Radiator hose connection leaking

Bottom radiator hose connection to radiator is leaking when the radiator fluid gets hot.

Saab 9-3 2.0T 2008

I purchased new hose and still the same problem.

I see there is a tiny nick on the pipe radiator on the front of the plastic radiator pipe connection, but I can't tell if it's a crack. Don't think it is.

I'm not sure if it's the pinch clamp itself that is weak or what.

Seems like a simple thing but no idea why it's still leaking.

Any ideas?

When it gets hot = under pressure... which is of course when its going to leak.

You might need to dig into it more and get a better look

otherwise:

@Trav might have some good suggestions.

If it’s a new hose and a properly applied clamp (and the neck was clean on installation) I’d be looking for a leak higher up that’s just draining down and dripping from the lower hose.

So I checked the old radiator, the "nick" that is there on the pipe connection that I thought was a crack, looks like it's just part of the mold / design as it's in the exact same spot.

When it gets hot = under pressure... which is of course when its going to leak.

You might need to dig into it more and get a better look

otherwise:

@Trav might have some good suggestions.

It's definitely coming from that connection pipe.

I am sure this is NOT the case, but paranoid now that it COULD be.

I was doing some work to the car and had to disconnect the radiator hose.

I had inserted (just some cloth like material) capped off the pipe to prevent coolant leaking out.

But I am sure that I took it out before I reinstalled it.

Now, my question is, could a blockage cause that sort of leakage?
Engine temperature is normal after driving and the fluid does circulate through the system.

Is this a replacement radiator? Is the hose OE or aftermarket? What type of clamp is being used?

It's a pinch clamp.

Bottom pipe connection from radiator looks like this

20231109_182108.jpg

So the area between that pipe hose connection just gets wet with coolant, doesn't even drip unless after a while.

Then after engine warm it leaks a lot under pressure.

I had a leaking hose on my Kawasaki motorcycle radiator hose. A new clamp didn't make any difference. So I went to my local Advance auto parts store to see if they had something to try. What I found was a was a repair kit that had 2 clamps, and a tube of rubber cement. At this point I had nothing to loose because anti freeze was leaking over the engine. Well It worked. It's been about a year now and it hasn't leaked a drop. Just my two devalued cents.,,,

I had a leaking hose on my Kawasaki motorcycle radiator hose. A new clamp didn't make any difference. So I went to my local Advance auto parts store to see if they had something to try. What I found was a was a repair kit that had 2 clamps, and a tube of rubber cement. At this point I had nothing to loose because anti freeze was leaking over the engine. Well It worked. It's been about a year now and it hasn't leaked a drop. Just my two devalued cents.,,,

Eventually I could try something like that but at the moment want to solve this problem.

It's a new hose and radiator connection seems to be fine.
Pinch clamp SEEMS to be fine.

I'm thinking two options:

1) the pinch clamp is the problem, could I use a regular hose clamp instead as a replacement?

2) I highly doubt it but maybe, there is some blockage, I would need to flush out the coolant system

Assuming the hose goes on the nipple with a normal amount of resistance, I'd butter up the interface with black RTV silicone and then clamp that mess shut.

Is there a chance that when you replaced that hose, you reversed it? Could the hose be 1-1/8" on one end and 1-1/4" on the other?

I went through the same thing on a old Nissan Frontier 6 cylinder. Mine turned out to be a pinhole in the aluminum hose fitting on the motor. The hose would cover the defect but it was not sealed by the clamp. I finally found it by removing the fitting and cleaning it up. Very hard to see.

Back