Metal piece found in oil pan. Can anyone identify

So dealer just called and they found this piece of metal and shavings in the oil pan, magnetic dip tube and oil valve screen. Can you identify the big piece. Gonna have them tear down engine look for culprit. Engine is under warranty do you think this needs to be replaced. 2015 jeep wrangler jku Thanks

Attachments

• METAL IN PAN SALEMI 3.jpg
    METAL IN PAN SALEMI 3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 540
  • METAL IN PAN SALEMI 4.jpg
    METAL IN PAN SALEMI 4.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 519
  • OIL FILTER SALEMI.jpg
    OIL FILTER SALEMI.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 600
  • METAL IN PAN SALEMI 2.jpg
    METAL IN PAN SALEMI 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 604
  • METAL IN PAN SALEMI.jpg
    METAL IN PAN SALEMI.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 605
  • SALEMI PICK UP TUBE.jpg
    SALEMI PICK UP TUBE.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 533
  • Screenshot_20231106_110211_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106_110211_Photos.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Not sure. I'm wondering if its something foreign that fell into the block on the assembly line, just before the oil pan went on.

Looks too thin to be a piston skirt, its not a piece of bearing. Maybe its not a piece of the engine , but a piece of assembly equipment ?

Thanks guys appreciate any replys

Last edited:
Why was your Jeep in the dealer shop in the first place?
It was ticking, they replaced all cams, rocker arms, lifters. Cams were worn and replaced. They didnt check oil pan so took it straight to a different dealership and they found those pictures. They said the engine needs to be replaced. I'm just not a mechanic and that chunk isn't from the cams. Everything I've read says it's bad news to have the chunk and bigger pieces running thru engine.

It kind of looks like a keeper that holds a valve spring. All that metal isn't doing the inside of the engine any good. It would be tough to clean out. They should replace the engine and return yours to the factory.
Looks really similar to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231107_191325_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231107_191325_Google.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 200
  • METAL IN PAN SALEMI 2.jpg
    METAL IN PAN SALEMI 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 197
It was ticking, they replaced all cams, rocker arms, lifters. Cams were worn and replaced. They didnt check oil pan so took it straight to a different dealership and they found those pictures. They said the engine needs to be replaced. I'm just not a mechanic and that chunk isn't from the cams. Everything I've read says it's bad news to have the chunk and bigger pieces running thru engine.

Well in theory wouldnt it be better to stay in the pan than be circulating in the engine? It could clog the filter up a bit

If work was done, and debris was found, it sure sounds like the two are related. Possibly somebody will have seen a similar situation and know what the large part is from.

However in general, you are correct, if there is circulating debris, that's quite bad. Although we expect the oil pump's pickup screen to stop the big chunks, the chances of smaller stuff being drawn up by the oil pump is quite high, likely damaging the pump. Then we rely on the oil filter to prevent disaster to the rest of the engine. Even then, the filter is likely about 30 microns, and particulates smaller than that will eventually pass.

The problem I have is that modest sized debris can circulate in the pan, sometimes splash around the crank, rods, pistons etc, and be beaten into ever smaller bits. Scoring the piston skirts and cylinders, etc. So even if the filter catches most of fine stuff, the larger stuff never passes the oil pump pickup screen and is generally free to circulate.

I agree that's potentially a valve spring lock. If that's a typically sized drain plug it seems slightly large for a modern valve spring lock... but.

I am not sure why you would take it to a different dealership to have them check the pan. Now you have two dealerships involved. I am not sure if I would have a good running engine taken apart possibly to find a problem. It seems like there is a lot going on here however if it's not broken I am not sure if I would want to try to fix it unless it's making weird noises or burning oil. That piece may have been in the oil pan since the vehicle was new.

If work was done, and debris was found, it sure sounds like the two are related. Possibly somebody will have seen a similar situation and know what the large part is from.

However in general, you are correct, if there is circulating debris, that's quite bad. Although we expect the oil pump's pickup screen to stop the big chunks, the chances of smaller stuff being drawn up by the oil pump is quite high, likely damaging the pump. Then we rely on the oil filter to prevent disaster to the rest of the engine. Even then, the filter is likely about 30 microns, and particulates smaller than that will eventually pass.

The problem I have is that modest sized debris can circulate in the pan, sometimes splash around the crank, rods, pistons etc, and be beaten into ever smaller bits. Scoring the piston skirts and cylinders, etc. So even if the filter catches most of fine stuff, the larger stuff never passes the oil pump pickup screen and is generally free to circulate.
Thanks that makes a lot of sense. There was metal found in pick up tube, and in the oil control valve and the pan so far, if that helps so some was definitely made its way thru

I am not sure why you would take it to a different dealership to have them check the pan. Now you have two dealerships involved. I am not sure if I would have a good running engine taken apart possibly to find a problem. It seems like there is a lot going on here however if it's not broken I am not sure if I would want to try to fix it unless it's making weird noises or burning oil. That piece may have been in the oil pan since the vehicle was new.
Mopar asked me to go back to where the vehicle was purchased to remove the pan, not by my choice.

Are you the original owner?
Yes original owner had some engine issues already. 1 yr ago Thermostat went out and had warped cylinder heads - fixed and then all the cams,lifters,and rocker arms,and rear main seal last week.

Back