Which Klotz Oil For Outdoor Power Equipment?

Everyone seems happy with Klotz, so I thot I'd give it a shot.
These are the requirements I need to meet.
Two Cycle
Full Synthetic
50:1 Mix Using Ethanol Free-Gasoline
Air-cooled Engines
Make my own Premix
Mid-Eastern US Climate.

Which Klotz oil meets these needs?

I like VP Racing brand available at walmart for $9

Its JASO FD runs clean.
or echo red armor from home depot for $17

I have no experience with KLOTZ, but their reputation was built in high performance cleanliness doesn't matter applications. IMO.

I'd use any of it except probably not the castor oil as it tends to gum up and carbonize. It's awesome for race bikes that get torn down regularly but not ideal for OPE stuff that you want to accumulate tons of hours on. I normally mix a bit thick, too.

Last edited:
The good people at Klotz told me a few years back that their small engine 50:1 pre-mix and their Motorcycle Techniplate are the same product and is their cleanest burning 2-cycle product that they produce.

The two products cost the same per quart but you can buy the 50:1 in a smaller quantity at a slightly higher cost per ounce.

So my suggestion for OPE use would be the 50:1.

edit: I entered a contest with Klotz on their Facebook page a couple of years ago and I won my entry. They gave me two of those 2-cycle oil smelling candles and huge pack of stickers. My wife made me burn the candles in the garage for some reason.

1710811624036.jpg

The good people at Klotz told me a few years back that their small engine 50:1 pre-mix and their Motorcycle Techniplate are the same product and is their cleanest burning 2-cycle product that they produce.

The two products cost the same per quart but you can buy the 50:1 in a smaller quantity at a slightly higher cost per ounce.

So my suggestion for OPE use would be the 50:1.

edit: I entered a contest with Klotz on their Facebook page a couple of years ago and I won my entry. They gave me two of those 2-cycle oil smelling candles and huge pack of stickers. My wife made me burn the candles in the garage for some reason.

View attachment 209164
Did the candles smell like castor oil? That would be awesome if they did.

Did the candles smell like castor oil? That would be awesome if they did.
They did. It was fantastic. The candles weren't made of wax though, they were made of some jelly looking substance. If they weren't so darned expensive I'd keep a few on hand at all times.

K;otz 50:1 is the correct stuff for outdoor power equipment. I do use their other products in my motorcycles.
PXL_20210711_104709321.jpg

Back