Energizer car batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey group,

Today I had to put a new battery in my 1994 Lexus. I went to Sam's Club because they always have good prices and they carried Interstate batteries the last time I was there.

Well they don't carry interstate anymore, just a house brand that I don't recall and Energizer. I have never seen Energizer car batteries before, but for only $45 INSTALLED in 15 minutes (800 cranking amps, 640 CCA), and three year free replacement, I figured it can't be TOO bad...

Anyone have any experience with these? Can't find anything on the web about it.

Andy

We've had Energizer car batteries up here in Canada at our Walmarts for a long time now, more than ten years for sure. I've used them in a number of vehicles and they last pretty long. In fact, I've got one in each of my cars right now. What I really like about them is that they've got more cold cranking amps than the OEM battery of the same size. In one case, I put one of these batteries in an 87 Mustang GT that had a very powerful aftermarket stereo in it (over 1000 watts) and with the previous battery the lights would dim very badly when the bass notes hit, but with the Energizer battery it would only dim slightly. That particular battery was over 1000 cold cranking amps though!

Never used one, but if the Energizer bunny can jump start a space ship, how bad can they be?
grin.gif

Any energizer or Duracell should be good, aren't they the top two battery brands in the world?

They probably are, but I was thinking since I have never seen energizer car batteries before, perhaps they are chinese or israeli batteries that Energizer licensed their name to. These days, anything is possible. It would be a quick way for Energizer to enter the big-battery market.

However, with Patman's post, I think my suspicions could be wrong.

Andy

Quote:

Any energizer or Duracell should be good, aren't they the top two battery brands in the world?

Don't quote me on this but...

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), Optima,and some EverStarts.

I purchased an Energizer for my Civic Hybrid three years ago from Walmart Canada. It was -20 degrees Celcius ( - 2 degrees F.) this morning and my car started right up. No problems in the three years.

Energizer name is licensed and Johnson Controls makes them. Same as Interstate, DieHard, & Duralast. Good batteries. They make some of Ford Motorcrafts, Hondas, and Toyotas.

Batteries in Japanese cars with Panasonic and National brand are Matsushita Electric - same as Panasonic TVs and stereos. Good stuff.

Hitachi (electronics company- Hitachi and Maxell) sells batteries as Shin-Kobe or SK.

When my current battery gets 'iffy' I am going to bite the bullet and get an Optima Red Top. That battery will last the rest of the life of the car.
smile.gif

If variable such as CCA and other statistics are disregarded (ie, buy the battery with the stats appropriate for your vehicle, climate, etc.) isn't one of the main considerations the "newness" of the battery?

Read several opinion pieces here and there advising to check date codes and get a battery as new as possible.

Could that be of more importance than the actual brand name plastered on the battery's case?

Quote:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm

Don't understand the format too much, looks like energizer is johnson control to me.

I believe they are made by JC. I am going to get another Interstate when my Impala needs a battery (despite that B. Labonte doesn't drive the 18 anymore), and have one already in my cavalier. Is about due for replacing also. Been in there since '01. I'd Google Johnson Controls and see what comes up.
fruit.gif

I bought an energizer for my wife's car. The only thing I requested from the service writer was to check the battery and charge the battery if needed...they did. Battery is about 3 years old now.

Just bought an Energizer battery from Sam's Club for my '99 Taurus last month. Will be getting another one for my '01 Winny before next winter. Can't beat the price, and from what I've read on this board, Johnson Control batteries are supposed to be OK.

They are. Back in 1995 I had bought a '93 Tempo and in '96 it needed a new battery. I worked at sears at the time so bought a Diehard. I unintentionally left the trunk open all night in the garage and when I went back out in the morning the light was still on and bright.
shocked.gif
It started right up. Of course, having bought the battery a couple days before may have helped.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back