Battery time..

All I have by me is Sam's.

Go get the Duracell (East Penn) battery at Sam's Club. My buddy has a 9 year old Duracell Group 65 battery in an old Ford Ranger that still tests at 70% State of Health.

Also check the Everstart MAXX group 65 battery at WalMart. If the serial number next to the bar code on top of the battery starts with "EP", it is the same battery as the Duracell with a different label. Buy the cheapest one with the best warranty. If they are the same, go with WalMart due to a broader number of brick and mortar stores nationwide.

Go get the Duracell (East Penn) battery at Sam's Club. My buddy has a 9 year old Duracell Group 65 battery in an old Ford Ranger that still tests at 70% State of Health.

Also check the Everstart MAXX group 65 battery at WalMart. If the serial number next to the bar code on top of the battery starts with "EP", it is the same battery as the Duracell with a different label. Buy the cheapest one with the best warranty. If they are the same, go with WalMart due to a broader number of brick and mortar stores nationwide.
I took a look at the one at Walmart tonight, it appears to be an East Penn it's sealed up tight..

Walmart, Sam's, AutoZone, Advance Auto and Napa.
Napa has a $25 rebate on their AAA brand battery and $20 rebate on Legend. Most likely East Penn, but need to verify.

Sam’s will have the best buy on an East Penn if you are a member or know a member.

Napa has a $25 rebate on their AAA brand battery and $20 rebate on Legend. Most likely East Penn, but need to verify.

Sam’s will have the best buy on an East Penn if you are a member or know a member.
Sam's club and Walmart is $140, I believe the legend would run me $147. I would have to verify that is in East Penn. Napa is only a two year warranty, Sam's and Walmart is 3 the cca's are about the same..

Walmart, Sam's, AutoZone, Advance Auto and Napa.
Having looked to purchase a battery recently, I think you'll find first two to have the lowest prices for equivalent warranty. 3year warranty Duracell and Everstart Maxx, and as noted both likely to be EP made in DE.

As an aside, when I first joined this forum and for many years AAP used to have by far the lowest prices with their JCI made AutoCraft batteries. They would have frequent online codes that would knock off 40% to as high as rare 50% iirc on the price. Those day long gone now, AAP no longer a battery purchase option 'for me'.

Having looked to purchase a battery recently, I think you'll find first two to have the lowest prices for equivalent warranty. 3year warranty Duracell and Everstart Maxx, and as noted both likely to be EP made in DE.

As an aside, when I first joined this forum and for many years AAP used to have by far the lowest prices with their JCI made AutoCraft batteries. They would have frequent online codes that would knock off 40% to as high as rare 50% iirc on the price. Those day long gone now, AAP no longer a battery purchase option 'for me'.
What battery did you end up going with?

Got a Costco near you? I have heard people really like their service/warranty for batteries. I do not know firsthand. I do not have a Costco near me. Price seems reasonable if your local store has the same price.
Warranty changed at Costco last year. No more free replacement. Only a three year pro-rated warranty...now one of the worst warranties around. Walmart warranties depend on model (one to four years)... AGMs are four years free replacement.

My current battery in the Versa courtesy of AAA. Am I pressing my luck? Maybe, Should I replace pro actively?

IMG_2440.jpeg

Last edited:
I just had a friend of mine, take a AAA battery out of his Highlander, that was manufactured in 2018, I think it was like a 2004 Highlander.. If I could get that long out of AAA battery I would put one in my Edge.

Yes, the problem is, when it fails, it fails without warning. But I should say, if you monitor the battery health it probably gives you a bit of warning. But I, like so many motorists wait until it leaves you stranded. That’s why I’m gonna treat myself to a new one before that happens..hopefully

Yes, the problem is, when it fails, it fails without warning. But I should say, if you monitor the battery health it probably gives you a bit of warning. But I, like so many motorists wait until it leaves you stranded. That’s why I’m gonna treat myself to a new one before that happens..hopefully
I have a BMS in my vehicle, so I get a warning, when my battery, falls under 45%, like it is now.. 🤣🤣 I went to Walmart tonight to get one, they didn't even have one.. I think with the cold spell here the last couple days.. they pretty much sold out..

I have a BMS in my vehicle, so I get a warning, when my battery, falls under 45%, like it is now.. 🤣🤣 I went to Walmart tonight to get one, they didn't even have one.. I think with the cold spell here the last couple days.. they pretty much sold out..
What does the BMS do? Measure voltage while cranking? Just measure voltage?

Seem to me the best is to load test the battery in the fall as it's getting cold. If it passes then it will likely make it through the winter.

What does the BMS do? Measure voltage while cranking? Just measure voltage?

Seem to me the best is to load test the battery in the fall as it's getting cold. If it passes then it will likely make it through the winter.
It's a battery monitoring system, it's connected to the ground cable on a Ford vehicle, when it falls under 45% of a charge, a light will come on. "Turn off power to save battery" sometimes the radio will completely shut down.. what happens is basically the alternator does not charge all the time, it runs off the battery at times.. in return if you do short trips, you end up replacing the battery about every 2 years.. I picked up a battery today in Sam's club..

My current battery in the Versa courtesy of AAA. Am I pressing my luck? Maybe, Should I replace pro actively?

View attachment 199571
Any chain (and many independent) auto parts stores will test your battery for free. Why not do that every 6 months and continue with your current battery until testing tells you otherwise? Or buy your own tester, there are threads here with recommendations. I check my batteries at least annually, and on some every oil change, as it is pretty easy. I quit changing preventively, and have ended up saving big time. My Tundra went 14 years before it started testing low. I could have probably gone a few more months, but as soon as they start showing any sign of weakness, I change em.

The thing about batteries that we seen in these threads, is they can be a fickle product, due to quality control, as well as individual usage (or lack of use). So changing preventively a good battery, then the new battery only goes 18 months and fails leaving you stranded. What have you gained? I think the best investment is a battery tester (and a battery post brush/cleaner tool).

Any chain (and many independent) auto parts stores will test your battery for free. Why not do that every 6 months and continue with your current battery until testing tells you otherwise? Or buy your own tester, there are threads here with recommendations. I check my batteries at least annually, and on some every oil change, as it is pretty easy. I quit changing preventively, and have ended up saving big time. My Tundra went 14 years before it started testing low. I could have probably gone a few more months, but as soon as they start showing any sign of weakness, I change em.

The thing about batteries that we seen in these threads, is they can be a fickle product, due to quality control, as well as individual usage (or lack of use). So changing preventively a good battery, then the new battery only goes 18 months and fails leaving you stranded. What have you gained? I think the best investment is a battery tester (and a battery post brush/cleaner tool).
Makes too much sense, but I will consider it nonetheless 🤔. All kidding aside that’s good advice.

Back