold start up, but doesn't make a difference anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back