Used Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Also, seems money's tight for many, and many people are retaning their old tires for kinfolk and friends.

yet they find money to buy 50" screen tv's and go to the cruses. common sense in some people is ridiculous.

i for one will never buy used tires. It's just doesn't make any sense at all! All you get is questinable mediocre tires and hassle + waste money for installation. and then you need new tires before you know it. i'd rather cut back on anything else than tires. just wasted perfectly fine 6/32 OEM firestones from my honda. who needs #@$%! tires? firestone can have it back!

Oilnoob 425,

Don't know of a single chickenhouse worker or farmhand who's gone on a cruise. Live and own a business in the 48th poorest state of fifty in the 68th poorest county of 72. Things is TOUGH in hill country of Arkansas.

Bob

Quote:

Oilnoob 425,

Don't know of a single chickenhouse worker or farmhand who's gone on a cruise. Live and own a business in the 48th poorest state of fifty in the 68th poorest county of 72. Things is TOUGH in hill country of Arkansas.

Bob

in that case sorry. but there is too many people with the means who is taking such important stuff like tires for granted. my sister for example. i myself don't make much money.i'd rather work extra and not go out sometimes but buy good tires.

I've bought many used tires in the past. Gets you through tough times, not to mention old cars with bad alignment problems.

Back in the late '80s I upgraded one of my cars ('66 VW Type 2 pickup) to 16" wheels off an '84 Corvette. The only 16" tires that were the least bit affordable were used ones, and even then they were still $50 each. Compared to the price of $150 to $200 for your average new 16" tire back then, it was a bargain.

Within a 5 year span I drove nearly 90K highway miles with used tires on that one vehicle. Used tires are sometimes the only affordable way for some folks to keep their wheels underneath their car.

I had bought a pair of retreads for the rice rocket we used to own, and the salesman (ran it out of his barn) had his compressor down that day. So I had to go find a dealer willing to put them on for me. After everything was done, the total cost of the tires and the mounting were just under what two new Douglas' from Wmart would have been mounted, etc. so no more retreads for me.
bop.gif

New tire prices have come down because of competition. Thank those online stores. There are also plenty of import and generic brand tires that aren't too expensive.
Why is there even a demand for used tires? I guess that my budget values my life more then saving a buck.

Its funny that for some people, there is no shortage of money for luxury or for habits like beer or cigarettes.

Quote:

New tire prices have come down because of competition. Thank those online stores. There are also plenty of import and generic brand tires that aren't too expensive.
Why is there even a demand for used tires? I guess that my budget values my life more then saving a buck.

Its funny that for some people, there is no shortage of money for luxury or for habits like beer or cigarettes.

This is
offtopic.gif
but I remember being somewhere where this person's friends came in and asked her for a smoke. When she turned out not to have any on her the nitwits said "But we NEED cigarettes NOW!!!!!!
drool.gif
crazy.gif
" After we went in another store I said to my wife "I'm glad we don't smoke."
smirk.gif

Quote:

Gets you through tough times, not to mention old cars with bad alignment problems.

I been through some very tough times last year. No job, bunch of problems, credit cards debts. Didn't stop me from buying to sets of very expensive snow tires and wheels. I value my safety more than money which you can always get later.
UnDummy is rigth on the money with his reply, too.

I wouldn't mind good used tires, especially when most of my tires are still good but one got damaged; putting a new tire on means uneven traction.

When you are on a spare, you don't want to find a 195-60-14 Dunlop SP A2 (non plus) with 6/32 +/- 1/32 trend locally. It is far easier to just replace 1 perfectly good tire to keep the tires on the same axle identical.

Now I am smarter, I keep the good as a cold spare, so when I get another puncture, I will have one to swap in. Now it will be better if all of my cars are the same size using the same brand/model tires.

Reducing landfill usage is a plus too.

I find it strange that some would insinuate that all used tires are somehow unsafe. If they are only a few years old and have been checked out and mounted properly, they're every bit as good as the new tires you put on your car a few years ago.

Plenty of perfectly good tires are replaced when they are only half worn down, this happens all the time when someone decides to buy all 4 new ones when buying only 2 would have been fine.

I value my life as much as anyone, choosing to buy used tires doesn't mean I value my life or that of my family any less than someone who buys new ones.
smirk.gif

Quote:

......I find it strange......all used tires are somehow unsafe.......only a few years old.....have been checked out............

b-man,

I think the problem is that many people feel they don't have the expertise to select used tires and have figured out that some folks who sell them don't care enough for their customers to screen out potentially bad tires. This is one area of the tire business that is totally unregulated and there doesn't appear to be a good mechanisim to remove the dishonest and incompetent.

the mechanism is a warranty.

i will give you guys an example. some people like me mount my own tyres and balance them myself.
i get used tyres from the junkyard in matched sets of 2 or 4 for $15 each.
so for $60 i get a set of tyres with 50-75% tread remaining.

americans generally replace tyres far too often. theres a growing ammount of used tyres from america that are shipped to other parts of the world and sold without retreading. they just ship em out and resell em.

if them people can run our own used tyres, why cant we run our own used tyres?

because americans generally dont like used things. we are a consumer society.

Quote:

because it's dangerous? "them people" oftentimes can't afford good tires thus happy with anything they can get. we on the other hand have a luxury of changing tires often. and still some people are too dam cheap or/and foolish about it. you should trash your tires when they reach 4/32 if you encounter rain and at 6/32 if you got snow. don't be cheap when it comes to your own safety!

Quote:

because americans generally dont like used things. we are a consumer society.

there is nothing wrong with not liking used things. would you like my used underwear? why not??!! they're in good condition and perfectly clean. and i will give it to you for free! Why wouldn't ya take 'em ??!!!

and I'm not even american.
laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

because it's dangerous? "them people" oftentimes can't afford good tires thus happy with anything they can get. we on the other hand have a luxury of changing tires often. and still some people are too dam cheap or/and foolish about it. you should trash your tires when they reach 4/32 if you encounter rain and at 6/32 if you got snow. don't be cheap when it comes to your own safety!

you keep replacing youre tyres at 6/32nd. ill keep buying them. win win for both of us.

capri, maybe used tyres dont have warranty everywhere, but at most salvage places (atleast the ones around here) give ya a warranty.

Quote:

.....capri, maybe used tyres dont have warranty everywhere, but at most salvage places (atleast the ones around here) give ya a warranty.

Ehat kind of warranty? 30 days? Not much of a warranty IHMO.

Here let me illustrate what I'm talking about. This is a real life situation with some slightly altered facts:

Guy buys a used tire. Tire has a nail in it. Used tire seller plugs it and sells the tire with a 30 day warranty. 2 months down the road the tread comes off, the vehicle goes out of control, and the vehicle hits another car.

Does the tire seller stand behind his sale?

No!! He closes the shop and heads out of town.

That's what I mean by a warranty!

By the way, I am serious about looking for a 195 60 14 Dunlop SP A2 with around 4/32 trend left, if you have one please let me know.

Also WTB, a set of H rated 185 65 14 like new used tire for my corolla, the Wynstar Phaser 23 it is riding on is getting to 2/32 - 3/32.

ah , i had this great response typed up for you guys. i was sitting here typing for probably 10 minutes, i accidently pressed escape or del or something because it just went away.
i digress, i cant be bothered to type it all again.
capri, everyone else, you guys know where i stand. :p

panda, i dont actually sell tyres.

I'll just throw in my two cents here...

There are some used tire shops around Dallas and Fort Worth here which certainly do a heck of a business in old rubber. They have racks and racks and racks of used tires, full sets, take-offs, singles, and they even sort by brand and model.

When I was driving my taxicab (98 Crown Vic, 225/60/16) I would always go to one particular shop which always had plenty of Firestone Firehawks, Goodyear Eagle RS-A's, and other speed rated big tires I could use. I figured, why let my cab fleet owner throw on whatever junk tires he had laying around to keep me rolling when I can spend $80-$100 and get a matched set of tires that are meant for the cab?

I also went to the same shop for subsequently owned vehicles and they always had what I needed. The only time I wasn't able to get EXACTLY what I wanted was when I drove a 1997 Lumina and it had BFGoodrich Touring T/A's on it and they didn't have that exact tire in that size, so I bought Goodyear Viva 2's with 7/32 of tread for $25 each mounted, balanced, and installed. Worked for me and I didn't own the car long enough to buy two more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back