How to remove spilled engine oil from alternator?

What’s done is done.
Judging from the responses few share my opinion that the little bit of oil is not an issue.

But apparently blasting the alternator with water, or other solvents, followed by a rinse with even more water is actually good. This logic makes no sense to me.
There is nothing in the alternator that can be harmed by mild solvents or water when not powered. The worst that could happen is either some of the wire epoxy coating on the windings gets removed or damaged or the bearing gets the grease washed out. It would have to be a powerful solvent for that.

But to leave the oil on it/in it, that will get baked into carbon sooner or later and become somewhat conductive.

Hyundai has recalls and warranty issues for oil on the alternators from leaking valve covers.

There is nothing in the alternator that can be harmed by mild solvents or water when not powered. The worst that could happen is either some of the wire epoxy coating on the windings gets removed or damaged or the bearing gets the grease washed out. It would have to be a powerful solvent for that.

But to leave the oil on it/in it, that will get baked into carbon sooner or later and become somewhat conductive.

Hyundai has recalls and warranty issues for oil on the alternators from leaking valve covers.
We’re talking about a dollar sized splash here, per OP, not a constant oil contamination from an oil leak.

If water is harmless, then so is the oil. How is the oil going to be baked into carbon? Alternators don’t get this hot.

The mental gymnastics continue…

We’re talking about a dollar sized splash here, per OP, not a constant oil contamination from an oil leak.

If water is harmless, then so is the oil. How is the oil going to be baked into carbon? Alternators don’t get this hot.

The mental gymnastics continue…
So something putting out 50-70 amps spinning in a 175F engine compartment doesn't get hot? LOL just grab one after a nice long drive with the AC on.

The OP wanted to know how to clean it. That's what got plus more if they are interested. Water is splashed on the alternator in the rain, for the most part it will not conduct electricity until loaded with some ions. Oil won't conduct electricity until it gets the lighter compounds cooked off and then turns to carbon.

It's incredibly wasteful and costly, but I've used electrical contact cleaner as a degreaser before, in some very tight places where it's impossible to reach, and mechanically scrub using a typical degreaser. It cuts through and dissolves even old, baked on oil/grime instantly, not unlike how brake cleaner behaves. Or using gas to wash dirty parts, as my dad had me do as a kid. A powerful solvent that's designed to dry quickly, leave no residue, and can be plastic safe. There are less strong electronics washes as well.

In this situation, with fresh oil in small quantity, I would have applied a strong solution made with dishwashing liquid, let it soak a bit, and gently rinsed it off. Not nearly as powerful, but cuts grease, doesn't leave residue, and relatively benign in nature without the potential for material harm. I'd expect that anything that it didn't easily remove is the kind of grime that would eventually accumulate in the normal course anyway.

Or, just wiped down what could be reached, and left it alone.

The only thing I’d be concerned about is getting oil on the slip rings or brushes. On large AC and DC machines oil and brushes absolutely don’t mix. That being said, I don’t think enough of oil would have made its way to the rings in your alternator because of the small amount involved. As long as you don’t notice any problems, I suggest you wipe up what you can and let it be.

Back