Metal in Engine Oil Break-in

What would you consider normal for break-in oil? Owner of a new '23 Lexus GX in which the oil was changed at 860 mi, 1,861 and 3,813mi. The 860 mi oil change was done at the dealer and the 2nd and most recent oil change was done by myself.

I am still seeing very tiny metal particles (glitter) within the oil filter and oil. Would you consider that normal and within spec of an engine break-in after 2 oil changes? Dealer indicates that the metal shavings is normal for the first oil change at the 10K mi OCI and told me to bring it in for service. I've sent a sample of the oil to Blackstone and I am awaiting their analysis.

Including a picture for reference below:

IMG_3574-3.jpg

you wont know anything till about 20k miles. if its still doing that at 20k miles its a problem. odds are it wont be.

What’s the photo of, metal in the filter or metal in the drained oil. If it’s in the drained oil, it must have settled in the sump. No way can that metal travel through the filter and go into circulation.

Metal parts in the oil of your new vehicle is nothing new. If you watch enough you tube video's, you'll usually see a builder carefully wipe down and clean the block, or even wash it with soap and water to their satisfaction. But at a company that needs to build mass quantities of engines in a hurry, you know they won't do that. They probably just blow them out quickly with compressed air, and assemble them as fast as possible. At this point in time they know whatever is left in the engine will get caught in the filter, or drained at change time and not be an issue. That's why sending the first drain sample is a waste of money.,,

my `18 1GR-FE in my 4Runner had more metal in the bottom of the filter housing then I would have liked to have seen at 1500 mile 1st oil change. I guess normal, was just hoping for less!

Yours probably is normal for the 2nd change.

What’s the photo of, metal in the filter or metal in the drained oil. If it’s in the drained oil, it must have settled in the sump. No way can that metal travel through the filter and go into circulation.
Hello, this oil partially from the filter housing, however, the oil drained from the drain plug also contained very fine/glitter in the pan

my `18 1GR-FE in my 4Runner had more metal in the bottom of the filter housing then I would have liked to have seen at 1500 mile 1st oil change. I guess normal, was just hoping for less!

Yours probably is normal for the 2nd change.
thanks for the insight. I figured I wouldn't see any more metal particles after the first change

My first and second oil change in my Harley looked like that. I nearly crapped my pants when I saw it, thinking of all the parts melting down. By the third change it had all but disappeared and the bike runs very well, with no consumption issues. I’m guessing they don’t worry about it, as 98% of buyers never change it themselves and see it for themselves the first time, even if they take it in early.

My first and second oil change in my Harley looked like that. I nearly crapped my pants when I saw it, thinking of all the parts melting down. By the third change it had all but disappeared and the bike runs very well, with no consumption issues. I’m guessing they don’t worry about it, as 98% of buyers never change it themselves and see it for themselves the first time, even if they take it in early.
the dealership was surprised that I changed the oil as the service manager said hardly anyone works on their car. I've never seen any metal in the engine oil in the cars that we have and they are all high mileage cars. It seems that the consensus is this is normal even though the last 3 oil changes have had metal in the oil. Just shocking to me that there would still continue to have metal in all of these subsequent oil changes. This is the last of the V8 engine so I am hoping to drive this car for a long time

the dealership was surprised that I changed the oil as the service manager said hardly anyone works on their car. I've never seen any metal in the engine oil in the cars that we have and they are all high mileage cars. It seems that the consensus is this is normal even though the last 3 oil changes have had metal in the oil. Just shocking to me that there would still continue to have metal in all of these subsequent oil changes. This is the last of the V8 engine so I am hoping to drive this car for a long time
Well, make darn sure you got it down on record of your oil changes. This way if it craps out on you, you've got proof maintenance was performed. As I stated earlier, it took a couple of changes for the glitter to go away. You've only got, what, 4K on this engine? I'd give it at least 6-8K before it settles down.

This is why I subscribe to the early 1st oil change!

just think that almost all owners run that for 10,000 miles.
And this is my 3rd oil change on the motor, I can't imagine what the oil would like with 10K mi on it without changing it for that duration. Lexus manual states 10K OCI

Well, make darn sure you got it down on record of your oil changes. This way if it craps out on you, you've got proof maintenance was performed. As I stated earlier, it took a couple of changes for the glitter to go away. You've only got, what, 4K on this engine? I'd give it at least 6-8K before it settles down.
Okay, thanks. I wanted to make sure the dealership was giving me honest information. I'm having the dealer change it next month for my second complimentary service

Normal whether it's at 435.678 miles (repeating) or 7500 etc. Filter removes larger bits.

What would you consider normal for break-in oil? Owner of a new '23 Lexus GX in which the oil was changed at 860 mi, 1,861 and 3,813mi. The 860 mi oil change was done at the dealer and the 2nd and most recent oil change was done by myself.

I am still seeing very tiny metal particles (glitter) within the oil filter and oil. Would you consider that normal and within spec of an engine break-in after 2 oil changes? Dealer indicates that the metal shavings is normal for the first oil change at the 10K mi OCI and told me to bring it in for service. I've sent a sample of the oil to Blackstone and I am awaiting their analysis.

Including a picture for reference below:

View attachment 198030
That's why I also change out the factory oil very early multiple times.
And they want you to leave this **** in for 10k!
Gee I wonder why?
Keep an eye on it.

That's why I also change out the factory oil very early multiple times.
And they want you to leave this **** in for 10k!
Gee I wonder why?
Keep an eye on it.
It's shocking I know but you actually have an oil filter on a modern car.....the bits everyone is so concerned about are held in it and the elemental concentrations in a UOA aren't "scoring the cylinder walls". It's amazing any vehicle on the American roadways has lasted more than a few years.

And this is my 3rd oil change on the motor, I can't imagine what the oil would like with 10K mi on it without changing it for that duration. Lexus manual states 10K OCI
I wouldn't want to see that, but I would have performed oci#1 at approx. 1500-1700 miles and OCI #2 at approx. 5000 miles.

I don't recall seeing that much metal in a pressure lubricated and filtered automotve engine, only in ODPE splash lube machines. Are you changing the oil somewhat hot to allow a good washdown of the pan bottom?

I feel you are overchanging your oil. Maybe after the upcoming you might extend the OCI a bit.
Enjoy! - Ken

autocompanion is that you?

Side note. Its fine, and you are doing great with the schedule. Heck id switch to a 0w30 or 0w40 and do an annual oil one this 8qt monster

Back