Anyone running classic (old) two cycle outboards?

I just retired from a marine dealer. A customer there did not want a 2000yr 60HP Merc 3 cyl 2 stroke. Customers tend to upgrade to four strokes, then would leave the old motors in our shop. I finally decided to buy the 2 stroke. I have other projects ahead of the boat. So it will be while before the boat is on the water.
Our family used to have an old Bayliner, with a 70HP 2 stroke Merc. The last time I was on it was about 1982. I have an Arima Sea Hunter. It will be a good Puget Sound boat.

I just retired from a marine dealer. A customer there did not want a 2000yr 60HP Merc 3 cyl 2 stroke. Customers tend to upgrade to four strokes, then would leave the old motors in our shop. I finally decided to buy the 2 stroke. I have other projects ahead of the boat. So it will be while before the boat is on the water.
Our family used to have an old Bayliner, with a 70HP 2 stroke Merc. The last time I was on it was about 1982. I have an Arima Sea Hunter. It will be a good Puget Sound boat.
Welcome to the 2 stroke smoke club.
EPA is trying but these 2 strokes are stout and will be around a long time if treated right. If you’re going to run a portable fuel tank your going to love what they did to those. I still have a tank from the 80’s I run.

I still regularly run some decently old small outboards

1966 Evinrude fisherman 6 hp not fast but will slow troll all day long!
1975 Johnson 9.9 low hours, great running engine in spite of the relatively weak breaker point ignition, good for about 18-19 mph in a light boat
1981 Evinrude 15 hp another good low hour motor which pushes the same boat to an outrageous 26 mph!

Welcome to the 2 stroke smoke club.
EPA is trying but these 2 strokes are stout and will be around a long time if treated right. If you’re going to run a portable fuel tank your going to love what they did to those. I still have a tank from the 80’s I run.
Thanks for the welcome..... I was on this forum a lot of years, until the last few years. I think starting about 2003. I must have been inactive too long. Could not get into my account. So I created a new account here.
You must have a steel tank? I have a couple of plastic tanks. Not sure what you mean by: “loving what they did to those”? You mean from metal to plastic tanks?

Yes it will be fun when I get the boat on the water.

I paid $450 for the 60HP. But 2 stroke prices are pretty high around where I live. A lot of people like me can't afford a 4 stroke. Also a lot of people don't want to spend big money for a 4 stroke. The LU sounds a little louder turning the driveshaft by hand than my old 60HP LU. I think the LUs are swappable with my 93 60 Merc. The original Merc is in pieces now.

Thanks for the welcome..... I was on this forum a lot of years, until the last few years. I think starting about 2003. I must have been inactive too long. Could not get into my account. So I created a new account here.
You must have a steel tank? I have a couple of plastic tanks. Not sure what you mean by: “loving what they did to those”? You mean from metal to plastic tanks?

Yes it will be fun when I get the boat on the water.

I paid $450 for the 60HP. But 2 stroke prices are pretty high around where I live. A lot of people like me can't afford a 4 stroke. Also a lot of people don't want to spend big money for a 4 stroke. The LU sounds a little louder turning the driveshaft by hand than my old 60HP LU. I think the LUs are swappable with my 93 60 Merc. The original Merc is in pieces now.
My tank is plastic but it has a manual vent screw. The new ones don’t. They supposed to self vent after they hit 5psi. They swell up like a balloon. Some have sprayed gas out. A lot of people get their carburetors flooded so bad the fuel just leaks through the outboard and into the water. The tanks are a strong poly that is supposed to handle the swelling.
Now they say to disconnect the fuel line when not running the motor.
I have one sitting in my shop that I bought when I rebuilt the fuel system.
My wife and I went fishing and it flooded all three carburetors. I didnt want to wear out my fuel fittings so I installed a shut off valve just before the fuel water separator filter. It worked but the swelling made me nervous. I grabbed an older tank I had and cleaned it up checked it out for leaks and been using it a couple of years now.
Attwood came out with a fuel demand valve that isn’t supposed to let any fuel past it unless the outboard is pulling fuel. Key word supposed.
The tanks have gotten better as far as functioning properly but you still have to add that fuel demand valve or disconnect the line every time you kill the motor.
Mine it a Scepter and i put a little fuel in it a few months ago because my old tank is starting to look it’s age. I let it sit a while and it never swelled. I even took it out in the sun here in Texas and no swelling whatsoever.
Turns out the cap that’s supposed to vent was venting all the time.
I emailed Scepter and they immediately sent me a improved cap.
I haven’t took the time to try it out yet.

Just started to order supplies for a 2006 OptiMax - boat was mine from new to 2013 - sold to BiL who used it once. He used to start it often - then less and less - now over 2 years. Will piston soak, do water pump, and flush DFI - just ordered Merc’s over priced oil …

Just started to order supplies for a 2006 OptiMax - boat was mine from new to 2013 - sold to BiL who used it once. He used to start it often - then less and less - now over 2 years. Will piston soak, do water pump, and flush DFI - just ordered Merc’s over priced oil …
Smart man going through it before ever hitting the switch.
I soaked the pistons while I replaced water pump and a complete new fuel system from tank to carburetors.
It didn’t have a fuel filter of any kind on it. Now it’s got a fuel water separator and the oem filter under the cowling.
I would move the fly wheel a little bit every now and then until it was time to pull that rope.

Smart man going through it before ever hitting the switch.
I soaked the pistons while I replaced water pump and a complete new fuel system from tank to carburetors.
It didn’t have a fuel filter of any kind on it. Now it’s got a fuel water separator and the oem filter under the cowling.
I would move the fly wheel a little bit every now and then until it was time to pull that rope.
Indeed - it does not have a pre filter but already have one coming:
Kofil R12T … my last boat had a 10 micron and no clear bowl. This will be 4 micron + sight bowl. Reason being we could only get 3/4 of the old fuel out. Will first try to run it from a new 6 gallon tank with fresh fuel before dealing with the 35 gallon tank …
IIRC the under cowling is 2 micron …

Indeed - it does not have a pre filter but already have one coming:
Kofil R12T … my last boat had a 10 micron and no clear bowl. This will be 4 micron + sight bowl. Reason being we could only get 3/4 of the old fuel out. Will first try to run it from a new 6 gallon tank with fresh fuel before dealing with the 35 gallon tank …
IIRC the under cowling is 2 micron …
When I removed the quick all in one Wally World kit fuel line. I took a utility knife and split it and sure enough the liner inside that hose was coming apart and collapsing.

When I removed the quick all in one Wally World kit fuel line. I took a utility knife and split it and sure enough the liner inside that hose was coming apart and collapsing.
Yep - many have done that … it will be a few weeks before we move the boat to my place - but finding the tank end will be an early job - it’s under the CC (tank in hull) and the hatch is tight …

Still occasionally use a 1955 Johnson 10 hp. I know it's history and it hasn't seen a lot of use. Surprisingly it doesn't weigh more than a modern engine.
Same!

My family has a mid 1950's Johnson 10hp sport-twin (I think it's called)

Really the only heartache with these antiques is the finicky and troublesome pressure-tank. You have to 'pump up' the fuel tank to force feed fuel into the engine. Parts are hard to come by for the fuel tank.

I got an old '63 Johnson 3hp "Lightwin" outboard. I use it on our old square back 17ft aluminum canoe which is about the same age. Still works pretty good.

Reactions: JTK
I have to three 15 HP Johnson/Evinrude motors a 8 HP Evinrude, a 30 Evinrude, a 30 Yamaha, 25 Yamaha, 40 Evinrude, 25 mariner and two 9.9 Johnson's. The 30 Yamaha is a gem, 3 cylinder and light weight.

Back