Ordered/bought myself 6" Dual Action polisher/buffer...

Finally bought myself a DA buffer/polisher. NOT going into the detail business. Just to make things easier for me moving forward with my vehicles. After an initial good hand wash with quality soap and hand dry -- then a good clay bar cleaning. What polish is recommended before applying a quality wax? Any and all help much appreciated!!!

Ken

the answer really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If your paint is in great condition then a very fine polish is what you want. If you have a lot of surface defects (swirls, scratches, holograms) you'll want to start with a compounding polish...the worse condition your paint, the more aggressive the compound needed. You'll love the DA polisher, it's a game changer. I think I currently have Meguiars 105 (compound) and 205 (polish) on the shelf...although I've used plenty of different polishes through the years. Griots has some good stuff, kind of spendy, but pretty fool proof.....oh, and look into the new spray ceramic / wax coatings...I've used both Turtle wax and Griot's...I'll never go back to old school wax again.

Acura TL in signature gets handwashed and waxed twice yearly. Every other year I use a clay bar after a dawn liquid soap bath. Paint is going on 16 years old and has some swirl marks/fading at places. Would like to get familiar with this vehicle before I move onto the Rav4 eventually is my focal point.

The pad you choose for the DA also determines how aggressive the act of compounding or polishing will be. I don't know if you are an experienced user or brand new to a DA polisher...start with the least aggressive combination of pad & polish first on a test spot. The outcome will determine if you continue with that combo or step it up a notch.

Finally bought myself a DA buffer/polisher. NOT going into the detail business. Just to make things easier for me moving forward with my vehicles. After an initial good hand wash with quality soap and hand dry -- then a good clay bar cleaning. What polish is recommended before applying a quality wax? Any and all help much appreciated!!!

Ken
I have had good luck with 1 round of Meguiars M205 over the complete vehicle.

If you have any deeper scratches just do those spots with a heavier cut compound like meguairs ultimate compound then go back over with M205.

This is good balance of time vs. results on daily driver.

Back