Used Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all things, there is a breaking point. Consider the cost or mounting and balancing half-worn twice as often. Consider that the last 2-3/32nds is useless. Punctures are more likely w/o deep tread to protect. Tires get harder and slicker over time. imo, the only good used tires are free ones. I bought a set of 4 used Yoko V4S, a tire I wanted to try anyway. The seller lied about condition and I paid a bunch for the shipping...bottom line is I paid 75% of the cost of new and got 2 with 6/32nds and 2 with 8/32nds, break-even until I pay for mounting. Seller said "like new". "barely used" and only 1500 miles. Ok, that comes out to them being bald in 4000 miles. So, I learned a lesson. Like I said at first, after shipping, mounting and balancing, plus the fact the last few 32nds are useless, buying new is a beter deal. Two predictive methods I use to get the most out of a set is to either plan on buying 2 new tires EVERY winter for front or wait to rotate a new set until the following winter, moving tread up front. A new pair every winter is a the best plan. Multiple sets of rims lets me use a set for two winters, storing them from the hot summer pavement and using an older set for summer "smokers".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back