Torco SR-1 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would put a centrifugel blower on that Stang .

HP is kinda .... lame
grin.gif

I think the Torco is probably good oil . A couple of members here uses it and reported they like it so I cannot allow myself to knock an oil I don't have any experience with other than one short run during winter and I had a little problem with it in a Miata . Does not mean the next guy will though . I do know I can buy a superior oil for 4.70 a quart that will run circles around the Torco for my uses IMO . Still does not mean the Torco is bad oil . Just built from a different approach .

Of note , the TBN will not allow for drains anylonger than a low cost dino IMO and analysis shows kinda why those oils have low TBN . It looks like they use little metallic additives to reduce friction yet still keep the oil streetable . Maybe it an ashless D/D pack ? They are using newer performance additives beyond what we normally see but thats quite likely to become a trend with more companies as time goes by . Also they use limited amounts of zinc and are not an API oil . Dunno about why they do that .

My guess is that oil is group III for the most part. Just a guess based on pricing and the MSDS
wink.gif

The various weights they offer are not clones . The 5w-20 is built different than the 5w-30 for example and uses way more moly as if 500 or so PPM is not enough
smile.gif
The data sheet for the 10w-30 looks much like a straight 30wt dino does and they note only for occasional cold weather use for that one .

I wonder who they purchase their additives and base oils from ?

Here is a VOA I had ran on the 5w-20

Iron 2
Copper 1
Tin 25
Moly 1372
Boron 1
Magnesium 20
Calcium 1712
Barium 4
Phos 970
Zinc 1057
Silicone 7
VI 100c 7.46

TBN is 5 something

My guess is that oil is group III for the most part

According to Torco, they DO NOT consider group III to be synthetic. SR-1 is Group IV and V...per Torco.

I do know I can buy a superior oil for 4.70 a quart that will run circles around the Torco for my uses IMO

And that oil would be??? BTW that is only about one dollar less than Torco factory direct(they only charege $3.00 shipping no matter size of order). Torco is a quality oil that they claim can run 7500 miles no sweat..
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:

According to Torco, they DO NOT consider group III to be synthetic. SR-1 is Group IV and V...per Torco.

Torco is a quality oil that they claim can run 7500 miles no sweat..
smile.gif
[/B]

Is that about the group III on their website ? If so , I must go back because I missed it .

They think like Mobil does then so I agree it must be good stuff since it's made of those group base oils and no doubt a much better oil than I use even though the shipping is actually free so I retract my comment

I am looking forward to seeing some analysis's of the SR-1 in the appropriate VI @ for the various makes at 7500 miles . Especially the RX-8 and Mitsubishi Evolution along with the odd 4.3 Chevy for good measure .

The more competition for the oil companies , the merrier
cheers.gif

[ August 17, 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back