Conclusions on Ecoboost Engine Oil - Gas Turbo Direct Injection

3 km/day for 4 months = 360 km, not 1,110 km.
There were three separate 3km trips spaced across each day.

What went on with "Interval 2" around the 16,000 km mark?
I assume you mean "Interval 1". They switched from long trips to the same 3x3km/day driving schedule as in Interval 2, but only for 4 weeks. Ambient temperatures in this test were the coldest, with cold start temperatures ranging from -16 C to 9 C. Interval 3 was the same, but in the summer.

Yep, meant "Interval 1", where the dilution spiked up at around 16K km.

I believe the speed of the vehicle has nothing to do with determining which fuel injection method to use.

My understanding is that DI is used during moderate to heavy acceleration, and MPI is used under light/part throttle conditions.
My understanding is they start on MPI and then switch over to DI, that is why you hear the high pressure fuel pump after engine is warm, especially the 5.0 Coyote. The MPI will help to dissolve some of the deposit on the intake valve that is created by DI

Last edited:
Not questioning your choice, but TGDI engines are awfully common in the US and every SN+/SP oil has been reformulated to mitigated LSPI, a TGDI issue. So I don’t buy the notion that fuel dilution wasn’t considered as part of the reformulation. And I doubt any engine oil is happy with gasoline as an additive: the only solution seems to be increased viscosity.
Or changing the oil more frequently is a better option.

Here's one from a GM study with a PFI engine that isn't that far off from those conditions (SAE 932838). "Interval 2" had short trips for most of the test, three 3km trips per day for 4 months (1,100 km). The test started in sub-zero winter temperatures and ran through the spring. Fuel hits 11% quickly, then drops to 7.5% as the weather warms up. The last four data points for this interval are were taken after each of four 40 km trips.

View attachment 192134
What is this supposed to tell us? You (or someone) said this was for port injection? And the elbow in the curve is over 9,000 mi. One would think if they were trying to compare mineral to synthetic, they would have had an interval 4 with short-tripped mineral oil. Conversely, if they were trying to compare PFI to DI, where are the graphs comparing those 2 injection methods? Or perhaps an interval comparing some hybrid-injection or dual -injection system under similar circumstances.

I know this is a pipe dream, but perhaps all DI manufacturers should post similar duty-cycles, and if you present a UOA at reasonable mileage (certainly compliant with IOLM), within some warranty period, the manufacturer should be required to retune or ”fix” the dilution problem. My Ecoboost computer shows idling, so maybe they get an “out” for excessively idled engines. But simply saying the engineers know what theyre doing leaves me feeling “shortchanged.”

And yet they offer up to a 500k mile warranty if you use their oil exclusively. They must know something we don’t, since their actuaries would lose their minds if they did something stupid to lose money from excessive risk.
What percent of cars and pickups see that kind of mileage before rust, collision or a trans rebuild cost takes them to the junk yard,

I May start my own thread on this in the UOA section, but i had hoped to add to THIS discussion with my own 3.5 ecoboost partial UOA history.

MY interpretation is that fuel dilution ramps up quickly
the quality of the oil can matter; obviously viscosity does as well.
MY interpretation is run-of-the-mill (Walmart) synthetics are played out much sooner than some boutique brands. Of course, some “run-of-the-mill Euro oils (Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, QS) MIGHT hold up better. I don’t have any UOA’s on them (except in a Subaru…which looks MUCH better on paper…but it’s pre-DI EJ255 turbo.)

the one boutique oil I have experience with in this engine is Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10w30…an oil which might share a fair amount with one or more of HPL’s oils. It did pretty well “combatting“ fuel dilution, IMHO, over more-extended OCI’s; much better than Pennzoil (SN PUP & SN+ PP), QSFS SP, and even Castrol Edge SP (which perhaps did better than the others). My current fill is Amsoil Sig Series…I have no idea how it will do, and after that, I have some HPL PCMO queued up.

sample 1: Pennzoil Plat 5w30 SN+
sample 2: PUP 5w30 SN. **note fuel dilution at low miles **
sample 3: Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 (HDEO SN) “cleaning oil”
sample 4: QSFS 5w30 SP
sample 5: Castrol Edge 5w30 SP. **vehicle sat for summer & fall months…not driven; oil changed after brief warmup**

I have other UOA’s from TestOil/Dyson on the VPBR. Viscosity always stayed above 10.1, usually 10.7ish. dilution ranged from 2.1 to 5.3. Dyson OCI’s were ~7500-9600 mi.
IMG_1434.png

Last edited:
What percent of cars and pickups see that kind of mileage before rust, collision or a trans rebuild cost takes them to the junk yard,
How is that relevant to Pennzoil’s warranty? Just because there may be other reasons that may remove a vehicle from service means oil companies should lower the protection of their products? Kind of an odd take, rather than expecting auto manufacturers to come up with better corrosion protection or more durable transmissions.

Besides, if the 500k warranty is offered at no additional cost compared to competitive products, I fail to see the downside of this?

The new P.U.P. has less CALCIUM for L.S.P.I.. The S.P., GF-6A is about 1/2 the CALCIUM of the S.N. , GF-5 . Little under 1,200 .

Last edited:
Back