Sealant vs Wax

I was reading that a wax will make your car shine and give the color more depth than a sealant type of product. So last week I did a paint correction on my truck using 3D 505 correction compound which has "montan wax" in it, then after I put a coat of Chemical Guys butter wax. I could swear the paint had more depth and shine before using the butter wax.
This is the first time using a 3D product and I will say I was impressed at how well it worked. I had never heard of Montan wax before, but reading up on it I see that it is a very hard, natural wax derived from coal.
My question is do you think the montan wax in the 3D is better than the carnauba based butter wax? Is it possible that the carnauba removed or compromised the layer of montan?
Your thoughts/experiences appreciated.

Last edited:
I will say the 3D 505 is the best correction compound I have ever used. Expensive but worth it.

The best protenant I have found and used is Turtle Wax Carminic hybrid.
I will check it out. I need something with superior UV protection because the 3R3 Barcelona red on my truck tends to fade to a pink-ish red if it's not protected. As a body shop technician I see it happen with that color frequently, it's a pain in the butt when I'm trying to pick a color variant to match or blend a repair.

Off the shelf- Griots 3-1 otherwise 9/10 spray sealants are going to give you a few months. But you can always re-apply easily.

Unfortunately there are no UV industry standard tests for paint protection. It's mostly marketing. I'm not even sure Optimum Spray Wax works.

I was reading that a wax will make your car shine and give the color more depth than a sealant type of product. So last week I did a paint correction on my truck using 3D 505 correction compound which has "montan wax" in it, then after I put a coat of Chemical Guys butter wax. I could swear the paint had more depth and shine before using the butter wax.
This is the first time using a 3D product and I will say I was impressed at how well it worked. I had never heard of Montan wax before, but reading up on it I see that it is a very hard, natural wax derived from coal.
My question is do you think the montan wax in the 3D is better than the carnauba based butter wax? Is it possible that the carnauba removed or compromised the layer of montan?
If you’re willing to spend, Gyeon Q2 Wax is incredibly good.

From my experiences detailing vehicles and talking with detailers sealant lasts longer and is usually applied on areas with higher heat like wheels etc as wax breaks down at a lower temp.

From my experiences detailing vehicles and talking with detailers sealant lasts longer and is usually applied on areas with higher heat like wheels etc as wax breaks down at a lower temp.
This makes a lot of sense. As I mentioned, I read up on montan wax and it's supposed to be supremely durable, it's used in many industrial applications.
I'm going to pass over the paint with the montan stuff again and see how long it lasts.

This makes a lot of sense. As I mentioned, I read up on montan wax and it's supposed to be supremely durable, it's used in many industrial applications.
I'm going to pass over the paint with the montan stuff again and see how long it lasts.
No conventional wax will even come close to the durability of a good sealant. Montan or not. The highest durability waxes are Soft 99 Fusso Coat and Gyeon Q2 wax. They are hybrid waxes with fluoropolymers.

How about a famous hybrid that is both a sealant and carnauba wax?
1694439209286.jpg

How about a famous hybrid that is both a sealant and carnauba wax?
View attachment 177954

I didn’t realize it was a hybrid!

Reading the info, it does say “….polymer coating” but I had never seen that before.

Great stuff, though! And it certainly is durable.

No, I’ve never found it to be a “bit of a pain” to use. Easy to apply to a properly prepared surface and easy to remove. Unless you use too much.

Having to heat the bottle sometimes to get it out isn’t a pain? It’s not the greatest user experience compared to modern stuff.

I prefer 476S/885 anyway if we’re talking Collinite.

I am a huge fan of griots 3 in1 spray wax. 95% of the good 10% the effort.
no streaking (I'm looking at you turtle wax graphine spray)
no fuss.
no effort really.
works great on windows/glass although I dont use it on windows that have wipers.
lasts 2-3x longer than any other spray wax I've used.

now I know many love to spend hours/days getting their car perfect and for that level of effort there are better products out there.
but for the guy who washes the car for 30m-1h and wants something easy and relatively amazing..
the griots:

They claim UV protection..but whats the test for that?

I am a huge fan of griots 3 in1 spray wax. 95% of the good 10% the effort.
no streaking (I'm looking at you turtle wax graphine spray)
no fuss.
no effort really.
works great on windows/glass although I dont use it on windows that have wipers.
lasts 2-3x longer than any other spray wax I've used.

now I know many love to spend hours/days getting their car perfect and for that level of effort there are better products out there.
but for the guy who washes the car for 30m-1h and wants something easy and relatively amazing..
the griots:

They claim UV protection..but whats the test for that?
It's a decent product, tad overrated.

I don't think there is a UV test. I think they bank on the chemical supplier saying there is UV protection. The guy from B&B made it sound like any sacrificial layer is adding some UV protection.

Detailing industry is filled with marketing claims that can't be substantiated.

It's a decent product, tad overrated.
compared to what? I'm open to trying something else...but I have tried a few others and nothing has the ease of use with no streaking on dark colors yet holds up.

The turtle wax graphene spray is ok at best.. mainly due to it streaking and requiring about 4-5x the effort for a good result as the griots.
I'm going to end up binning 2 bottles of that.

Back