Synlube filters - 100,000mi filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Synlube filters

I just stumbled across these searching for something else. Looks a lot like an Eao, but they are claiming much longer runs. No flow information which would be nice. Any thoughts?

No way I'm keeping a filter on 100k. I'm into 5000 OCI's with my driving habits which are all severe stop n go. I want a new filter every time. I can buy 7 wix filters for the price of one of those. Besides, leave an oil filter on over 20k and your warranty is fried.

I don't know how they do it ..but they post the right numbers. That is, 5 times the contaminant hold capacity is what would be required to make 100k ..or thereabouts. The 10um vs. 40um is near enough. The "more filtered oil flow" (not to be confused with "more flow") is correctly stated, if not always true over 100k.

...but that's way too long for something that fits in the same can as conventional media.

I always chuckle when I look at that site. Someone needs to buy that guy a new copy of Microsoft Frontpage.
OnTheCan.gif

Quote:

I just stumbled across these searching for something else. Looks a lot like an Eao, but they are claiming much longer runs. No flow information which would be nice. Any thoughts?

Well, he used an image from the old Hard Driver filters, so maybe he bought a bunch of them cheap when they were being discontinued. It looks more like a Fram X2 Extended Guard than an Amsoil filter to me, or maybe like the old AC Ultraguard Gold. Also the site says that it traps up to 5 times as much dirt as some conventional filters. They claim 95% efficiency, which would let through 5 times less dirt than the worst cellulose filters at 75%. I don't see any claims about capacity, so how much it holds before plugging is a different story. Semantics, pure semantics. Ahhh, the joy of advertising!

Just like his oil any oil or filter will "go" 100K BUT the filter will/should be clogged at that point and in by pass and the oil with toping off will be full of wear debris and most likley very thick, BUT will it lunch an engine??? Maybe not but it will surly shorten its life.
bruce

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on using them, but I'd never seen them discussed before so I thought I would bring it up...if only for a laugh.

Laminar Lou - that's one of the best smilies I've seen!

Just another micro-glass so why not get an Amsoil EaO and be done with it. Well just pretend to go 100K on it. Hokey website that I have seen before and DO NOT TRUST!

They had microglass synthetic media years ago. Now Amsoil sells one and you guys slam Synlube. I sometimes just don't get it.

Yeah, so the website sucks. Where do you want your R&D budget wasted on? website developer or fluid/filtration products?

I'd also wager that the defunct Peak Hard-Driver filter and the Fram X2(another synth media filter), would give the EA0 a run for the money.

I have been using a supply of HardDriver filters from eBay on my Ford 302. I think I have one left.
I can't say if they filter any better, but they sure are well-made.
I cut them open with an air chisel, and it takes some doing.
I have been changing twice a year, but may leave this latest on for 2 OCIs.
Note the date-- which is itself unusual to find -- 10 years old now. I just changed; the drainback valve didn't seem brittle or anything. It's black--not silicone ?
071104HardDriver2.jpg

I think the filter should be fine but 100K is a little more than I am comfortable with.

Lifetime oil Please I don't think I am ready t believe that one yet.

Now if you want to install their oil and start UOA every 3-5K and let us know how long it goes be my guest. I think Amsoil recommendations for OCI are a little high for most to. If you want to go that far based on that website then be my guest.

Not sold.

First time I read about these microglass filters, was back in 1994/1995. Think it was a Mahle filter. I have also used Amsoil(5/30 series 2000, I think). It said you could go 40000 km on that oil. I had it in for 20000km. I think they have a good oil, but in my opinion it is no better than RP. Did not notice any difference in noice or fuelconsumption. The only oil I have experienced a noticable change in noice and fuelconsumption, is the Synlube. How it performs in the long run is yet to be seen, because I have only done a bit more than 5000 miles on it, now. Have you noticed the similarity in viscosity index with the Eneos? Eneos have 199 and Synlube have 200. Also, Eneos is a 0/50 and Synlube is a 5/50(at their homepage they tell you itis closer to 0, but they sell it as a 5w, since most americans don't buy oil marked 0w.

Doesnt really seem fair to slam Synlube if no one here is willing to try it, or even get a bottle and do a UOA on it.
The dude may be sittin on the pot of gold, you never know.
But as obsessive as most of us are about changing oil, I dont think any of us could survive not changing oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back