Anyone running classic (old) two cycle outboards?

I have an 80s Mercury 2.2 hp that I believe was made by Yamaha. The odd time I plunk it on the back of my portabote when I wanna go in really small lakes/ponds.

I'm running my 22 year old yamaha 90hp on my keywest The oiler was deleted so just premixing 50-1 and starts right up !!

Nothing like the smell of two cycle exhaust while boating.

My last 2 cycle was a Johnson 115 HP.

Since then it's been all I/O
Went from that same Johnson to Merc OptiMax - better - then 4S - even better yet …

Went from that same Johnson to Merc OptiMax - better - then 4S - even better yet …
I say this with a grain of salt but I think the Johnson 115 was the last outboard a shadetree mechanic could easily work on. I look at the Yamaha big (300 HP maybe) outboards today and they do not look easy for a shade tree mechanic to work on. But they do not break very often so I am told.

For me I feel a GM 5.7L I/O is nice to work on, especially in a wide open engine bay.

Is shade tree mechanic the right description for a guy who works on his boat engine on the weekends? I mean no trees on the water. Maybe canvas top mechanic or Sunbrella top mechanic.

Reactions: 4WD
I say this with a grain of salt but I think the Johnson 115 was the last outboard a shadetree mechanic could easily work on. I look at the Yamaha big (300 HP maybe) outboards today and they do not look easy for a shade tree mechanic to work on. But they do not break very often so I am told.

For me I feel a GM 5.7L I/O is nice to work on, especially in a wide open engine bay.

Is shade tree mechanic the right description for a guy who works on his boat engine on the weekends? I mean no trees on the water. Maybe canvas top mechanic or Sunbrella top mechanic.
Yes - I remember wanting to test OMC CarbonGard (strong Techron) and how easy it was to look at all pistons (it worked a bit) …

I have replaced all three relays on my 140 HP Yamaha, motor up, motor down, and the starter relay. A genuine Yamaha starter relay last year was $140 US. I also picked up some Made in China relays that look identical, as spares.

Sure; If you work on the boat in the shade. Drain and refill the lower unit oil and replace plugs every 1 or 2 years. Impeller when the motor needs it.

Back