2006 Grand Marquis GS setting up for 5 years

I would not trust those tires.
The car could possibly have one or two issues. Probably not.
But those tires, likely flat spotted and aged can kill someone.

If the gas sat for 5 years the ethanol likely has separated from the gasoline. Ethanol is heavier than gasoline and will settle to the bottom of the tank, so on start your running on pure ethanol. This is bad if the car is not designed to run on pure alcohol.

Just starting up on that gas is really bad advice, IMHO. The gas has to go.

My ‘04 Park Avenue had sat for years in a garage un-driven when I bought it. It had very low mileage on the odometer, but was covered with a thick layer of dust, the original tires were only half inflated, the battery barely turned the engine over to start. The gas tank was full.
I aired up the tires and drove it home 5 hrs on the highway, keeping speed below 60 mph. The tires smoothed out after 1/2 hr, and it ran and drove great.
The tires had no cracking initially, but developed cracks between the treads within a few months so I replaced them. When I got home and went over everything I found the airbox stuffed full with a mouse nest. Surprised it ran well like that. Maybe I was lucky but the old gas didn’t cause any issues.
IMG_0293.jpeg
IMG_0293.jpeg

^^Nice score. "Better buy Buick".

I dealt with a 2000 MGM (got it started and passed inspection) and considered buying it.
I learned to be grateful it didn't have air bags (shocks). Model with air bags can have regular shocks installed but there's a bit less room to work , they tell me.

Also, I mentioned the driver's window being slow and was told replacing window regulators is a common thing.

Ha, the car is still there but I have a lot going on. And with my luck, it'll be the one year or trim level nobody wants.

I watched a couple of guys get 2 of these running at the same time, both of which had sat for at least 10 years. they cranked but would not start. They would start on starter fluid. both had partial tanks of gas. Ethanol had swollen the fuel pump rubber bits up big and puffy. Iirc, they replaced both pumps, added 5 gallons of fresh gas to each, and started them up. I would have tried to drain the tanks but they didn’t do that.

ill add another vote for startron - saw it used on a C2 which had all kinds of fuel problems and it did make a difference - helped.

with 5 years, you could get lucky! Could start and go!

If you’ve kept stuff freed up and moving, I’d just top off with fresh gas, air up the tires, and drive it.

Back