OK to use 40:1 in place of 50:1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to get a gas blower, but the brand I have my eye on specifies 50:1 gas-oil mix.

My string trimmer uses a 40:1 mix.

I really don't want to have to mix up two different jugs of premix.

What's your opinion on using 40:1 in place of 50:1 mix?

Thanks.

I have the exact same situation. I use Mobil 1 MX2T and don't worry about it. Seems to work super. One gas can with 40:1 in it.

smile.gif

I have a Stihl chainsaw that specifies 50:1 and a Shindaiwa string trimmer specifying 40:1. Bought 'em both the same place, and the engine tech there says using 50:1 for both is the way to go.

32:1 for everthing.trimers-blowers-pole saws-old chain saws-new saws.and yes like 59 vet said MX2T for the mix.but i run my stuff all the time (hard) not a homeowner,comm.

Ratio is more a function of oil technology then engine technology.

I use Mobil R2T at 40:1 w/fresh premium gas and use in everyhting.

If I get an echo trimmer in the spring that specs 50:1, will I be able to use the same mix in my 32:1 spec'd ryobi trimmer?

I will be using MX2T, and I have heard that people usually go leaner with the MX2T because it is a synthetic, and such a good oil.

I doubt the trimmer will have any problems, just wanted to know if anybody had a previous bad experience.

about all you'd have to worry about is a early clogged spark arrestor screen, easily removed and cleaned, or just removed.

Thanks for the replies.

I figure the difference between 40:1 and 50:1 is about 1% more oil. I'd be more comfortable going with 40:1 in something that specs 50:1.

I use 30-35:1 in my 50:1 engines.

I prefer to see a (just) wet exhaust, so that I know that the last part of the cycle is getting lubed.

Yeah, i have a stash of my own, some supertech multi purpose stuff in a measure your ratio type bottle, then a bottle of poulan synthetic, (not blend) 2 stroke oil i'm using right now, in the big 40:1 measure bottle, I wonder if the poulan is synthetic, but for a couple bucks, its already got stabilizer in it, if I can find some mobil mx2t, I'd feed it to a old mower or something a little bit at a time.

In my stash of various oils, I have some Poulan synthetic blend oil that states it is good for all two cycle equipment. It states to use one 3.2 ounce bottle in one gallon of fuel. This would be 40:1. I have some two cycle oil called Pro-Mix. It states that it has significant advantages in technology that allow it to safely mix in any of today's two cycle engines calling for 50:1, 40:1, 32:1, and 16:1 ratios. It says to pour contents of bottle (6.4 ounces) into 2 or 2.5 gallons of gasoline. This would be either 40:1 or 50:1.

I have used both of these oils successfully in my blower, chainsaw, weed-eater, and small tiller for several years, no problem. Maintaining an exact ratio is apparently not that important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back