hose lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the average lifespan of radiator and heater hoses? Mine seem to look fine and do not seem to be mushy or cracked. I have stayed up to date with my flushes, and have never had any leaks. I am sure I am close (4 yrs.), but was hoping since they have been maintained well, that I might be able to let them go longer. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Chinook

I think you are pushing your luck after 4-5 years on radiator hoses. On the other hand, I think I replaced some 20 year old heater hoses on my truck, not because of problems, but because it seemed like the thing to do. Nothing lasts forever. Take care of stuff, and it lasts a long time. I have to go out of state tomorrow, but see no problem leaving my 1977 truck for my wife to drive to work.

This is right up my alley. I work at a radiator shop.

East coast cars don't seem to need new hoses often.Cars from Tx west(NM, Ariz, Ca ,Utah, Nv) need them quit often. Must be due to the extreem heat we see.

Usually the lower will make 120K, the upper and heater hoses 60K max.

Gates rubber says change your hose
and belts every four years.
Yes I know you might go longer,
but I don't want to be that guy at the side of the road with his hood up.

The upper and lower hoses on my 1987 Volvo 240 DL
are original (and I am the original owner). The car has 489,000 km (~300,000 miles). Hoses still seem OK but the clamps seem in poor shape. Fortunately, I think the hoses are nicely baked on by now. I think they may last the lifetime of the car. IMHO, normal passenger cars driven in cool climates do not need hoses unless there is a history of failure in a particular model or if a physical examination determines otherwise.

quote:

Originally posted by chinook:
What is the average lifespan of radiator and heater hoses? Mine seem to look fine and do not seem to be mushy or cracked. I have stayed up to date with my flushes, and have never had any leaks. I am sure I am close (4 yrs.), but was hoping since they have been maintained well, that I might be able to let them go longer. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Chinook

My 'east coast' hoses are original as well. They are approx 10 years old and have 198k miles on them. Heat here in SC is a factor. I notice the slightess bulge at the bottom rad. hose. That is the beginning of the end sign to me. I have bought two new hoses and 4 new clamps and keep them in my car until I put them on as part of 'spring' maintenance. BTW NAPA has stainless steel hose clamps that have a band under the slotted clamp so that the hose is not stressed. I have the NAPA pn if anyone is interested.

busted a split my 7 year old upper rad hose with ~70K on it the other day.

i think it is important to get a good brand hose, like gates or goodyear. hoses are not somthing you replace often so when you do you should buy the top of the line.

It seems the cooling system hoses in small Japanese cars last forever. I've had the factory hoses last 10yrs 100Kmi+ on my nissan's and mitsu's. On the other hand, the hoses already look ugly on my 2001 ford windstar w/ 36Kmi
shocked.gif

G/luck
Joel

I just had my first heater hose failure (cracked at the fitting on the block) in my 92 Caravan with 147k miles. I replaced both.

This is so rare from my experience that I'm willing to let them fail in service.

The nicest thing about replacing your belts and hoses BEFORE they fail is...

YOU DON'T GET STRANDED!

The 2nd nicest thing is you have a complete set of belts and hoses available for emergency replacement if anything fails in the future.

I clean my hoses, scrub the belts, place them in their respective little cardboard sleeves, put them in a plastic bag in the truck down by the spare tire with whatever specific tool it may take to replace the item (on some vehicles it truly does require a specific tool!) and, hopefully, will never need them.

But, upon that rare occasion when needed (like when all the dash lights go on because the alternator belt on the wife's Mercedes just broke), it is just a matter of opening the trunk and VOILA!, replacement parts and tools are on hand.

The AAA guys are just amazed!
worshippy.gif

For some reason everybody reports the japanese hoses last longer than other brands/manufactures. I would just check them after 5 years to see how they are doing and replace if inspection shows a problem. It seems if you replace a radiator you weaken the hoses when you remove them. This I know from recent experience.

The exterior of a coolant hose seems to last forever nowadays, but it is the interior of the hose that degrades by simple friction alone. And that is exacerbated by hot climates, not exclusive to them.

Doesn't take a lot of degradation to see buildup in cooling systems. A build-up of less than 1/16 of an inch can cut heat transfer by 40%.

In other words, why cheap out on such an obviously easy item to service, especially as it affords one the opportunity to examine other parts of the system for scale build-up.

In our JEEP (with incredibly high underhood temperatures due to poor airflow management), and living in Texas, two summer seasons is enough in my book. Coolant change annually, and complete cleaning and flush followed by new hoses/fasteners every other is simple, easy, and makes for peace-of-mind. Distilled water, G-05 coolant and some SCHAEFFERS #258 is working very well thus far. (But doesn't obviate the need for a chemical cleaning at Year Two).

Unless, of course, one is going to get rid of a vehicle before its true lifespan is reached. (Sort of, why bother with oil questions if other systems are neglected.)

If an interior inspection reveals losses of hose material too small to measure, then by all means keep them four years. Or ten.

I regard it as simple preventive maintenance (like replacing all fuses/fusible links/lamps every 50k or so; they do wear down.

I prefer the vehicle be as close to factory-new as possible so long as it is in daily service.

This approach has worked in my family for over a half century (back when it was 2-months or 2000 on oil, a tune in the winter, a major tune in the summer, coolant changes every 6-mos, etc).

good points.

I have a Subaru which started having hoses problems at around 190,000 miles.

Ford truck with 80K miles and lower radiator hose was degrading.

Chevy with no visible problems at 170K miles.

I agree, replace them anyway.

quote:

The nicest thing about replacing your belts and hoses BEFORE they fail is...

YOU DON'T GET STRANDED!

Wise words ..unfortunately when it comes to this aspect of my 12 year old Caravan ..I'm lazy.
grin.gif

Not long after the heater hose went ..the bypass hose started to leak
shocked.gif
. Looks like I've found the time weighted fatigue limits of the OEM rubber parts
grin.gif

Now I might actually spring for the main upper and lower rad hose given the overwelming evidence that I've probably gotten all out of them that I can
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
...Looks like I've found the time weighted fatigue limits of the OEM rubber parts. Now I might actually spring for the main upper and lower rad hose...

Put it off. If you wait for them to fail, you'll have enough to generate a Weibull plot!!

>>> like replacing all fuses/fusible links/lamps every 50k or so; they do wear down.

Could you elaborate here? I am also a fanatic about preventive maint. and fix as much as I can before it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

I would look at years not miles on my hoses. I only have 122K on my 77, but don't remember how many times I have changed hoses. Heat is enemy number one for rubber.

quote:

Put it off. If you wait for them to fail, you'll have enough to generate a Weibull plot!!

lol.gif
I'm glad I researched what a "Weibull plot" is before I replied. I was thinking more along the lines of some Owellian conspiracy
grin.gif
lol.gif

"..if you scream loud enough ..you can start an uprising over this"

[ April 13, 2004, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Funny, when I bought my Lesabre. it was 13 years old, but only had 53,000 miles. I replaced the radiator, water pump, and several water lines(TB-intake) because of leaks. But the radiator and heater hoses are still good to this day.(17 years old, 99,000 miles)

-T

My 91 Caprice (Cop Car) has the original green silicone hoses on it. They reputed to last a liftime or million miles from what I have read. Have another 750k to go before I find out.

Replacement silicone hoses are not made for this model anymore but understand Goodyear makes a High-miler blue silicone for many different cars. I don't think they are as good as the green silicone.

When green silicone hoses were still available for my car the cost was over $200 for a set of hoses. The green also requires special hose clamps that won't cut into the hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back