Amsoil PI has been reformulated and improved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only asked because an autoparts outlet I used to buy from was big on RL SL-1, the only RL product they stocked. They always advised buying a new filter with it for the reasons cited, maybe just to sell filters, LOL

I used the new PI it in my 2004 GMC and am on the 1st tank of fuel since.

On Thursday, I had my truck in to check the spark plugs. I wanted to install Iridiums as GM came out with the new plugs for 2004 and prior engines to replace the platinums which are not holding up. They took one of the plugs and found out my truck came with the Iridiums plugs. 31,500 miles on the plugs since new and they were almost as clean as the new plugs. The tech had to look real close at the plugs to see any sign they were in there for 31,000 miles. There was some discussion in the shop about how good the plugs looked after that many miles. I never gave it a 2nd though about the PI till I read this post.

Quite possible it was the new PI that cleaned them like that. Left the oem plugs in.

btw - The plugs have a Fine Iridium tip

Lots of the engine gunk comes from the heat of the engine and the combustion of the fuel.

Many of the newer vehicles have lifetime fuel filters in the tank. My 2004 GMC and my 2005 Cadillac do. So you cannot change it if you wanted to, it part of the fuel pump.

They call them "lifetime" fuel filters because it isn't really good marketing to call them "will cost you at least 500.00 to change the fuel filter" filters. I still dislike these fuel tank filters and really wish they could just improve the inline filter.

Quote:

They call them "lifetime" fuel filters because it isn't really good marketing to call them "will cost you at least 500.00 to change the fuel filter" filters.

crackmeup.gif
cheers2.gif

Fuel pump was noisey on my ford truck, could always hear it as I turned th key on or walked around the back of the truck. Changed the fuel filter and guess what? quieted it right up. Tore open the old one and couldn't believe anything was passing through it, looked like pink wax. So did I extend the life of my pump? I like to think so.

Talked to my car dealership about changing the filter after conoco phillips bought everyone in the area a fuel injection clean (another story). Them turkeys at the dealer said they NEVER change a fuel filter until something goes wrong. Yea right, they probably charge a poor guy for all kinds of stuff and really just fix it with a filter. Another one, Had to buy a new Bosch pump and change it on the side of the road after hitching to the nearest town. Don't know what was worse, the price of the thing or the changing it out. Anyway, right or wrong if a clean filter prolongs the pump life I'll be changing em. Luckily none of my cars are in tank.

I'm on my second bottle of the new PI. I do about 3,000 miles a month in the truck. Gas milage is about 22.5-24 average most tanks. I can't really say I have personally seen a big difference, but I was a faithful old PI user.

I have a few friends that are using it, that never use additives. One has a GMC 1500 and he pulls a 6,000 lb trailer. He said his fuel economy went up significantly (no exact figures) but he said he had the same mileage on the tank pulling the trailer than he did running empty. I wish he would have given me the exact numbers.

I really think it doesn't matter what type of fuel you use, there are not enough additives in the fuel to do a good "cleaning" and a period maintence like PI or Techron is a great idea, especially with the price of fuel now a days.

I did notice in the auto parts store that Techron is about $10 something a bottle for the 20 gal treat. The retail on the amsoil is less than that, which is a good thing.

My son always got 24 mpg in his 12,000 mile 2006 Honda Civic Si like clockwork. He put in the API and got 25 on his next tank and 26 on this last one. I got a big "Thanks Dad" for the increase. This is the 3rd vehicle we've seen noticeable increases on. Well worth the $7 every 4,000 miles. I put some in my K1200LT and need to check the mileage in that.

I wonder how this stuff compares to the RL SI-1 fuel system cleaner?

Quote:

Hi gary,

While I've been a so so believer in fuel additives as a maintenance issue only, Chevron Techron has shown me excellent results. However, with this new formulation I'll probably give Amsoil's PI a try the next time I order filters.

Thanks for your seemingly ubiased opinions here and with many subjects.

I try and share my candid opinions on stuff that I've experienced. I am an Amsoil dealer and have found every product that I've ever used to be top notch ..but I haven't personally experienced them all (I don't think any dealer has). Hence I may promote the product, but qualify it with my lack of personal experience. I'll also share my history with other products. Above all else, I'm not going to withold merit where it is due. I will eventually manage to convert my entire extended fleet to Amsoil products where practical ..and I'll still only scratch the surface of what they have to offer.

I just got two bottles of PI in for personal evaluation. I'll post any butt dyno impressions. I'm on a UOA guided fuel clean up on two jeeps. I've just used up my supply of RL cleaner and will be pulling a sample for Terry to dig into. If it still shows fuel ..I'll dose it with PI and see what happens
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back