How do I remove "hard" water stains from Windshield Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
These water stains really irratate me, and hard to get off.

What do I spray on that will get it off and not damage the glass coating and nearby paint?

I'm with mechtech, vinegar- it's been working for years..
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:

What do I spray on that will get it off and not damage the glass coating and nearby paint?

Whatever you do, don't use Ajax or Comet cleanser as this will not only take off the stain, it will scratch the **** out of your wife's windshield, causing you to sleep on the couch for along time.

Don't ask me how I know this...

lol.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:

Whatever you do, don't use Ajax or Comet cleanser as this will not only take off the stain, it will scratch the **** out of your wife's windshield, causing you to sleep on the couch for along time.

Don't ask me how I know this...

lol.gif

Bob W.

Bon Ami is about the only thing i'd use on a windshield. BMW even had a service bulettin out for using it on 89-91 5 series' windshields.

And use black ink newsprint (not the comics or advertising sections) with the vinegar solution. The slight abrassiveness is a good scrub medium.

quote:

Bon Ami is about the only thing i'd use on a windshield. BMW even had a service bulettin out for using it on 89-91 5 series' windshields.

I second the use of Bon Ami. Probably the BEST windshield cleaner out there. GM even recommends its use, and even sells it under the GM Vehicle Care name.

I've heard this before and went and bought a can of Bon Ami. It says right on the can label NOT to use it on glass. Go figure.
Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by SpitIX:
I've heard this before and went and bought a can of Bon Ami. It says right on the can label NOT to use it on glass. Go figure.
Thanks.
Bon Ami will not directly endorse the use of its cleaner on glass, but if BMW and GM reccomend its use, then I don't see why it can't be used for such. I don't think bon ami wants to take liability for its mild cleaner having the possibility of scratching glass.

I think there are different kinds of bon ami, so be careful of what one you use.

Maybe the bulletins have directions like
"use 1 tsp in a qt of water"?

Unlike when I was 10 and did a favor for my neighbor and washed their car with comet....
several years later that man was the sheriff,
with a real good looking daughter....
What a way to begin a relationship
frown.gif

Now I live in a different city.....in a different state...

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
And use black ink newsprint (not the comics or advertising sections) with the vinegar solution. The slight abrasiveness is a good scrub medium.

I also heard this was true way back when. But is this still true since they switched to soy-based ink about 10 years ago?

I'd still suggest dilute white vinegar/newspaper first. It absolutely, positively can't scratch glass or paint, nor have I ever seen if fail to dissolve and carry off hardwater "lime" deposits.

For hard water deposits in our toilet bowl, I use a can of Coke (you know the ones, where people open them, then leave them to go flat).

Does a good job, might work on the windscreen.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I also heard this was true way back when. But is this still true since they switched to soy-based ink about 10 years ago?

Still works. I think the abrasiveness is the paper itself.

I don't know if the black ink actually does anything or if they just say to use black and white pages because colored ink makes a mess on the glass.

quote:

Originally posted by ChrisW:

quote:

Originally posted by SpitIX:
Thanks.
Bon Ami will not directly endorse the use of its cleaner on glass, but if BMW and GM reccomend its use, then I don't see why it can't be used for such. I don't think bon ami wants to take liability for its mild cleaner having the possibility of scratching glass.

I think there are different kinds of bon ami, so be careful of what one you use.
Just remember that it's the Bon Ami Cleaning Powder, NOT the cleanser that was reccommended by BMW. Many a windshield has been scratched on that misinformation.

Here's the BMW TSB

Here's an explanation surrounding the confusion

Here's the product you want

[ December 08, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Lugosi ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back