Biodegradation

Status
Not open for further replies.
True.

TMP polyol esters are more biodegradable than PE poloyl esters.

For some 2-cycle oils, polyisobutylenes (another type of synthetic hydrocarbon) are used and they are about as degradable as esters.

PAO is next, with Group I-III's being the least biodegradable.

I was reading an article about storing ultralights over the winter in areas such as this where winter flying is not always desireable and they recommended using mineral based 2-stroke oils for the last run of the season as well as the storage lube injected into spark plug holes, etc ...

--- Bror Jace

Bror, I would just fog the motor before storage. i do this with all my two strokes and have never had a problem.

I'm sure using any old fogging oil would be OK .... but if I ever get a big-buck 2-stroke toy, I'd baby the hell outta it. Especially if I was counting on that engine to keep me in the air.

I wouldn't mind going that extra mile to get the most out of it and keep it from failing at the worst time.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

If you want to baby it fog it. If you are worried about corrosion do not use Redline two cycle race oil. Corrosion city with that stuff.

"If you are worried about corrosion do not use Red Line two cycle race oil. Corrosion city with that stuff."

Noted. I would only use that stuff for extremely high RPM, high temp sustained operation ... with the understanding that it not be left in the fuel system during the off season.

Batches mixed up would be thinned out greatly and used in some other gasoline engine and not carried over into the next season.

--- Bror Jace

Bror, I believe George from AVlube sells alot of Mobil MX2T to ultrlight customers. Get in contact with him to see. I know alot of the ultralight guys use penzoil, but from the results I have seen with the stuff I think its not to hot. Deposits galore. BTW Redline will corrode your carb bras in a matter of days so its not just a longtime storage issue. It also isnt as clean burning as MX2T from what I have seen.

[ March 16, 2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

It was there mineral oil. A did see a test where they compared it with penzoil synthetic and another brands mineral and syntheic. The all looked equally terrible IMO. MObil Mx2T is very tough to beat from a deposit standpoint. When ran in a properly tuned motor the piston dome has a creamed coffee pateena with very little cylinder head and no exhaust tract deposits.

Thats the test I was refering to. The results froma deposit stanpoint are all pretty bad. A modern jaso fc iso egd oil will burn much cleaner and will provide for less wear.

Thanks for posting that link, Steve S. That was the sort of test I was looking for ... but like the others who've chimed in, I'm at least a little disappointed in it.
frown.gif

It looks like Pennzoil wanted to showcase a couple of their products so they picked up samples a couple of fairly lousy (or at least indifferent quality) products and conducted this comparison test.

That's probably why, joee12, they failed to disclose the brands they put there oils up against.
thumbsdown.gif

What is a "conventional synthetic" anyway?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Ben, the sad thing is that there is no information on independent comparison testing between various two cycle oils. I have been looking for a long time, and can't seem to find any. -Joe

Joee, Believe me I know. It took me years and lots of $ to find the best two cycle oils. he only thing I can say is a iso egd, jaso fc is light years ahead of the tc spec penzoil that was tested.

Steve, Thats pretty funny. It ried to explain the differances in another thread and had the amsoil zealots all over me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back