2017 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: BeerCan

HMM ok. Must be a regional thing. My 2011 EB had max tow and my 2016 has it as well. Was not difficult to find at all, I probably had at least 20 trucks to choose from between the 3 dealers I looked at.

Could be, I'm up in PA. I had been looking for trucks for about 6 months and only saw 2 used with Max Tow (Plenty with regular tow packages), one lasted 3 days and the other was the one I bought. New dealer stock was about the same thing - plenty of regular tow packages but no Max Tow ones.

It is not really a big deal anyway. Up to 2015 the differences were max tow had IBC, Locking diff and tow mirrors. 2016 looses the mirrors. Often dealers would put the IBC, locking diff and mirrors as separate line items just to push up msrp but etis would still show the trucks as max tow.

80-trailer_packages_912d3466cfce751963eb8e9ca4dbfb98d1893408.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks like truck bickering is identical to ricers, but instead of talking about V-Tecs and DOHC vs. pushrods it's about 0-60 while hauling a trailer. Both are equally hilarious.

Exactly! And I didn't buy my truck because it was "fast". To me that doesn't go in the same sentence as truck.

It's all about personal preference. Drive them all and enjoy the testing! We did...
Absolutely Your money your choice .They arr have their + and -

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

It is not really a big deal anyway. Up to 2015 the differences were max tow had IBC, Locking diff and tow mirrors. 2016 looses the mirrors. Often dealers would put the IBC, locking diff and mirrors as separate line items just to push up msrp but etis would still show the trucks as max tow.

Yeah - we knew a camper was in the works so I wanted Max Tow more for the additional payload than anything. We've got a Supercrew, Lariat 4x4 and still have a little over 1800 lbs payload.

The weird thing is I have the original window sticker as well as the online Ford one you can generate from the VIN and they both list it as Max Tow. ETIS shows just the components as separate line items.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Only bad thing is, the small engines beat themselves (& the whole drivetrain) up with the endless shifting-my Cummins can pull a 7K loaded trailer effortlessly up a moderate hill without even unlocking the converter-the Transit can't get into top gear with the same load AT 65 MPH on flat ground, & is perpetually down shifting to try to keep up. I've already had the Transit's rear axle shimmed once for excessive free play-at 23K it's actually getting sloppy again. Weak!

With a torque curve like this:

It's more like your Cummins than your N/A 3.7. Not sure the rear axle sees much of the loads from the shifting as it's rotation would be fairly constant.

That's a great chart, itguy08. The EB makes more torque up to 4200 rpm than the 6.2, and more torque than the 5.0 everywhere. This means that the EB makes more power at low engine speeds, and probably has more average power across the whole operating range. That's why people like to drive them. They can pull hills without buzzing the engine continuously at 4000 rpm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

And just a note to ITguy, you got so excited over the opportunity to say something critical about the RAM you forgot that any gearbox MULTIPLIES torque until it's in 1-1. But then your transmission expertise is noted here...

I know how a transmission works, thanks.

The 8 speed was supposed to be the end all from the Ram guys. It was supposed to have the RAM demolish the competition. It didn't for towing speed or MPG (Ram was last), or really anything else. The Hemi was last or tied for last in all towing metrics. The little GM 5.3 beat out the much more powerful Hemi....

The GM was the one to beat with it's 6.2 and 8 speed. The Ecoboost was a close 2nd.

Do you even own a pickup?

I do and it is a Ram with the 5.7 and ZF 8. It rides smooth, it accelerates more than adequate and it averaged over 27MPG on a round trip to Missouri this January. This is while hauling my wife and 2 youngest boys with all of our gear. Sorry to burst your bubble bud, this trip was better than any trip I have taken in a late model Ford or GM product.

Sorry truck trend or any other rag test does not equate to the real world or certain consumers preference. Not to mention I purchased this truck at around 80% of comparable F150's or Silverado 1500's and no matter what information you post from Truckin magazine the Ram is not 80% of the truck of a F150 or Silverado 1500.

Wow, that's some pretty good mileage. The best I have ever got on my Silverado 4.3 2wd exr cab was 22. I'm liking the Ram Express more and more.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
That's a great chart, itguy08. The EB makes more torque up to 4200 rpm than the 6.2, and more torque than the 5.0 everywhere. This means that the EB makes more power at low engine speeds, and probably has more average power across the whole operating range. That's why people like to drive them. They can pull hills without buzzing the engine continuously at 4000 rpm.

Few folks can discount the power output of either the 2.7 or the 3.5 Egoboosters. They are torque monsters...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Few folks can discount the power output of either the 2.7 or the 3.5 Egoboosters. They are torque monsters...

And this is why I like them. As long as they hold up and don't get worse mileage than the V8s, they're worth it in my book.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Wow, that's some pretty good mileage. The best I have ever got on my Silverado 4.3 2wd exr cab was 22. I'm liking the Ram Express more and more.

I have a 2wd Big Horn crew cab with 3.21 gears. I have about 22K miles on her. 656 hours of drive time and 38 hours of idle time. Average speed is 31MPH and right now average 19.2 MPG.

Averaging mid 20's MPG is easy when driving on the freeway. Driving an average of 72MPH on 106 mile round trip today netted around 25.5 MPG, keep in mind this was right before Phoenix morning rush hour and towards the end of evening rush hour. So there was some rapid deceleration and acceleration at times. This figure is on Chevron mid grade.

Now I just would like Phoenicians to obtain the ability not to slow down 20 MPH in a mile stretch and irrationally speed up by 25 MPH in the next mile only to slow down 15 MPH in the next 3 miles. Forbid actually planing to hit their exit 7 to 10 miles out. I guess their texts and facebook are too important to ignore at 76MPH on the interstate and drivers have to be in the HOV lane up to an half a mile from their exit and thus have to jump 3 lanes of traffic to far right lane in under 30 seconds.

This is almost as annoying as the holier than thou Civic driver in fast lane whom I pass in the right lane with cruise control on. Then I proceed to get about a 1.5 miles ahead of and merge back into the fast lane without increasing speed. Then the next thing I know he is passing me in the right lane. Then he proceeds to merge back into the fast lane and slows down 10MPH. That is just plain dumb.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Does anyone else want a V8 ecoboost or is it just me?

Do you even need to ask? I'd love a 5.0 Ecoboost F150 4x4 Supercrew!

650HP and 20MPG.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Does anyone else want a V8 ecoboost or is it just me?
It will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back