Prep for ceramic coating.

I've got the TEC ceramic coating that I want to use on both vehicles. I'm going to wash with Dawn detergent, clay bar, de-iron, try to remove water some water spots, prep polish for ceramic coat and then apply. I'm not sure about the order of doing these things. I used Black Diamond ceramic coating several years ago. It was not easy to use as it flashed right away and you had to use more than the instructions said. It was a dark SUV and was a pain. The coating was still beading water very well about 3 yrs later when I traded the car. The newer ceramic coatings are much easier to use(I'm told) because they have a longer flash time.
Any advice on what order to do these preps?

wipe entire vehicle with alcohol and allow to dry before applying.

You can skip Dawn it doesn't do much of anything and will leave surfactants behind that often mask the underlying protection giving some the idea that it removed it when in reality it didn't.

You can skip Dawn it doesn't do much of anything and will leave surfactants behind that often mask the underlying protection giving some the idea that it removed it when in reality it didn't.
I thought it removed most waxes, silicones etc.??

I thought it removed most waxes, silicones etc.??
I believe it originated among the Zaino crowd or around that time. Does little to nothing at all. If you're going to polish it doesn't matter, but you're better off with something else.

What often happens is some products will leave something behind whether that be protection or some type of surfactant, and when rinsing it would mask underlying protection. One of the reasons I use Reset is because it rinses clean with nothing left behind.

There is finally a new product coming out of Japan via Kamikaze that actually will remove sealants and even some coatings. And it appears to work very well.

Last edited:
I believe it originated among the Zaino crowd or around that time. Does little to nothing at all. If you're going to polish it doesn't matter, but you're better off with something else.

What often happens is some products will leave something behind whether that be protection or some type of surfactant, and when rinsing it would mask underlying protection. One of the reasons I use Reset is because it rinses clean with nothing left behind.

There is finally a new product coming out of Japan via Kamikaze that actually will remove sealants and even some coatings. And it appears to work very well.

Thanks. I used to use Zaino products. Was the best thing out there until ceramic coatings came along.

I've got the TEC ceramic coating that I want to use on both vehicles. I'm going to wash with Dawn detergent, clay bar, de-iron, try to remove water some water spots, prep polish for ceramic coat and then apply. I'm not sure about the order of doing these things. I used Black Diamond ceramic coating several years ago. It was not easy to use as it flashed right away and you had to use more than the instructions said. It was a dark SUV and was a pain. The coating was still beading water very well about 3 yrs later when I traded the car. The newer ceramic coatings are much easier to use(I'm told) because they have a longer flash time.
Any advice on what order to do these preps?

The correct order:
1.) Powerwash to remove heavy debris.
2.) Spray the iron remover on it until the chemical turns purple, then rinse.
3.) Warsh the car with dawn.
4.) Clay the car with emphasis on keeping clay lubricated with whatever spray you select.
5.) Warsh the car once more.
6.) Use an IP solution (isopropyl alcohol)

The correct order:
4.) Clay the car with emphasis on keeping clay lubricated with whatever spray you select.
At what point in the sequence would you do corrective polishing?

If you're using an IP solution you ideally don't' want to use more than 15%. IP is actually not that great. You need a paint prep that has solvency built in to break down the polish oils, not just move them around. Also, Dawn is a waste of time you can use it.

Two well received paint preps are Gyeon Paint Prep and Optimum Paint Prep. Optimum works fantastic and is a much better value then Gyeon. If you like pretty bottles and a good scent go with Gyeon.

The correct order:

Surprised Step 1 isn't Powerwarsh! :cool:

I'm a simple fellow, I run mine through the car wash because it's easy, I have lots of that Jay Leno orange detail spray and use that with a clay bar to go back and forth. Quick wipe down and then go through the wash again. Just like house paint....prep,prime, and then paint but here my last step would be for me..Megauiars Pink bottle Ceramic Prep, sometimes I borrow dad's Glaze and just hand do certain areas but mostly I just skip ahead to Meguiars Green Ceramic topcoat. I tend to put more effort of the hood,trunk and top as the sun and birds do the most damage per se. I try and microfiber and detail spray often to help maintain.

At what point in the sequence would you do corrective polishing?

After all of that. You want the paint spotless before you try to do any corrections. Otherwise you are embedding the dirt into the polishing pad, and essentially wearing away more of your clear coat than needed. Of course you can get amazing results even if the paint is not clean, but you are taking off too much clear in the process.

After all of that. You want the paint spotless before you try to do any corrections. Otherwise you are embedding the dirt into the polishing pad, and essentially wearing away more of your clear coat than needed. Of course you can get amazing results even if the paint is not clean, but you are taking off too much clear in the process.
👍 makes sense.

Back