Need quick insight - 02 cavalier vs. 05 neon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

My fiancee's family lives in the USVI. Her sister got her license, and her mother is up here visiting. She wants to buy a small 4 cyllinder car with MT.

Cars dont last down there - it is about as severe service as one can imagine. Critical is a MT and good brakes, as well as decent A/C and an engine that is up to the task of pulling severe grades.

We have found two decent used cars - a 2002 2dr cavalier (with the ecotec engine) and 48k miles, and a 2005 4dr neon with 28k miles.

I have expereince with the 2.0L in the neon from my mother's 97 plymouth breeze, and know it is a good engine, and also know the ecotec is a decent engine as my saab shares the block, and Ive read lots of praise on the setup in cavaliers on this site.

Sure, the neon is more money, as its newer and lower miles, but it is also slightly better equipped, though the cavalier has new, high quality bridgestone tires and the neon has the old eagles... Tires dont last more than a year down there, so its somewhat of a non-issue, but the new tires on the cav will give more life.

So, If you could buy either one (leave cost out of the equation, as IMO theyre both fairly priced), which would you buy?

To me, its mostly a wash, and so the cavalier, at a lower price (due to model year, body style and higher (but average) miles would be the choice, as it just leaves more dollars in the bank... but Im looking for technical advisement now...

So any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

JMH

Friend I work with has had both, and he thinks the Neon is much better, overall, than the Chevy.
Transmission doubts? Change the fluid with a good brand and keep an eye on all maintanence items.

nope the 02 cav has the ecotec - complete with 'ECOTEC' written on the valkve cover, and a cartridge filter!

JMH

Consider pricing various replacement parts: alternator, radiator, etc.

Is one cheaper than the other to a considerable extent? Just one factor to add to the buying decision.

Yes, the cavalier is a few thousand less - though they dont mind spending the additonal $$$ if the neon is a better car.

From what I know, I think itll be a wash - miles are close enough that its nearly irrelevant, age is more or less irrelevant, boith drivetrains are good - maybe the GM is a bit better. The only big thing is that the neon is more utilitarian with 4dr, compared to the cavalier with 2dr. As a result, that might be the deciding factor...

JMH

I have a 2002 Cavalier 4 door with the 5 speed manual transmission, but it is the OHV engine. The Ecotec was an option that year. I haven't had any problems and only repairs were brakes but that's normal maintenence.

I was under the impression that both used the NV-T350 MT. Perhaps that's not the case. Some Neons (the number is very small compared to how many are sold, but still...) grenade the differential when spinning one tire wildly and frequently. There is a pin that comes out and hits the case, destroying both. Newer models have retainers to (help) prevent the problem. Other ChryCo vehicles have reports of some small number of similar failures. However, if indeed the Cav uses the same New Venture transmission design, I don't see that as a discriminator.

I have a '00 Neon (same generation as the'05) and it's great. I had a '96 some years ago. The A/C can be almost intolerably cold. As you said, the engines are pretty much bulletproof mechanically. The engine is a timing belt design, and it's an interference valvetrain. I do not know the replacement mileage spec for the '05, but most owners who are aware of things change them between 90-105k miles (They call for replacement at 105k on my '00, IIRC).

Never owned a Cavalier, though I've driven them.

Personally, I'd suggest the Neon, but you may be right that it's a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other situation.

I looked at an 02 Neon before buying an 02 Cavalier with the Ecotec. For the same dollar, the Neon had a smaller gas tank, no tach, and no ABS. Maybe ABS is less of an issue with no snow, but what about mud?

The cartridge filter is absolutely the easiest to change of anything. Don't even use ramps for an oil change. In 80K the big thing has been a set of tires, and front brakes.

I have seen references to head gasket issues on the Neon here. Also, check the timing belt point.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
age is more or less irrelevant...

Really? I would expect anything made from plastic or rubber to age even faster in a hot climate, making age very relevant.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I have seen references to head gasket issues on the Neon here.

Negative; there are no particular head gasket issues with the ChryCo 2-liters after somewhere in the 1998 timeframe (any car can blow a gasket, though). The issue was to do with bolts & holes that were fixed before the end of the 1st generation model run.

Also, Tosh's comment about age may bear some consideration. My experience in the very hot, sunny climate of southwest Arizona shows that the heat itself is not a big deal for rubber and plastic (i.e. it's always hot in the engine bay on a running car), but the sun is an enormously huge deal in aging plastic, rubber, paint, and amazingly even metal.

Well, how about comparing the cost of insurance? If kept for a lengthy time if one costs more to insure that cost can add up.

I presently drive a Neon and have owned a Cavalier in the past. I would go for the Cavalier without thinking twice. The Neon blew a head gasket after only 26,000 miles and the ride is choppy.

I think the transmission on the Cavalier is more likely to last longer than the one in the Neon.

I say that because Chrysler transmissions have historically not been very reliable.

The 4T40E used in the Cavalier seems to be a very reliable transmission. I have not heard about any that have failed.

they are both MT cars... I was never aware of longevity issues on any MT vehicles - as not much can go wrong... Is this not the case?!?

I have heard excellent things about the ecotec/getrag MT setup in the GM econo cars...

Thanks,

JMH

Oh, if they are MT cars--I thought they were AT cars--then I would expect either transmission to last a good long time.

Check if the Neon has a timing chain, the Cavalier certainly does.

Anecdotally, I've heard that GM vehicles have powerful air conditioners.

We have a 03 Cavalier and I have nothing but good things to say. Very good little car. I assume the 02 has the older engine design, but we also had a '97 Cavalier and had no problems with that engine. I have no personal experience with the Neon.

I've heard of some VUEs with the Ecotec/MT combo having some clutch issues, but now I can't remember who told me this...

They are pretty much 2 equals. The Cavy has more power/torque. They are both American econocars, with poor resale. But, they will both last a long time. There's a good aftermarket community for both. Your decision has to come down to price/warranty. Do you want a 1 yr old car -- with lots of warranty left (7/70 powertrain), or a 4 yr old car with no warranty? I myself drive an 05 Neon. I bought it new last Dec. It hasn't been back to the dealer once. I'm a member on a couple of large Neon forums, and they don't seem to be trouble-prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back