Washing removes wax...does it remove sealants too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, and as a general rule, washing your vehicle with most car wash soaps will remove your wax. It seems like most people will use a very small amount of their favorite wash soap to periodically clean their vehicle in hopes that it won't remove all of their wax to avoid re-waxing.

My questions is: does a typical hand-wash remove the sealant that you've applied? I'm assuming you've polished your vehicle to your satisfaction, used some product (i.e., Dawn soap, IPA wipedown, etc.) to remove and residual polish, and then applied a sealant and finally a wax.

If you hand-wash your vehicle, do you have to worry about removing the sealant (and thus, starting all over) or will you just likely have to re-wax?

Thank you,
Ed

I think most car washes wont remove wax. Whole point of waxing is to protect your paint from fallout, and if you wash it often you likely dont need to worry about wax as much since your paint never gets too contaminated. If you wash often, you likely wax often as well.

Yes and no. It wont remove it in one swoop but over time it will degrade as it normally would. When I wash I will finish with a spray wax to help boost the protection.

If your car wash removes the wax, I would increase the dilution ratio and find a better wax. Fk1000p is a great choice.

From my knowledge, most dedicated car wash solutions will not remove wax or sealant - though the sealants are generally more durable.

From below: "Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate is non-alkaline and non-acidic so it will not remove wax or dry out the paint."

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-car-wash-concentrate.html

"There is enough cleaning power to do battle with even the most cemented–on dirt and grime, yet the clean is so gentle your wax and polish will remain fully intact."

http://www.autogeek.net/mg7164.html

Last edited:
As noted already, the quality car wash solutions will not remove wax and are safe for both waxes and sealants. Over time, waxes should be reapplied, but it's not due to car wash solutions removing the wax.

Where people get in trouble is using dish washing detergent to wash their car. Yes, it cuts through the grease, but that will remove the wax rather quickly. The only time I've heard using dish soap being recommended is if you want to strip the car of wax and reapply as a full detail/restoration job.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
From below: "Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate is non-alkaline and non-acidic so it will not remove wax or dry out the paint."

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-car-wash-concentrate.html

It's my favorite car wash soap. Excellent cleaning ability, nice suds, gentle as it doesn't seem to strip protection, nice cherry scent and great sheeting action with it if you let the hose free flow from the top sections to the lower areas. Which helps when drying to avoid water spots. I'd wash early in the morning and some other car wash soaps were horrible with water spotting. Water is kind of hard here.

Washing your vehicle with a car wash soap from a reputable detail company will not remove wax or sealant. Also don't fall in love with the word sealant. Sealant is any synthetic wax that crosslinks. That's basically any non carnauba wax. Most sealants do advertise crosslinking right on the packaging, others that are polymer or are close enough like NuFinish avoid the lawsuits and don't even bother.

Detailing products in general are FAR easier to use that ever before. What used to take me hours by hand can be done in less than an hour... and it's far cheaper! That combined with wash+wax/wax-as-u-dry/spray wax over a solid base coat of wax or sealant and you really don't have to set aside a weekend or afternoon to wax a car.

If anything, the sealants cling too well. I can't get Collinite off with the fabled Dawn dishwashing soap. The new spray waxes are so good I'm never sure if it's time to reapply.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
From what I understand, and as a general rule, washing your vehicle with most car wash soaps will remove your wax.

You are misunderstanding the situation then. Most car wash soaps are specifically formulated to leave any wax/sealant alone. In fact, some car wash soaps even come with a wax/sealant mixed in so that they leave behind some protection when finished (though I wouldn't count on this level of protection for very long, it should not be trusted to last nearly as long as a regularly applied coat of wax/sealant).

It seems like most people will use a very small amount of their favorite wash soap to periodically clean their vehicle in hopes that it won't remove all of their wax to avoid re-waxing.

If people are doing that, they are being overly cautious IMO. Assuming they are using a good quality car wash soap, they should not have to intentionally cut down on the amount used to wash a car in the hopes it will leave their wax/sealant alone. Just follow the directions on the soap, usually one ounce per gallon of water, and it'll be fine.

My questions is: does a typical hand-wash remove the sealant that you've applied?

No, not if you are using a car wash soap meant to hand wash a car with, and you are using it in the correct dilution, e.g. 1 oz per gallon of water, give or take.

I'm assuming you've polished your vehicle to your satisfaction, used some product (i.e., Dawn soap, IPA wipedown, etc.) to remove and residual polish, and then applied a sealant and finally a wax.

If pre-wax prep is taken this far (most people don't BTW), and the application/removal and curing period are similarly done right, the wax/sealant layer you put down should bond well enough with the paint that you could hand-wash the car (with the proper car wash soap, in the proper dilution) every day for a month and still see some evidence of the wax/sealant layer on your paint.

If you hand-wash your vehicle, do you have to worry about removing the sealant (and thus, starting all over) or will you just likely have to re-wax?

Thank you,
Ed

If you hand wash your vehicle and use the proper product(s) in their proper amounts, you will not have to worry about re-waxing the vehicle for a long while*, depending up on the wax/sealant applied.

* - as a general rule, you can count on a natural, carnauba-based wax to last a month or two, maybe three if you are lucky. You could get even more time in between such waxings if you used a Wax-As-U-Dry with every car wash. But natural, carnauba-based waxes are hard to find nowadays, you'd have to specifically go hunting for them and likely have to order online somewhere to actually get one.

What you are more likely to find on the local auto store shelf (or Wal-Mart, etc.) is a hybrid natural/synthetic wax/sealant that will last upwards of 6 months if you prep the paint correctly and take care to apply according to the instructions and allow 24 hours moisture free curing time. Again, the length of time in between waxings can be extended with the usage of a Wax-As-U-Dry product during each hand wash session.

There are some fully synthetic waxes (your actual paint sealants are an example) that can go beyond 6 months with all the proper prep and care in between, but that life is also subject to the environment much more than others. Extremely hot climates, harsh climates, or similarly non-standard operating conditions will diminish the life of the sealant somewhat, so that it may not reach its full lifetime claim, e.g. 12 months. But in all fairness, any such wax would also be similarly diminished, not just the synthetic waxes/sealants.

Thank you all for the replies!

smile.gif

Interestingly, I e-mailed Collinite and I asked them this question if I specifically use their "Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476" and they said, "Washing your vehicle will not remove the 476s. It usually can withstand 40-50 washes."

Ed

smile.gif

Interestingly, I e-mailed Collinite and I asked them this question if I specifically use their "Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476" and they said, "Washing your vehicle will not remove the 476s. It usually can withstand 40-50 washes."

Ed

That's what I use. They aren't lying.

smile.gif

Ed

Their answer is a little misleading. If it survives 50 washes then about 2% is removed with each wash.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Bamaro, maybe it isnt just the wash that removes it. You have rain, sun, time, morning dew, wind, dust, etc...a whole plethora of factors.

It's definitely more this, with most waxes and sealants, for that matter, although Collinite will generally lost longer than most.

Any good car wash/shampoo, when used properly, will not strip much wax or sealant. The trick is using the right stuff, not using too much of the actual product, and not "scrubbing" too much when you actually wash.

The problem is when you use the cheap/poor-quality stuff, or use the wrong stuff. Only use a wash concentrate that is made for washing cars, and dilute it to the proper ratio. Also, make sure you're using a wash mitt or wash pad made of the right stuff. Microfiber/chenille is the way to go.

Lastly, any car enthusiast will tell you that you 'top up' your wax between washes using a spray wax or similar.

Dragging a cleaning cloth/mit across a surface causes friction. This friction will degrade the sealant to some degree. A high lubricity soap will minimize the loss.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Dragging a cleaning cloth/mit across a surface causes friction. This friction will degrade the sealant to some degree. A high lubricity soap will minimize the loss.

This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back