Statements from Amsoil on DEO/AFL in VW (I asked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

"In response to your inquiry, while the DEO can be used in older VW Diesels, the newer ones required VW 505.01 oil. AMSOIL AFL, 5W40, is the only product meeting this specification. Top avoid confusion, we will not list any VW specification on other diesel oils. "

"..............our new DEO is not recommended for VW 502.00. Our AFL 5W-40 is the recommended motor oil for VW 502.00"

".............the DEO is made especially for 2007 on-road Heavy Duty Diesel Engines. We have not tried to see if it should be recommended for these VW specifications. Use AFL in the VW’s."

Have at it!

"We have not tried to see if it should be recommended for these VW specifications"

"To avoid confusion"

Those are the two operative statements....

The VW 505.01, BMW/LL-04 and MB/229.51 specs are based on the generic ACEA "A3-04" specification. The ACEA A3-04 chemical limits are:

SA < 0.8%
sulfur < 0.2%
P between 700-900 ppm

By contrast API/CJ-4 has somewhat less restrictive chemical limits:

SA < 1.0%
sulfur < 0.3%
P < 1200 ppm

VW 502.00/VW 505.00 are older specs and are based on the generic ACEA A3/B3 specifications, which had limits on SA of 1.5%/1.6% respectively - and no implicit limit on ZDDP.

Given the thicker viscosity and higher additive treat levels of CJ-4, if the VW 505.01 rated AFL product meets VW 502.00/VW 505.00,then the DEO will also meet them (it simply hasn't been tested).

TS

That's what I extracted as well. I will not hesitate to recommend the DEO for VW diesels (given that Amsoil stands behind AFL for 505.01), but I will make it clear the currently Amsoil is not waranteeing this application (VW) for the DEO.

Thanks Pablo. Are you guy's as discusted with VW and their stupid oil specs as I am? Why can't they build engines like Honda/Toyota that can run on almost anything? It's out of control IMHO. Every month it seems they come out with some stupid oil spec. Give it a rest.

Quote:

Thanks Pablo. Are you guy's as discusted with VW and their stupid oil specs as I am? Why can't they build engines like Honda/Toyota that can run on almost anything? It's out of control IMHO. Every month it seems they come out with some stupid oil spec. Give it a rest.

bowdown2.gif

thats part of the thing that scares me away from VW's for future vehicles.

It's called "German over engineering". It's a shame too bc I like many of the VW models but between the reliablity problems and ridiculous oils specs, I won't buy one.

Quote:

I used to feel the same way, but I've come to accept it. In my opinion, it is only going to get worse as car manufacturers make their engines more and more complex. VW isn't the only one doing this. Ford has their own specs for most of their new cars, at least for 5w-20 oils, I don't know about other grades.

Quote:

Well said Buster!
bowdown2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back