FOUND : metal shavings in my first oil change !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
myth busted, at least on my car. i just changed it out today at the 800 mile mark and just for the heck of it i put a big magnet under the flow of the oil coming out the drain hole. i took a look at it after i was done and cleaning up to find at least a dozen little shavings/splinters of about 1/4" long. i know alot of you bitogers feel that the shavings thing is just heresay but i saw them with my very own eyes. well im glad i did the quick initial change now and with this data im gonna have to do another at 1500 or so. also observed were no shavings in the filter media as it is a cartridge style filter with no can so im led to believe the shavings were on the bottom of the pan due to the weight difference. you may be able to call this one plausable due to: yes - there are shavings but no - they probabably arn't harmfull and circulating the system.

1/4" LONG! HOLY BANANA WHACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd get a new car under warranty. I guess they were too big to pass the sump intake.

Note to self: Find out what kind of car turbomazda bought and not buy one.
smile.gif

its in a gallon milk jug, i can re-magnet it tomorrow to see if the initial pass missed any.

Quote:

1/4" LONG! HOLY BANANA WHACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd get a new car under warranty. I guess they were too big to pass the sump intake.

Note to self: Find out what kind of car turbomazda bought and not buy one.

popcorn.gif
laugh.gif

I have seen sparkly particles in the oil before when placed in a glass and held up to the light. I have never seen shaveings though. It is normaly to have small particles in oil kind of like what you would find on a rear end or manual transmissions magnetic drain plug. IF their are shaveing in the oil it must of been left from the machineing and lack of proper cleaning or debrigh from dirty assembly area.

Motorcycle engine with shared transmission sumps are the only oils I have seen with pieces as big as 1/4 inch. They were semicircle-like, something you might see in the shavings at the feet of a whittler. And, only on the first change. Never had any problems with those bikes, though.

On cars, I get metal-flake-like sparkles...many I can feel between my fingers...but, not 1/4 inch pieces.

Oh, I always use a magnet on the drain plugs!

That sounds to me like it might be left over metal from places where threads were tapped or possibly bits of flashing from cast or forged parts. My first guess would be from the tapping of the drain plug hole itself.

With small engines I see sparkling metal shavings all the time on the first few oil changes. It always makes me wonder why the small-engine makers don't recommend an oil change immediately after the first hour of operation to get that initial junk out of there, especially with no oil filtration.

With automobiles I like to do the first change no more than 1,000 miles into use. Sure the filter catches most of the big stuff, but why use an oil-metal slurry as lubrication? With all the great deals you can find out about on the sales and promotions part of BITOG an oil change shouldn't cost you any more than $10!

I have bought 10 new cars(note to self "STOP Buying new cars and trucks and keep the ones I have!$$$$")

Never have I seen the metal flake phenomena, this is in Several makes including A '92 GM 3.1 v6 in a sun-chicken, a Dodge Dakota, a Mitsubishi montero and an outlander, 3 Tacomas, a BMW z4(which got 15k on factory fill), a 4 runner and a 99 Nissan frontier.

With all these variations I never ever had an issue with seeing metal flakes in the motor oil on the first or subsequent changes.
If a piece of debris is large enough to be seen it is not circulating. It is either captured by the pick up screen or the oil filter. By stating that the filter media had no evidence of metal yet the drain oil did one can deduct that the pieces would not even get through the pick up strainer.

The original posters dedection that the metallics never circulated is most likely correct.

Bryan, who runs his factory fills the factory recommended oil change intervals and has saved 60+ qts of oil from being prematurely wasted by doing so along with countless other car owners who just simply thing some cases of OCD are incurable.

In order to see the spearkly particles you need to change the oil while it is still preety clear around 500 mileson a new vechile. You need to catch the fluid warm into a glass. If you hold it up to the sunlight you can see what appears to be metalic flakes shinning back at you. If you take it away from bright but not direct sunlight you can no longer see the particles with the naked eye. You can often feel them between your fingers though even if you can not see them.

If manufacturers don't dyno-test engines and then change oil, then we need to change the oil after the first full tank or two of gas.

Quote:

I found what looked like tapping debris in used oil from a new Mazda 626, V6.

well this vehicle is a mazda as well and it does look like tapping debris. its curled and looks like a piece of brillo pad. im not sure if shavings coming off the engine components would be curled up like this.

The chances that it was circulating with the oil are slim or else the filter would have trapped it. Most likely was just lying in oil pan or was part of the rough casting that fell off and flow back to the pan and lay there till you changed oil. There is a screen in the oil pump to stop big particles like this from being sucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back