Metal piece found in oil pan. Can anyone identify

Could be from ? Timing chain system, guides, tensioner? Cam phaser piece? Junk that fell in during the previous work?
I don't think techs make a bunch on warranty work do they?

Did I miss something......the tech did actually pick the piece of debris up correct? Or did the tech only take a pic and recommend a new engine? Please say the latter isn't the case, as we already know it was deemed metal to begin with.

This can't be happening...labor rates are what now??

This. It looks like it's threaded or a piece of loom. It also looks very plastic in nature.
That is exactly my first impression. Does look plastic and too large to be a piece of the valve train to me. Someone did some really sloppy mechanic work if they went in the engine in the past. Happens all the time. Sloppy work = sloppy results.

Bet they used an abrasive pad on the block where the oil pan meets the block too. No way that level of incompetence followed procedure and "carefully" removed the RTV sealant. Especially on a warranty job where they are racing the clock.

Good luck with that engine - I hope it lasts a long time.

Ending of the story. After being in the shop since Sept 20 and ongoing Mopar is going to replace the engine. New factory crate 3.6 pentastar ordered today ! They didn't make it easy but in the end they did the right thing. Happy Jeeper !

Ending of the story. After being in the shop since Sept 20 and ongoing Mopar is going to replace the engine. New factory crate 3.6 pentastar ordered today ! They didn't make it easy but in the end they did the right thing. Happy Jeeper !
That is great news and really the only proper fix to the whole situation.

This thread continues to mystify. In Post #32 you say it was indeed plastic and they were buttoning it up so you could take delivery of the vehicle.

How did we move from a piece of plastic wire loom in the pan to a new engine?

This thread continues to mystify. In Post #32 you say it was indeed plastic and they were buttoning it up so you could take delivery of the vehicle.

How did we move from a piece of plastic wire loom in the pan to a new engine?
I think it was all the other metal bits found in various locations as outlined by OP.
97K15004WD probably nailed it as to at least part of the cause.

So dealer just called and they found this piece of metal and shavings in the oil pan, magnetic dip tube and oil valve screen. Can you identify the big piece. Gonna have them tear down engine look for culprit. Engine is under warranty do you think this needs to be replaced. 2015 jeep wrangler jku Thanks
They are going to tear down the engine upon your request?

What was the piece of metal? Steel? Aluminum?

In my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 pieces of metal in the oil pan were chunks of piston skirt that had broken off and fallen into oil pan (lucky). Unlucky were chunks of piston skirt that fell off, jambed the crankshaft and trashed the engine.

Not sure why people are getting hung up on the metal piece that turned out to be plastic and how all of that plays into the new engine replacement. Who cares? OP is getting taken care of, that’s what matters.
At BITOG every discussion needs to get down to the tiniest detail discussed 6 different ways. It's in our DNA.

Not sure why people are getting hung up on the metal piece that turned out to be plastic and how all of that plays into the new engine replacement. Who cares? OP is getting taken care of, that’s what matters.
I just find it hysterical on all levels.

Reactions: D60
I just find it hysterical on all levels.
Plus it's a forum for discussion of vehicle-related topics. OP started the discussion-- we can certainly ask questions related to it. No one has to answer, but I find it curious anyone would, well....question our questioning....

Plus it's a forum for discussion of vehicle-related topics. OP started the discussion-- we can certainly ask questions related to it. No one has to answer, but I find it curious anyone would, well....question our questioning....
The questions cannot be answered though by the OP. He only knows what he’s told by the dealer.
So the continued questioning of the same thing, when the chapter is clearly closed, is odd.

It’s clear no more info will likely come forth.

Last edited:
Back