Sealant vs Wax

compared to what? I'm open to trying something else...but I have tried a few others and nothing has the ease of use with no streaking on dark colors yet holds up.

The turtle wax graphene spray is ok at best.. mainly do to it streaking and requiring about 4-5x the effort for a good result as the griots.
I'm going to end up binning 2 bottles of that.
I've tried multiple brand Sio2 spray sealants - Turtle Wax, Meguiar's, Griot's, Gyeon, Carpro, IGL....they all work similarly. Griot's is the most durable you can readily get. Beading is OK, but not great. Contact angle is about 100 degrees. Most of the Sio2 spray sealants perform similarly. If you like using it just stay with it. The Griot's is a good one.

I like Griot's as well as a base coat (I'm a shade tree guy), which I use following directions of two coats applied 12-24 hours apart. I wasn't really pleased with the shine so found an old school liquid carnauba wax from a detailing shop that my sons use. It really makes our red SUV and red Miata pop.

Not at all
You can apply it to the whole car ,go for dinner then buff it off easily.
You need to warm up the bottle to get it out. Why would I waste my time with that when I can use something that lasts just as long out of a spray bottle? It's a really old product and time has moved on. It's still good, but I would never pretend it's a modern user experience.

I’ve never had to “warm up” the bottle. Just shake the hell out of it and it comes out the consistency of milk. A few ounces and car is done. Bottle last years
Me neither......
Unless I left the bottle outside in the winter.

Even the best spray wax sealants have little to no carnuba in them.

This is the stuff that gives the paint a nice glow and gloss.

Don't like shaking use 456 or 915.
Those give amazing gloss shine and longevity.

Me neither......
Unless I left the bottle outside in the winter.

Even the best spray wax sealants have little to no carnuba in them.

This is the stuff that gives the paint a nice glow and gloss.

Don't like shaking use 456 or 915.
Those give amazing gloss shine and longevity.
456 is definitely durable, but you better make sure you do one panel at a time.

With 845 I can do while car and then remove. Maybe a little less durable than the 456 but I’m ok with that for it’s ease of use

I have a tin of 476S still, but I don't use any waxes anymore. I just find they aren't as good as modern sealants and coatings except for looks. If I want looks alone I think that you're best off with something like Pinnacle Souveran or Natty's. If I was dead set on a wax I would probably switch to Gyeon Q2 Wax or Fusso Coat because the fluoropolymers have repellency and durability far beyond a normal wax. However, I don't think we need to be using fluorinated compounds where it's not strictly necessary given the health/environmental impacts of their manufacturing and byproducts that are being discovered.

Last edited:
I was reading that a wax will make your car shine and give the color more depth than a sealant type of product. So last week I did a paint correction on my truck using 3D 505 correction compound which has "montan wax" in it, then after I put a coat of Chemical Guys butter wax. I could swear the paint had more depth and shine before using the butter wax.
This is the first time using a 3D product and I will say I was impressed at how well it worked. I had never heard of Montan wax before, but reading up on it I see that it is a very hard, natural wax derived from coal.
My question is do you think the montan wax in the 3D is better than the carnauba based butter wax? Is it possible that the carnauba removed or compromised the layer of montan?
Your thoughts/experiences appreciated.
Try 3D 401 Express Wax with Montan wax.

Try 3D 401 Express Wax with Montan wax.
I’m so impressed with the 3D correction compound I am definitely going to use this, thank you for the info!!

ice seal shine seems to be the value leader for me. That being said its bead heavy so no bueno on cars that tend to be stationary as those beads will stay and cause water spots.

I will check it out. I need something with superior UV protection because the 3R3 Barcelona red on my truck tends to fade to a pink-ish red if it's not protected. As a body shop technician I see it happen with that color frequently, it's a pain in the butt when I'm trying to pick a color variant to match or blend a repair.
Try FK1000

Back