Synlube filters - 100,000mi filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Doesnt really seem fair to slam Synlube if no one here is willing to try it, or even get a bottle and do a UOA on it.
The dude may be sittin on the pot of gold, you never know.
But as obsessive as most of us are about changing oil, I dont think any of us could survive not changing oil.

Well, many of us are trying to achieve just that ..the longest OCI possible with confidence. Not that we really ever practice our discoveries in reality. Everyone wants the holy grail.

Now, I agree, it's a bit presumptuous to slam synlube without even a cursory analysis. If johnny-b will post a UOA at some point beyond 10k ..then we should know if the stuff has any worth compared to other offerings of more reasonable claims.

As far as that filter goes?? There's only so much holding capacity in a given can size ..even if it's chuck full of the best media. I guess if you're only filtering down to the 20-30 micron level, you could get an extended mileage usage out of the thing. The limits of which would be beyond my ability to speculate. In normal driving, where miles are used for the basis for the OCI, I'm thoroughly convinced that just about any filter, in the absence of any mechanical oddity, will make 15k with near 100% service capability (allow I've only tested a 10k filter for a data point). Add to that a synthetic media of a looser filtering level and I imagine that you could get upwards of 25k or more.

Also keep in mind that we have some pretty high standards here of what we call "good" ...yet we personally see thousands of vehicles each week that are still running with marginal care. These engines are taking equity out of the life span of the engine ..yet have enough of it to make it to the finish line for 2 or 3 owners.
dunno.gif

Hi, Gary Allan. I will also take a VOA and send it in together with the UOA. I have been driving 10000 km(6200 miles) now, since I filled my old Nissan with Synlube. All I can say now, is that this seem to be the best oil I have ever used. However, this is based on sounds from the engine being gradually reduced, how the engine idles and how I think it performs,as well as a slight reduction in fuelconsumption. I will do a lot of driving this summer, so I was planning to send in a UOA when I reach some 20K miles.
I also have ordered their gear oil, and already have their oil in the diff. I also ordered their microglass filter, and I will replace the OEM Nissan oil filter with this. I don't think you can go wrong, by using their products, but if anyone can give some info proving otherwise, I would be glad to know. In the meantime, I keep on driving to test it.

I also found this info about their oilfilter:

The SynLube™ Oil Filters may look the same as the conventional Oil Filters that they replace, but the similarity ends there. The SynLube™ Oil Filters offer superior performance well beyond that of conventional oil filters, including:

Cleaner Oil - Substantial improvement in multiple-pass filter efficiency
(95% vs. 80% for conventional filters)
is achieved through the use of synthetic MicroGlass fibers in the filter media.
Wire Backing - protects the filter media from tears and provides uniform spaces between each pleat for improved oil flow.
Improved housing to base crimp - reduces potential for Filter Failure due to Pressure Build-up - SynLube™ Oil Filter outperforms conventional filters by 2.5 to 1
in hydrostatic pressure testing (steadily increasing pressures).
Thicker gauge housing - reduces potential for Filter Failure Due to Repeated Pressure Surges at Start-up - SynLube™ Oil Filter outperforms conventional filters by 3 to 1
in cyclic pressure impulse testing (SAE J806, 0-100 PSI @ 0.5 Hz).
Easier Filter Removal After Use -
Non-stick filter gasket allows for easier removal of the filter at the end of its useful life.

Key Benefits
Long Service Life - up to 10 Years or 100,000 miles
Traps up to 5 times more contaminants *
Improves Filtered Oil Flow by up to 80% @ 30°F (-1°C) *
Traps particles that are up to 4 times smaller *
(10 microns vs. 40 microns )

* when compared to Conventional Cellulose media Oil Filters,
Test Results based on SAE J 1858 Testing Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back