Why are car batteries in 2023 so terrible?

I agree, but if you purchase the battery above with those removable caps, you can choose not to ever remove them, but they are designed to be able to add water.

I prefer those. I don't much like the maintenance-free batteries that you can't add water to (well, not easily--sometimes you can peel the label up and find caps you can pry up, but they aren't designed to be easily removeable).

It's 2023. Car batteries are awful. For those of us with a couple/few vehicles we rotate through it seems that it's a never ending fight to keep vehicle batteries charged. I try to drive less frequently, walk or bicycle more, work mostly remotely from home, and it is a constant fight to keep batteries charged. I use all manner of tricks including disconnecting the negative during periods of non-use. It is a tedious process that truly seems it should be unnecessary. I might resort to just removing batteries and bringing inside during long periods of non-use, but what a hassle...

I buy good quality batteries, and they are all well within their designed lifespan. So the question is why are car batteries so pathetic? I don't remember this being a problem decades ago, but perhaps I wasn't paying as close attention, or we just used our vehicles more frequently? In 2023, why can't batteries be more robust?
Battery manufactures and mostly all manufactures are producing goods that are designed to almost fail directly after the warranty period. Thanks to cost cutting, reduction of lead and other materials inside the battery it is a wonder they can even work. My 1999 ford battery lasted until approx 2016 or 2017. When I weighed it in 2005 when I got the car, it was over 10 pounds heavier than a new 2005 motorcraft battery.

I pull mine if storing over 90 days.

I've noticed that too. For once I'm gravitating towards buying OEM batteries instead of aftermarket. Replaced a duralast gold that died just 4 months after the warranty. Reluctantly got another but if this one doesn't last at least 6 years I'm done. I'll get an ac delco after that. They cost the same or slightly less after checking.

It's 2023. Car batteries are awful. For those of us with a couple/few vehicles we rotate through it seems that it's a never ending fight to keep vehicle batteries charged. I try to drive less frequently, walk or bicycle more, work mostly remotely from home, and it is a constant fight to keep batteries charged. I use all manner of tricks including disconnecting the negative during periods of non-use. It is a tedious process that truly seems it should be unnecessary. I might resort to just removing batteries and bringing inside during long periods of non-use, but what a hassle...

I buy good quality batteries, and they are all well within their designed lifespan. So the question is why are car batteries so pathetic? I don't remember this being a problem decades ago, but perhaps I wasn't paying as close attention, or we just used our vehicles more frequently? In 2023, why can't batteries be more robust?
It's not the battery....it's the new cars with modems and tons of electronics.
Proximity systems.....ect.

They constantly drain any battery.

I get 2 years out of my batteries. If you regularly keep a hot engine bay, that's what happens. My truck never cools down really

Wire in a trickle charger with the pigtail out the hood. I've done it to a number of cars, especially those with larger parasitic draws.
They are not trickle chargers anymore. They are chip controlled battery maintainers. The old trickle chargers would overcharge the battery. I'm sure that's what you were referring to.

They are not trickle chargers anymore. They are chip controlled battery maintainers. The old trickle chargers would overcharge the battery. I'm sure that's what you were referring to.
I haven't seen an actual trickle charger in years. I still have an old battery charger, but like you said, using a charger instead of a tender (maintainer) would overcharge a battery. Tenders actually cycle the battery by continuously charging and discharging, which is what keeps batteries fresh...

You can still get lucky. My mom has a 7 year old Duracell from Batteries Plus (before I worked at a parts store). Her car sits for weeks at a time as she walks to work and barely ever drives. Yet it has NEVER even needed a jump start. 1995 Honda Accord. I fired it up the other day to run a 12v tire pump, and it cranked like a brand new battery would. I hate that car, but that battery is amazing. The moral of the story is you can still get a good life out of a battery, it’s just not as common as before.

They are not trickle chargers anymore. They are chip controlled battery maintainers. The old trickle chargers would overcharge the battery.

It's because they weren't voltage regulated, and as the battery stopped drawing current as it charged, the voltage would rise too high.

Even the cheapest $10 Harbor Freight battery maintainer/trickle charger/float charger is voltage regulated.

I've been happy with Kirkland batteries lately, they seem to last and here in Canada they come with very good warranty:
Warranty: 48 month free replacement period, 100 months prorated.

My BMW battery is now 12 years old, it is American made by Exide. I stupidly paid to have it replaced in 2011 at year 5--the dealer actually asked me why do you want it replaced it's fine. But I had a "coupon" and at the time it was $280. Sounds like a lot but some on the forum paid $500.

Anyway, with all the other cars I've used Costco, and the prices have skyrocketed while the warranty shortened. I haven't had one all out fail, but I check with a load tester and one did fail the load test at 48 mos. 6 mos beyond the warranty as you said.

But I did exchange one because for unknown reasons my wife's car couldn't start, and ABS and airbag warnings. It did pass a load test. But since it was no questions asked in giving me a new one, I'll still go to Costco.

A lot of batteries are now imports and the warranty rate is way up is what we see at the shop as in made in Mexico Saudi Arabia just basically no pride in mfg. anymore

It's because they weren't voltage regulated, and as the battery stopped drawing current as it charged, the voltage would rise too high.

Even the cheapest $10 Harbor Freight battery maintainer/trickle charger/float charger is voltage regulated.
Yes and they have been for a long time. I'm going way back. I think the OP was using the term generically....like "Zerox" this paper.

Yes and they have been for a long time. I'm going way back. I think the OP was using the term generically....like "Zerox" this paper.

Probably since three-terminal regulators like the LM317 became available and cheap enough. That was introduced in 1976; no idea what it cost then but they were under $2 in the 80s as I recall, and that was Radio Shack pricing.

I have always hated Exide batteries, and would go to great lengths to buy Johnson Controls/Interstate batteries.

The past couple (three) Interstate batteries disappointed me tremendously: they were installed in different vehicles, and all three failed immediately after their warranty period. From that point forward, I went with Deka.

Thus far, knock on wood, I am happy with Deka. So while this doesn't answer your question directly, my satisfaction with Deka makes me think that it's a design/manufacturing issue, not a modern vehicle/regulatory (govt mandated change within battery chemistry) issue.

Three years tops out of a battery in San Antonio. I always purchase the walmart one with the two year warranty and it goes out at 3 years. For $100 I don't think about it too much.

At work i was buying the cheapest I could get for the trucks and equipment. They rarely last more than 1 year so I switched to orileys batteries.

Those are worse! I'm lucky to get 3 months out of they best flooded batteries.

Last edited:
Back