Batteries, Batteries, Batteries?? What is the BEST choice?

Ahhhhh.. the days of the old, Sears original DieHard Batteries, among the best I’ve ever purchased.
Never had an issue with AC DELCO either...even in the newer GM vehicles I’ve owned. Many say Interstate Batteries are not as good as they use to be, or is that only the ones from Costco?
In any case, My 2018 Chevy Colorado is almost 5.5 years old, and still has the original AC DELCO Battery. I need to change it out before the real cold weather sets in, as I don’t want to be getting stranded somewhere.

I’m considering an AGM. (Group 48 required for my truck)
I have read some positive reviews on the following AGM Batteries, which have various price points.

Napa Premium Legend AGM-Battery 36 Months Free Replacement BCI No. 48 760 CCA $249

AC DELCO AGM silver, calcium Gold 48AGM 36 Month Warranty $213

Interstate AGM 760 CCA $169.99

X2 Power Premium (Batteries Plus) Premium AGM 775 CCA $349.99

Please share your thought and/or experience with any of the above. Any feedback is much appreciate.

Thank you!

The best battery is the freshest one being sold by a store with a fast turn around. That's why I buy them at Walmart and not at an auto parts store where the batteries are coated with dust and have been sitting on a shelf for the last 6-9 months, maybe longer.

I got about 5 years out of the Napa Legend AGM and it was still working when I replaced it (scored a 64% on my ANCEL Ba301 battery checker). The one I had said made in USA. Pretty sure it was a re badged Deka Intimidator, however when I went to replace it Napa was selling ones that said made in China. The guy at the counter helped me order up an Odyssey extreme and that's what I am running now. The X2 you mentioned I believe is/was made by Northstar and I think they merged with Odyssey (Enersys) I personally probably would choose that one and look for a coupon.

Can you just put an AGM battery in a car that didn't come with one? Does the charging system need to be modified somehow?

I would first have your battery LOAD TESTED...not just condition tested. If it's still good, get a battery maintainer and permanently connect it to the battery and keep it plugged in when the truck is not in use. If the battery shows any signs of weakness, get a new battery as you mentioned and get a battery maintainer as well.

I would buy the least expensive battery with the best replacement warranty that you can find. Usually a Sam's Club or WalMart special with 3-yr replacement will be the norm these days.

Avoid buying buying from the auto parts stores if you can because they are silly with their pricing.

IMO the very best battery comes with the longest warranty AND ease of replacement that's affordable. That's why I choose Walmarts Everstart MAXX batteries ten out of ten times. As for AGM's they are a better battery technology & I've seen some with 48 month warranties. Try to find you a warranty that's at least four years on AGM. Your spending more money so they should give you more warranty time. Otherwise stick with wet lead acid "Premium" warrantied batteries. I replace mine at 3.5 years b/c I don't want any issues with low voltages.

I'm fond of Odyssey batteries. I replaced the 10-year old Odyssey battery in my Trailblazer last fall because it tested at 200 cranking amps. I didn't want to go into cold winter weather with a battery that low. Still cranked fine though. Re-servicing the old battery to a UPS for its remaining life.

I would first have your battery LOAD TESTED...not just condition tested. If it's still good, get a battery maintainer and permanently connect it to the battery and keep it plugged in when the truck is not in use. If the battery shows any signs of weakness, get a new battery as you mentioned and get a battery maintainer as well.
I actually tested it with my OBD2 and received a warning. My device says to put headlights on during test. I think it’s time.

I like my NAPA Legend. It was up to 14.8V today.
No it wasnt. The alternator was putting out 14.8V to charge it. Which in turn means the battery was below nominal voltage.

Anything Northstar AGM. But if I needed to source right away, Die Hard Platinum AGM from AAP (with discount of course) would do just fine.
The Die Hard AGMs can be very slow movers at AAP. If you do go that route you want one as new as possible and reject anything more than 1-2months old.

Last edited:
I would buy the least expensive battery with the best replacement warranty that you can find. Usually a Sam's Club or WalMart special with 3-yr replacement will be the norm these days.

Avoid buying buying from the auto parts stores if you can because they are silly with their pricing.
I've started to go this route, too. Always used to get the NAPA batteries because they were rebranded East Penns, but now most of them are made overseas.

Bigger is better and agm is best.
What's the biggest battery you can make fit?
See if that size is available in agm.
For my Dodge Dakota it takes a max size of 27, I made a group 31 fit because I got a free one. When the free agm dies I'll try to get another one if not I'll buy a group 31 agm deep cycle marine.

The duralast gold that cost me 240 lasted the same 3 years as an everstart from walmart that's half the price. The original ac delco battery in my 21 escalade lasted just 3 years and 3 months and was changed last month under warranty. You should either get an oem ac delco or just go to walmart. Don't waste money on autoparts store batteries, they're just overpriced ok batteries. Acdelco's are cheaper and as good if not better.

The duralast gold that cost me 240 lasted the same 3 years as an everstart from walmart that's half the price. The original ac delco battery in my 21 escalade lasted just 3 years and 3 months and was changed last month under warranty. You should either get an oem ac delco or just go to walmart. Don't waste money on autoparts store batteries, they're just overpriced ok batteries. Acdelco's are cheaper and as good if not better.
That's the dirty little secret. Those Golds are probably built by the same factory then priced higher at the auto stores. LOL

Back