How to remove spilled engine oil from alternator?

None of the spray cleaners mentioned so far are acidic or caustic. All of them have a quick evaporation rate, so they won't stick around, unlike oil.
Degreasers and Simple Green was mentioned, those would be caustic.
Brake cleaners are on the acidic side.

And they don't evaporate that quickly. They would have plenty of time to possibly migrate into the bearing area for example.

This is clearly a case trying to solve a problem when there is none.

Degreasers and Simple Green was mentioned, those would be caustic.

Simple green is (it's alkaline), degreasers maybe not depending on the formula, if just solvents then not.

Brake cleaners are on the acidic side.

They are just solvents. They have a neutral ph.

And they don't evaporate that quickly. They would have plenty of time to possibly migrate into the bearing area for example.

Depending on the formulation they do evaporate quickly. The bearings should be sealed.

This is clearly a case trying to solve a problem when there is none.

I'd rather the oil be cleaned out than to sit inside the alternator where it can collect dust and dirt.

Spilled some new Honda 0w20 oil down the side of the block and onto the alternator on a 2020 Honda CRV 1.5T.

The oil appears to have gone down into the windings, it's hard to see in the photo but about a silver dollar sized splash went into the openings of the alternator, possibly more.

If this were not a new car with only 13k miles I wouldn't care really but it belongs to someone else and I want this done right.

I was thinking of spraying it down with water, but then again it is an alternator and I don't know how water resistant alternators are. I understand degreasers are bad for electrical components which leaves me with an electrical cleaner spray of some sort.

Maybe a combination of a short water burst from a garden hose followed up with electrical cleaner spray?

View attachment 187196
I would leave it. Give it a run it will fling out excess. Oil is an insulator and paraffin lube. Pretty benign here, These are designed for a harsh environment. Any other treatment might be more risky.

Leave it alone. The Prius motor-generators bathe in ATF. If you must use something, use ordinary water, maybe it'll float some oil out of a pocket somewhere.

Prius motor-generators are also brushless, unlike alternators.
Introducing water or anything water based seems the risk is higher than any potential gain.

Silver dollar size spill. Not even a fluid ounce, not even a quarter ounce.

And if the oil goes where? Someone said bearings? Well that's not going to hurt a thing. The windings? No. The brushes? Won't stay there long.

Introducing water or anything water based seems the risk is higher than any potential gain.

Silver dollar size spill. Not even a fluid ounce, not even a quarter ounce.

And if the oil goes where? Someone said bearings? Well that's not going to hurt a thing. The windings? No. The brushes? Won't stay there long.

If it were mine, I'd use the CRC Lectra Motive cleaner (designed for this application) and that would be it. My concern would be the oil collecting dirt and dust.

This is why I use shop rags and cover the oil fill cap area and alternator just in case a slight overspill happens, It took me a while to realize a decent size funnel that seats well on the oil fill orifice and wide enough cup diameter is preferred. It happened to me before long ago when I was new to doing oil changes on my first car. I'd leave it alone since a small spillover won't do any harm other leaving a small eyesore spot.

I bought this stuff from grainger to clean my MAF a few years ago but I don't remember the price being this high..

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/DEGREASER-ELECTRONIC-NOVEC-AEROSOL/p/MMM72463A

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 2.36.02 PM.jpg

Leave it be. At the most pour a bottle of water thru it. I see cars in my shop all the time covered in oil from leaks and the alternators are all filthy with oil dripping. We often wash the engines down before we work on them and never an issue.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I decided not to go with any solvent cleaners as there was a chance, albeit tiny, that the hydrocarbons could get past the seals on the bearings. Then there is the plastic degradation issue which seems like it wouldn't matter anyway after catching up on this thread.

I decided to go with a garden hose, concentrated tip, sprayed down the path where the oil leaks down and then blasted the alternator directly. I washed everything down with 2 gallons of distilled water to help remove any minerals left over from city water. I ran the engine for a while to heat everything up then went for a drive. No oil burning smell.

Sure feels weird spraying an alternator with a garden hose on purpose! I've done hundreds of oil changes but this one time I screwed it up, I even used shop towels but on this vehicle there is not much space and basically a hidden channel for oil to conveniently drain down onto the engine.

Back