ecoboost 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there everyone!
Been lurking on here researching oil on about every lunch break this year. My situation is a little unique. My daily commute to work is rather high then on the weekends I am consistently towing heavy in the Texas heat. If I could for the life of me figure what oil to at least be decent in my engine with the fuel dilution these are known for. The general consensus out there is run whatever just change more often if you're worried. Then I was reading about how terrible some oil is in other direct injection engines. I'm also a little afraid of running something like amsoil for extended time as how heavy and far I'm towing I just can't risk it.

Then don't risk it.

I wouldn't be probing the limits of OCI's when loading up the truck.

If it were my truck running your described load, Id step it up a grade to x-w30 and I run a moderate OCI 5-7500 on either M1 or PP - pick your top quality synthetic of choice - its cheap these days.

UD

Why not just Castrol Magnatec? It seems to have outstanding UOA, run it to the OLM or until whatever mileage makes you feel good and change. I probably wouldn't go nuts on the filter personally. I'd probably run a Motorcraft or something similar.

welcome2.gif

What kind of truck do you have?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

What kind of truck do you have?

Thank you! I really like checking out all the new posts everyday! I'm happy to finally be a part of the forum

2014 ecoboost 3.5 f150 super crew cab is what I'm looking to take good care of.

If it were mine I would run Castrol GTX Magnatec for 5k then do a UOA or another option to try Chevron Delo XLE 10w30.

Originally Posted By: boostnation

Thank you! I really like checking out all the new posts everyday! I'm happy to finally be a part of the forum

2014 ecoboost 3.5 f150 super crew cab is what I'm looking to take good care of.

Cool! Does your F150 have the IOLM? The computer tells you when it thinks is the best time to change your oil based on driving conditions. If it does, you can follow its suggestions with confidence. Tomorrow (8/31) is the last day of Napa's sale on its house brand synthetic for $2.99/qt, so stock up while it's on sale, and pick up a Napa Gold filter while you're there
smile.gif

I have an early build '11 Ecoboost that has had Castrol Edge 0w40 in it for years. No problem whatsoever. The extra viscosity covers any fuel dilution and I change it around 4-5k miles, mostly over concerns of shoot contamination. At 97k she's strong as ever. Go to www.gf-6.com and learn about soot contamination and LSPI.
Good read there...

Turbo=Synthetic oil.
M1
Castrol Edge
Pennzoil Platinum
All this [censored] about magnatec and other semi-synthetic oils etc. forget about it. You will save few bucks and difference is much more then that.
If I were in your situation I would run M1 EP and do 5K OCI.
Ford is going through growing pains with Ecoboost, something that VW, BMW, MB went through 10+ years ago. Expect fuel dilution, CBU. Only way to address that is very good synthetic oil with low NOACK percentage. Probably best would be to run Euro spec. 5W30, but it might be an overkill.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 Has shown to have outstanding wear protection, but since you're in Texas and you tow i'd run Castrol Edge 0w40 or M1 0w40, You will never have to worry about cold starts because of the 0w part and i'd rather use a 40 grade since you have a Turboed Direct injection engine and you tow in a hot climate.

Use an oil that meets Ford's 946-A spec at minimum, and the Honda HTO-06 spec if possible. I say this simply because that spec was built around turbo engines, and just provides that extra layer of comfort (at least it does for me).

USE 5w-30 VISCOSITY. Unless, of course, you know something the engineers who build and design the engines don't.

Use Wix, NAPA, Motorcraft, or equivalent oil filters.

Change the oil every 3,000 - 5,000 miles until you can verify fuel dilution isn't a problem. If it isn't based on your driving style, follow the OLM.

Go on with your life. Don't try and over think this thing. The engine will be fine.

Z-

Nothing wrong with changing M1 or PP at 5k on the eB ... I can do those for $30 ... No UOA.
I like to push our eB to give it some good intake flow - and knowing there is HTHS left.

I've used Pennzoil Platinum in both of my EB 3.5's. Cheap enough and combined with a Fram Ultra I've got a ton of protection.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I've used Pennzoil Platinum in both of my EB 3.5's. Cheap enough and combined with a Fram Ultra I've got a ton of protection.
Protection from ???

Originally Posted By: edyvw

All this [censored] about magnatec and other semi-synthetic oils etc. forget about it...

Really?

Originally Posted By: wemay

All this [censored] about magnatec and other semi-synthetic oils etc. forget about it...

Really?

Yes, really!

Originally Posted By: wemay

Really?

Yes, really!

EB has been out long enough where if a systemic issue existed with the platform and/or lube (other than the switch from 5W20 to 5W30), it would have been covered here, not just anecdotal situational one-offs. Thousands of 3.5 EB Fords are running 5W30 Motocraft blend without issue. The vast majority of these owners oblivious to what oil spec is necessary, and service at the dealership under a maint pkg. "Just fill 'er up with what's recommended in my manual"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back